Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:06 pm

Now when I read that Rick Wasmund's momma had a hand in making this whisky, I had to have me a sip. And, while it ain't cheap, cheap, at $36 it ain't dear, dear, either.

It is 'hand made' up near bunghole territory (Virginia) and is made in very small batches. You know when you have to pull mom into the process, it is both special and likely operating on a shoestring.

Mr. Washmund uses fruit wood directly suspended in his oak barrels, which by his lights, accelerates the aging process.

The aroma of this whisky is unlike any I have ever encountered. It has a malty attack, strongly influenced by the apple and cherry wood. There is an acridness in the nose that I find interesting and appealing in its uniqueness. I am more wont to compare it to an exotic but compelling main course dish than to a whisky. I can't help but wonder how a chicken marinated in a concoction with this whisky would taste.........excellent, I suspect.........maybe I will try such!

This whisky is 96 proof and has a bit of a kick..........but it seems to me that it needs and deserves it. While the malt heritage is very apparent here, the fruit woods complement the malt very nicely. There is a bit of the acrid dryness that wood will often introduce into a whisky and this one has it in abundance. It just barely evades being too dry.

But dryness is a legitimate component of taste and mouthfeel..........appreciated by some and not so much by others. For myself, I don't find it out of character that often, and not in this whisky.

I like this stuff, with its malty sweetness, its woody fruitiness, and its dry finish. It is its own flavor and, besides, I would never, ever, have the nerve to tell Rick's mom that I didn't like his whisky..............fortunately, I don't want to.

I can hardly wait to concoct a recipe for chicken or pork with this whisky playing a lead flavoring role.............and to have my next sip..........and to try it out on my whisky drinking friends.

I recommend it for a change............keep an open mind and palate!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:53 am

I haven't tried it and don't, in principle, like to see Americans making malt whiskey, but I really like, again in principle, what he's doing with the fruit wood. That's the right kind of innovation.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

I have not had a sip of this whiskey in a while, probably at least a year or more. In that time, I have become more fond of malt (barley) whiskies and find the malt sweetness appealing.

My impressions from the first tasting are completely confirmed and I would change nothing in the way I described it, except that I like it even more now. I am unsure as to why Chuck Cowdery opposes American made malt whiskey, but I am sure he has reasons that he can defend well as he is a very astute fellow.
Last edited by Mike on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky

Unread postby vince » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:52 pm

I really enjoy this whisky as well. It is a great change of pace whisky to me. Very unique and enjoyable. You do need to have an open mind as it is not comparable to other whisky's. The taste stands on its own
vince

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey