Giving Dickel its due

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Giving Dickel its due

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:57 pm

One of the ways (among several others) it would be easy to make me look foolish would be to give me a sip of Dickel No 12 whiskey whilst I was blindfolded and ask me to estimate how old and how much this whiskey costs. I would overestimate all both.

I take a certain amount of unjustified pride in my palate's ability to discern sophisticated and delicate whiskey. Dickel fits the bill and is not expensive and, as to its age, I simply do not know how old it is, but probably not more than 6 years because it is expensive to hold whiskey in the barrel for extended periods of time............especially if it ain't really getting better and you run the risk of tarnishing your reputation by putting out poor whiskey at a high price just because it is old (in my opinion this is just what the folks who put out Jefferson's Special Reserve 17 YO did). Back to Dickel.

By my lights, Dickel is excellent whiskey.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Giving Dickel its due

Unread postby BourbonDave » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:44 pm

I recently tried my first bottle of Dickel 12. I spent a whopping $15.

By far the smoothest whisky I've tasted for that price. It is an unbelievable value even if it isn't bourbon. I really think it is a pour that everyone should try just for comparison purposes. Who knows, maybe you'll find a very fine tasting pour in Dickel 12.

As far as the age, I've heard that it is between 8-10 years old. Maybe someone else can verify that.
BourbonDave

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:50 pm

When I was at United distillers, Dickel 12 was 10yo whiskey. I suspect it is less than that now, after the several year shut down, but probably averaging about 8yo.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Martian » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Here are the results of the 2010 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Tennessee Whiskey category. Interesting.

Tennessee Whiskey
Double Gold Medal, George Dickel Cascade Hollow Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] Need Price,
Gold Medal, George Dickel No. 8 Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] $17.
Gold Medal, George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] $19.
Gold Medal, George Dickel Barrel Select Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] $19.
Martian

Unread postby p_elliott » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 am

Martian wrote:Here are the results of the 2010 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Tennessee Whiskey category. Interesting.

Tennessee Whiskey
Double Gold Medal, George Dickel Cascade Hollow Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] Need Price,
Gold Medal, George Dickel No. 8 Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] $17.
Gold Medal, George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] $19.
Gold Medal, George Dickel Barrel Select Tennessee Whiskey, USA [40%] $19.

It's not like there is a lot of competition in the Tennessee Whiskey division let me guess JD did well too.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby Martian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:29 pm

JD did not win any awards in the Tennessee Whiskey category.
Martian

Unread postby ebo » Sun May 02, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm a big fan of Dickel 12. It's a mainstay in my house.
ebo

Unread postby barturtle » Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm

The San Francisco Spirits awards are a bit of a joke really. The "competitors" pay to put their entries in, best I can tell nearly every entry get some kind of rating (gold, silver, bronze)
barturtle

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Dickel 12 is a brand that seems to have gone from amazing value to good value, much like Evan Williams 1783. Right now I''m thinking of opening a late eighties Dickel 12 200ml that Howie scored for us a couple of years ago. Howie, if you're out there, thanks!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby ChewyLeatherTobacco » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:55 am

angelshare are you saying dickel is not like 80s as i have only liked my 80s no 12 but failed to like the 2006 barrel select and No 12. Thing i cant work out is sourmeshmanifeso seems spot with my no 12.
my old one the heat was slow while these for fast. then the corn is more vitamin like now. I am so stress on it.
also are you getting more tobacco leather notes in your 80s dickel.
ChewyLeatherTobacco

Unread postby Greg Adams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Dickel 12 is a under rated whiskey. It's my favorite Tenn. whiskey along with Dickel Barrel Select. I will always have a bottle or two in my cabinet.

Chewy, no one can answer your question as everyone's palate is different. See if you can find a 200 ml bottle of Dickel 12 down there in OZ and see what you think. I think you would be pleased a current Dickel 12. :D
Greg Adams

Unread postby ChewyLeatherTobacco » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:59 pm

thanks on reply and when 1st tasted unitited distillers dickel 12 i referred to it as Legendry! I can really see lumberjacks as dickel of choice in the mountain. it hugs you slowly. these bottle now do not. i have no tried any dickel after 2006.

I can only import 750mls at 150AU from Europe . UNINTED DISTILLERS stopped importing this over 15 years ago in oz and world.
i know USA has 200ml bottles but i cant order from usa. Look i could just import a vintage dickel at over 150au with united distillers sticker on it but there's many just no 8. i have no idea about no 8. never had it.

how can my recently imported barrel select 2006 on it - the store only just got. i was expecting 2010/11.

It not the palate. Im telling you the HEAT is not moving slow. there's a many long 2005-06 complaints all on net. i just want to know what 2010/2011 bottles as there no opinion anywhere. i would just like any info for referrence points and for my sanity and wallet. i also want to know why DICKEL 8 is in a few 80s 90s tv and moves clearly seen but never no 12. on tv episode was lumberjack based. Dickel in cold woods would be the best.
ChewyLeatherTobacco

Unread postby ChewyLeatherTobacco » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:03 am

can anyone recommand no 8 for sipping.

there are no 200ml in oz nor dickel for over 15y.
Its not my pale. I just drunk Glendonarch 15 and happy and matches reviews.

I just want to know are 2006 using late nighties dickel and does mean anything.
someone mention on this at any level.

The fresh corn seem underppinned somehow. its not doughy texture at all with is complex of soft and the chew and the heat is not taking its time.
ChewyLeatherTobacco

Unread postby Mike » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Chewy, welcome to the BE site. You sound a bit like a child in a candy shop. You seem to be quite taken with bourbon/tennessee whiskey but have a limited but expensive selection from which to choose. I think the questions you as are good ones, but ones that none of us can really answer in a way that would offer you any real satisfaction. The questions you ask must be answered for you by YOU. Personally, I think the Dickel whiskies are very good and better than all Jack Daniel's whiskies except the JD Single Barrel.......... and they are usually a bit cheaper.

In my opinion, you are trying to make definitive judgements about American Whiskey way too early. Your palate will change as you try more whiskies and even the same whiskies will taste a bit different at different times. Since your selection is limited and not cheap, try different whiskies as you can find and afford them........ but do not make very many decisions as to which is the best just yet. Instead of looking for the best that is available to you, look to enjoy as many as you can to find out more about your own palate....... and give yourself time, no need to rush this, because, at its best, whiskey drinking (in proper moderation and with proper respect) is a lifetime, everchanging proposition. What you enjoy this year (bourbon, rye, scotch, irish whiskey, cognac, or whatever) may not be what you prefer next year........ and so much the better say I.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby ChewyLeatherTobacco » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:02 am

i dont think im being childish at all!
100% my taste. 100% outstanding balance. Beam, Danials not even close.

Still my Question: are some batchers from 2006 bottles using overage or underaged whisky. and what difference does it make. I would notice right away.

i can say the empty glass smells 100% dickel and has that fresh ingredient aroma and so dam nice
. but the taste, texture and smell is not very good.

this is based on No 12 and Select i imported from uk at big $$$$.
ChewyLeatherTobacco

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey