A change of pace

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

A change of pace

Unread postby Mike » Wed May 23, 2007 9:04 pm

In my saloon, I keep a few spirits other than bourbon. I enjoy Scotch once in a while, also, a shot of Tequila, and a tankard of rum, and yes, a tipple of Cognac.

Today, I went for the Cognac for the first time in a while. I am sipping an XO Cognac from maison surrenne. It is 34 years old and is very fine. It is just beyond me why anyone who likes alcoholic spirits would not like Cognac.

The aroma is very floral and nectar like in its sweetness, with just the slightest nutty hint, along with a wiff of ripe tangerines. There is nothing assertive about it, it is almost gentle, but still quite sensual as it wafts into the nose. At 82.4 proof the alcohol is only midly discernable. The nose of this Cognac is quite incredible, you just go back and back for more.

The taste is thick with delicate sweetness, but not cloying. It is backed by some spicy bite at mid-palate. I cannot adequately describe the best component of the taste, just as I could not adequately describe the best part of the aroma. It is like tasting flowers directly from heaven. It is like looking at Catherine Deneuve, the most beautiful woman who ever lived (aside from my wife). It is enrapturing!

Beyond knowing that I find great pleasure in sipping this Cognac, I know very little about it beyond the basics. Still, it is an absolutely not to be missed tasting experience. Like with most things worthwhile in this life, it is to be consumed and enjoyed in leisure, and with patience. Incroyable, mes amis!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey