Stop the Press: Important Rye Whiskey News!

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Stop the Press: Important Rye Whiskey News!

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:43 am

Periodically I return to http://www.ellenjaye.com to re-read the great whiskey pages of John and Linda Lipman and (until now) with forlorn hope that I would see posted their long-promised page on the rye distilleries of Eastern Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Well, I dialled in this morning and lo and behold the article is there! And it is fantastic and I've only read a small part of it! Well done John and Linda. This is a treasure trove for those interested in the history and traditions of rye whiskey (and related whiskeys). What a labor of love this must have been, the research is amazing and the text and pictures highly informative. The Michter's article looks just great I can't wait to read it. I just finished the Pikesville one and greatly enjoyed it. Congratulations!

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:56 am

Gary,
I agree with you about John and Linda's website (It is John and Linda's site even though she makes him do most of computer work, Linda is heavily involved in the research and development stages). John and Linda's site is highly respected and I have heard from more than one distiller, one of the best sites on the internet.

John has a deep interest in rye whiskey and it shows. He is working hard to discover all he can about Pennsylvania rye origins because of his ties to the state. This of course leads him into researching Maryland rye as well. I disagree sometimes with John conclusions, but never with his research.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks Mike, you are amongst the small but dedicated group who pursues whiskey research and your own commendation means a lot. John and Linda have a unique style, a warm approach to the writing and I love the way they use photographs and charts and other such pictorial aids. I feel like a kid in the candy store. :)

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Gary,
John and I argue quite a bit when we meet about different points. Sometimes one of us will pick a side just to argue! This makes for lively debate and makes both of think and rethink about what we know. You should join us sometime. It is a lot of fun. Lindas thinks we are insane and she may be right, but we do it anyway.

With that said, I will repeat that I have quite a respect for what John has learned and where he learned it. I think highly enough of John that when a distiller was asking a history question recently, I told them that John Lipman was better informed than I was and had John call the distillery to answer their question.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Joeluka » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:55 pm

Everytime I head over to their website I spend at least an hour there.
Joeluka

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Mike I'd love to join you two for those discussions! I don't know when I can do that, let me know the next time you do it, maybe I can come down. Of course all enthusiasts will sometimes disagree about this or that and as you know I no less but when it comes to the Lipmans, you, Chuck, in fact all the people who consider seriously the questions we jaw over, I only have the greatest respect for you all. Really. I guess we all come it at from our own perspective. E.g. I love those historical extracts and notes you post and your theories about say whether bourbon had a larger meaning back when. John and Linda put their own stamp with their visits to disused (in most cases) sites and I just love that. They are practicing a kind of industrial archeology, is perhaps the correct term, but they've gone beyond that with e.g. that history of the Pikesville brand, that's so impressive. Anyway, I'm honoured you guys (Veach/Lipmans) would want me around for one of those chats. One day it will happen!

gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:01 pm

Gary,
We will have to get you down sometime for a night of tasting. Maybe you can referee when John and I start debating!

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Strayed » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:03 pm

Everyone knows that there are two sides to any conversation. In fact, you can't even HAVE a conversation unless there are two sides. I mean, what kind of conversation is this? ...

"Blah-blah, blah blah blah blah"
"Yup! That's right!"

Through the years we have known Mike Veach, who we both consider to be the most knowlegeable person on earth about Kentucky (and especially Louisville) bourbon, we have enjoyed his friendship on many levels. One of those is his acceptance of us as a (good-natured) thorn in his side. I think it's possible that Mike (we're lucky enough to be able to call him Mike, as are you; less-fortunate media folk refer to him as "Michael Veach, Special Collections historian for the Filson Historical Society") never encountered a dissenting question until we started bugging him -- at least not one he couldn't easily dismiss. And we feel incredibly honored by that. I have often noted that nearly everything known about Kentucky bourbon was either quoted directly from Michael Veach or was paraphrased from the writings of someone quoting directly from Michael Veach.

Mike has actually adopted, and presented officially to the historical peerage, some of our ideas about the origins of Bourbon Whiskey. To be able to influence a person of such stature is an incredible honor, and one we do not take lightly. We feel Mike enjoys the logical and mental sparring that we also enjoy. We have always felt that it isn't our small knowledge that counts; it's the fact that we know enough to be able ask questions that require an expert to stretch beyond the easy limits in order to answer.

Gary has much the same knack, and since he considers us to be experts as well as Mike (boy, are WE stoked by such a comparison - and that's for real, not sarcastic) that puts him in the same position to us as we are to Mike. I'd like to see Mike (since he's the only one with the connections to be able to do it) assemble himself, us, Gary Gillman, and maybe a couple of others similar to us and put together an American Whiskey History Panel Discussion similar to the ones he did for the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. Maybe we could do appearances at the various festivals and whiskey shows.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:26 pm

Thanks John for your generous remarks in my regard. To talk whiskey with you guys is an honour anywhere, anytime I can do it.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:14 am

John,
Thanks for your kind words and being a thorn in my side! I really do appreciate it when we get together for our discussions because we both look at things from every angle when we discuss even the most common historical and production information. Maybe at the Sampler, you, Gary and I can do a dry run of such a panel. It will of course involve sampling some whiskey and more than a few sidetracks.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:28 am

Sounds great Mike!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey