Jack Daniels Barrel Strength

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Jack Daniels Barrel Strength

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:55 pm

So I can definitely understand the impulse to turn your nose up at "Jack Daniels" but on a whim I bought a bottle of the Jack Daniels Barrel Strength and I will say, it really is good. Lots and lots of flavor and some stronger wood notes. I don't know if it's fair to compare it directly to straight bourbons as they are going for different things, but in comparison to the whole world of "American Whiskey", I would say it's definitely a great bottle to try. If you already are a Jack Daniels fan, it's a must. All just my opinion of course.
fenderbender4

Re: Jack Daniels Barrel Strength

Unread postby fricky » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:17 pm

What is your opinion when you compare it to Kentucky Straight Bourbon? I hope to find a bottle so that I can compare it.
fricky

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm not sure on the mashbill, etc. of Jack. It's probably available to look up, but trying to challenge myself a bit. There really is a whisp of a charcoal kind of thing on the finish that's different. It's not char, but almost a hint of what you smell at a picnic in the summer with one of those old webber/charcoal grills. It's not overwhelming by any means.

I do get the sweetness and corn kind of hit but for an odd reason, the sweetness comes across as a bit more of fruit candy rather than the corn sweetness I find in bourbons. The body isn't as full as what I get from say Booker's. The JDBS has some slight tannic dryness but not a lot of oak flavor, kind of an interesting mix there.

Overall I still am in the bourbon camp, but from a quality perspective it really is worth a shot I'd say. Plus everyone's palate is different and the qualities "Person A" likes in a whiskey will be the exact qualities "Person B" hates in a whiskey. Hope that helps a little. I'm not good at being specific in my palate, I just kind of know which whiskies I end up liking and others less so.
fenderbender4

Unread postby Squire » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 am

Good review fender.
Squire

Unread postby fricky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:22 am

I like your review fenderbender. I picked up a bottle at the Party Source in Bellevue, KY yesterday and look forward to tasting it when I return to PA.
fricky

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Let me know what you all think after trying it.
fenderbender4

Unread postby whiskey buyer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 am

The sweetness you taste in Jack Daniels is the thing that separates it from bourbon. Jack Daniels is filter with sugar-maple charcoal prior to casting it.
The charcoal adds a touch of sweetness.
Their single barrel is excellent!
whiskey buyer

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:41 pm

whiskey buyer wrote:The sweetness you taste in Jack Daniels is the thing that separates it from bourbon. Jack Daniels is filter with sugar-maple charcoal prior to casting it.
The charcoal adds a touch of sweetness.
Their single barrel is excellent!

Thanks for the info. Now I know the details on what I'm picking up. Like I said, I thought it was sweet but also a different sweetness than a bourbon (at least the younger, low-rye mashbills I've tried).
fenderbender4

Unread postby whiskey buyer » Sat May 28, 2016 9:42 pm

fenderbender4 wrote:I'm not sure on the mashbill, etc. of Jack. It's probably available to look up, but trying to challenge myself a bit. There really is a whisp of a charcoal kind of thing on the finish that's different. It's not char, but almost a hint of what you smell at a picnic in the summer with one of those old webber/charcoal grills. It's not overwhelming by any means.

I do get the sweetness and corn kind of hit but for an odd reason, the sweetness comes across as a bit more of fruit candy rather than the corn sweetness I find in bourbons. The body isn't as full as what I get from say Booker's. The JDBS has some slight tannic dryness but not a lot of oak flavor, kind of an interesting mix there.

Overall I still am in the bourbon camp, but from a quality perspective it really is worth a shot I'd say. Plus everyone's palate is different and the qualities "Person A" likes in a whiskey will be the exact qualities "Person B" hates in a whiskey. Hope that helps a little. I'm not good at being specific in my palate, I just kind of know which whiskies I end up liking and others less so.

The sweetness you taste is not from the corn but the sugar maple charcoal they filter Jack through.
The single barrel is an excellent whiskey.
whiskey buyer

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:31 am

I have not yet seen the JD Barrel Strength but I would buy it in a minute. I think the JD Single Barrel is one of America's great whiskies. I do not dislike any JD products, but in my experience the higher proof ones carry more interesting flavors. For one thing we can presume that they are subject to a selection process that would not include the inferior barrels that every distillery throws in with there usual offerings.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:42 am

I bought one Mike. It is extremely sweet but very good.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:30 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:I bought one Mike. It is extremely sweet but very good.
Joe

Yeah, kind of my take. Once again though...seems like a "candy" sweetness vs. a corn sweetness (bourbon). I'm guessing both are comprised of corn syrup (in regards to the candy comparison) but JDBS reminds me of a kind of "finished' corn syrup sweetness.
fenderbender4

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:14 pm

I almost pulled the trigger on this one over the weekend. I am not a fan of their Old No. 7 but I do like their single barrel. Maybe I'll grab one for this coming weekend.

Is the sweetness more pronounced than the standard single barrel?

RG
RandyG

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:26 am

RandyG wrote:I almost pulled the trigger on this one over the weekend. I am not a fan of their Old No. 7 but I do like their single barrel. Maybe I'll grab one for this coming weekend.

Is the sweetness more pronounced than the standard single barrel?

RG

Sorry, never tried their single barrel.
fenderbender4

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey