To Gary Gillman, our Canadian Friends and Forty Creek!

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

To Gary Gillman, our Canadian Friends and Forty Creek!

Unread postby Mike » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:19 pm

When I was at 'my' liquor store t'other day, I saw some Forty Creek Canadian Whiskey at about $19. Because I believe I remember Gary mentioning Forty Creek in a favorable light, I decided to give it a go.

In general I like Canadian whiskies for their smoothness, but not so much for their complex flavors.

On the other hand there is Forty Creek. I think it is an exceptional Canadian whiskey. It has a rich fruity nose with a bit of leather and nuts, and a whiff of the sherry from the finishing cask. On the palate it is rich and creamy, with sherry sweetness holding on in the midst of a spicy mild pepper finish that leaves a moderately long glow.

Salute to Gary, all Canadians, and to Forty Creek!!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Mike,
I'm guessing you mean Forty Creek's Barrel Select, as that's the more complex and sophisticated (and Canadian!) of their two brands. The other is Three-Grain, which is as close to a Canadian "bourbon" as you're likely to get, and not a bad example at all, either. The Three-Grain is pretty good, but the Barrel Select ranks right up there with some of the best, and is easily one that Canada (that means you, Gary :D ) can be justifiably proud of.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:18 am

You know, I like Forty Creek, I really do. But I have one bottle each of Three Grain and Barrel Select, and I've had them for years. When I go to the cabinet to get a drink, there's always something else I want to drink more, usually (okay, almost always) a bourbon.

The Forty Creek isn't alone, it's sitting back there with a bottle of Philips Union, a couple bottles of Irish Whiskey, a bottle/jar of Georgia Moon, etc.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:18 pm

Thanks Mike and John, too. Chuck is of course a died-in-the-wool bourbon man and I understand that. But Barrel Select can appeal to those who want sometimes a milder palate. I like (no surprise) to blend Barrel Select and Three Grain but I can't anymore since Three Grain is off the market now. But another, somewhat blander whisky from Kittling Ridge was released recently which has taken the place of Three Grain. It is useful to blend with Barrel Select (so is the Philips Union in my view) but I find it a bit bland on its own. I have gotten cognac-like smoothness and flavor depth with such vattings/blendings and sometimes blend in other Canadians especially Lot 40. This is how I get to the complexity that bourbon offers without more.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey