Rock and Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Rock and Rye

Unread postby Joeluka » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:17 pm

This question is for Gary "Vatman" but if anybody else has a formula they want to share that would be great.
I want to make my own Rock and Rye, I have plenty of bottles of rye and I bought about 3 pounds of Rock candy. Is this all I need to make it? When do I put the fruit in and what fruit do you use??
Can I add more fruit to my bottle of Jaquins Rock and Rye?
Please help me out. Thank You
Joeluka

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi Joe, thanks for the query.

Well, if you have Jacquin's Rock and Rye you have one template. Its taste is very complex and something like that of Turkish delight. I blend it 50/50 with any good 100 proof rye or rye-recipe bourbon, but it is a unique taste that can also be appreciated neat (on ice I suggest). Actually it would go great with Old Potrero - the complex 19th century-style taste and perfume of the Jacquin's are ideal to off-set the feisty taste of young straight rye. And when done right I think the blend improves the taste of both products and offers a unique flavor. The other Rock and Ryes available are quite different: they tend generally to the peach/citrus in taste. In fact I would say the Jacquin taste (in what is admittedly a small category) seems atypical. Hiram Walker's is a good example of the citrus/peach norm. Leroux' Rock and Rye is another and it has actual fruit added (green grapes and a lemon slice).

Start by putting rock candy in any straight rye - I think a high proof one would work the best, to help counterpoint and balance the sugar - say WT's rye or Rittenhouse Bonded. Layer the sugar on the bottom, say an inch or two. Shake the bottle periodically until the liquor absorbs enough of the sugar (even when left to clear)

You may add (optionally) sliced fruit in it to macerate. Either lemon or orange. My Leroux Rock and Rye as I said appears to have grapes in it (green I think, two) and a slice of lemon. The fruit is clearly, within reason, optional (i.e., I wouldn't use apple but I might use pineapple).

You will have a superb drink.

Some early recipes incorporate, oddly perhaps, celery. I don't know why but if you try that, be careful. :)

The essence of the compound is straight rye and rock candy. After that the fruited addition is up to you.

Good for you for trying this; let us know the upshot.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey