Straight Rye Whiskey returns to Maryland!!!

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Straight Rye Whiskey returns to Maryland!!!

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:03 pm

From the Civil War era until 1972 when the last rye whiskey distillery in the state shut down, Maryland was known for its rye whiskey.
Now for the first time since 1972, a single barrel of Maryland Straight Rye Whiskey has been made, aged for 2 years in a new charred oak barrel, and bottled in the state of Maryland thanks to Fiore Winery/Distillery.
200 bottles are still available only at the distillery in Pylesville, Maryland about an hour north of Baltimore and at 90 proof and only $25 per bottle, it's quite a deal for such a historic and rare bottle of Maryland straight rye whiskey!
The mash bill is 100% rye and it's some tasty stuff. At 98% rye, BPR(Baltimore Pure Rye) is one example of a long lost Maryland Straight Rye Whiskey that had a high rye mash bill.
If you can, pay them a visit and get up to 3 bottles per person. They also make what seems like more than 20 different wines as well as vodka, moonshine in several flavors, and brandy.
Because of the very limited supply they are not advertising their rye whiskey on their web site.
http://www.fiorewinery.com/
Attachments
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG (297.03 KiB) Viewed 6672 times
WhiskeyCollector

Re: Straight Rye Whiskey returns to Maryland!!!

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:05 pm

But two years is not nearly old enough.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:But two years is not nearly old enough.

It's old enough to be straight whiskey plus a small and relatively new distillery can't really wait as long for aging as bigger distilleries can.
I tasted the unaged whiskey they make and this 2 year old rye and there's a pretty big difference.
It's not the best or most flavorful whiskey I've ever had but it's definitely nowhere near the worst. I'd compare it to Canadian whiskey like Canadian Club as far as the flavor and smoothness and it's a good whiskey to bring back Maryland Straight Rye.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby Squire » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Old enough to be labeled as a straight but not nearly old enough to tempt me as a customer. I understand their reasons for rushing a young product to market but I'm under no obligation to fund their start up costs.
Squire

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:34 am

Squire wrote:Old enough to be labeled as a straight but not nearly old enough to tempt me as a customer. I understand their reasons for rushing a young product to market but I'm under no obligation to fund their start up costs.

I've been collecting Maryland rye whiskey antiques for a couple years and I see it as being a collectible and possible investment. A bottle of whiskey with less than 250 in existence is rare, and to get it for $25, even better. Since I've tasted it, I can say it's worth every cent. In a couple more years much bigger distilleries in Maryland will start bottling their rye whiskeys, and maybe Maryland Rye will become popular once again.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby Squire » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Could well be, I understand the attractions of collecting. Not my focus though as I only buy whisky to drink and if it comes in a plastic jug that's fine.
Squire

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey