Georgia Peach Flavored Whiskey

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:21 pm

A follow up to my assessment of Georgia Peach Flavored Whiskey. I have compared GPGW to Southern Comfort (70 proof). My 'opinion' follows.

The aroma of SC is quite floral and peachy in its nose, very pleasant indeed. It taste is good also, it is just what you expect and will please many palates. I do find it a bit cloying in its sweetness.......the sweetness does not go deep and seems to have been purchased on the cheap.

GPFW is not what you expect. The sweetness is deep and intense, but is complemented, supplemented, and lengthened by the time spent in the barrel, and, as I now know, courtesy of Todd Leopold the distiller, by the peach stones.

If I drank SC at a loud party, I would be vaguely aware that it is sweet and pleasing. A sip of GPFW at a loud party would make me find the hostess to discover what I am sipping.

I will try other products from the Leopold Brothers!

P.S. I tried Gary Gillman's suggestion of adding a good bourbon (Maker's Mark)........although I went with only 30% bourbon. I prefer the GPFW on its own.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Mike wrote:A sip of GPFW at a loud party would make me find the hostess to discover what I am sipping.

So THAT's how you found out its name, you old dog, you!
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:12 am

Mike, don't give up on the bourbon addition idea. Maker's might be too bland. A dash of rye-recipe bourbon, or rye whiskey, might result in something different. Also, the proportions are important (I'd go at least 50% with the bourbon or rye). Just a thought.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:53 pm

Gary, I mixed approximately 50/50 GPFW and Four Roses Single Barrel (you know I am serious about this because FRSB is one of my favored bourbons and I would vat it with great trepidation).

Your suggestion is a capital one. The nose of each constituent is changed dramatically and marries the best of each.

The floral and fruity elements of the FRSB unite with the peach and raisin flavors of the GPFW to deepen each. It is somewhat less sweet, but every bit as intense in flavor. Yet, in spite of the intensity, a sublety and delicacy emerge that are just superb.

I like Grand Marnier, B&B, Drambuie, and other liqueurs and I find that this vatting lies 'twixt a liqueur and whiskey. It is a bit less sweet than the above liqueurs, but sweeter and more richly viscous than whiskey. The sweetness is enriched by a wee skosh of wood, a nice dose of FRSB rye fruit (it comes out as dried grapefruit/orange peel), raisins, dried flower essence (John Lipman will have a cow with these descriptors and I admit I am reaching), but I am quite taken with this concoction.

I have about half a bottle of GPFW and will sacrifice half a bottle of my FRSB in favor of this fantistic exilir. My Vet's restraining advice and my own will power are out the window on this,

I am on my third 50 ml and heading for another.............dear friends, all is lost, I am off the deep end...........surely this is the devil's brew! Help! Help!...........no........don't help, mix another batch! Ah, we mortals, such a pitiful lot!!!!
Mike

Re: Georgia Peach Flavored Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 pm

I am back in the thrall of this GPFW and the Four Roses Single Barrel vatting. I haven't had any in many moons and found it in the back on one of my shelves. Can't add anything much to my last post except to say that Gary Gillman was right about adding a robust bourbon at 50/50 to boost the alcohol (which is now at 80 proof) and offset the intensity of the overripe fruit.

My apologies to the Leopold Brothers for messing with their product, but they must have known that this Peach Whiskey is so intense that it was ripe for use in other pastures (a few sips and I am adrift in mixed metaphors).

I have not yet used this in cooking, but think it really would work in small amounts with a pork roast or with a roast chicken. I will give it a go soon and report back.

A good while back I caught Barleycorn putting some on his Roy Rogers dog food (he claims all dry dog food is made with 30% sawdust) and had to hide it from his greedy paws. He also claims that his Old Crow bourbon is barely good enough to drink and is unworthy to add to the dog food. You know I need to buy me a bottle of Old Crow and try same, can it be as bad as all (including me) say it is? It once had a glorious reputation and was (I believe) Mark Twain's bourbon of choice.

Now, in case you dint know it, Mark Twain is among the 6 or 5 greatest Americans ever to live, right there longside Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Grant, Lee, and Hopalong Cassidy (how come Hoppy never had no dog food like Roy Rogers?............bet Barleycorn would like Hoppy's dog food!).

Anyone out there able to catch us up on the Leopold Brothers news?
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Mike, excellent work, I am sure I would like the results. I am sure the Leopolds would not mind because something good can be used in different ways. Cognac and Grand Marnier are sometimes blended, or brandy and Benedictine, to the point that the companies put out their own proprietary versions. Experiment on. As long as the theory is sound, the results will usually be excellent.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Leopold » Mon May 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Don't mind you blending with our Peach whiskey in the least, Mike. It's intended to be a handcrafted desert whiskey, that's made for cocktails or for cooking. Plenty of places use it as a reduction for pork or lamb.

We have bourbon and rye aging currently (we'll do a 2 yr. and a BIB for both), and just released our Small Batch American Whiskey, which is a bit of a pre-prohibition throwback. We ferment bourbon mash, solids and all without refrigeration. Pitch in the low 70's with multiple yeast strains, allowing the yeast to consume all the yeast, and then allow for some lactic formation. We then distill the entire mash in a pot still....not a hybrid still....but a real straight up Vendome pot still, and then distill it a second time to a low proof. We then cut it to a barrel entry of 49%, and age it as is....no humidification etc.

Glad you're enjoying the Peach Whiskey.
Leopold

Unread postby gillmang » Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm

That sounds great, Todd, keep it coming.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Previous

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey