Sazarac Rye Tasting notes

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Sazarac Rye Tasting notes

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:24 am

I opened my bottle of Sazerac rye at the Bourbon's Bistro last night and shared with about 8 of my friends. Here is my first impression

Sazarac Rye

90 Proof

No Age Statement but John Vereeke told me it was 6 years old

Bottle 902 of the first 1,000 bottled

Color: Light Amber or Burnt Orange

Nose: Sun dried peaches and spice with a hint of caramel and oak.

Taste: Rye grass and fruit - peaches and light caramel with a huge burst of cinnamon spice. No alcohol burn but a very pleasant warmth in the mouth and throat.

Finish: Fruity and sweet at first with a dash of spice and caramel. A little oak wood ends the finish leaving a very clean palate.

Notes: This rye just screams "Deep South" and New Orleans. It is not a rye from the sea coast of Maryland or the river banks of Pennsylvania and definitely not from the cold wastes north of the border. This rye is about steamboat and jazz bands with southern belles at the horse races. It is very different from the Old Overholt or Wild Turkey Ryes in a very positive way. It will be a hit.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:49 am

Thanks for posting your tasting notes, Mike. I look forward to trying some soon.
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Thanks from me also, Mike, the product sounds very nice and you expressed its evident merits very well. Sounds like the ideal whiskey to make a New Orleans Sazerac with. By the way, the whiskey is 7 years old, this was confirmed by Ken Weber on the other board. The launch was delayed due to the disasters in New Orleans, and the whiskey got older. Doesn't sound like the extra time did it any harm. :)

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Linn and Gary,
I am glad you liked the notes. It is a very good product and everyone who tried it last night agreed that it will be a winner. It is more than simply a pretty package - the product's quality will make it worth purchasing more than once.

It really does have that southern flair to it. I was sipping it last night after I got home and kept getting visions of Mike and Barleycorn sitting on a porch on a star lit night discussing the virtues of this rye. Barleycorn had the stronger arguement. Of course I had had 6 drinks before I got home so I could be wrong.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:14 pm

Mike,

I also thank you for posting your impressions. Hopefully some of the small production amount will make it to NY...LeNell? Although it's considerably younger than the Sazarac Rye, how would you compare it to its older brother?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:00 pm

bourbonv wrote: I was sipping it last night after I got home and kept getting visions of Mike and Barleycorn sitting on a porch on a star lit night discussing the virtues of this rye. Barleycorn had the stronger arguement. Mike Veach

That Barleycorn! Even in the hazy, slightly alcoholic musings of other people he gets the best of me!!

I too enjoyed your notes and look forward to trying some of the Sazarac Rye if and when it comes to Georgia.

I may still make that trip to Kentucky one day................lemme see, I need to try a couple of the Ryes, get some 17 YO Eagle Rare, some Buffalo Trace, and the fall release of Stagg, if any is still available. Guess I better take my credit card.

Hmmm, since Barleycorn has been drinking my good whisky for a couple of years now, wonder if he would let me take his credit card?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:38 am

Bob,
John Vereeke told me the first run would be small but it would improve as the production went into full swing. I personally like it better than the 18 year old because the older rye is a bit woody for my taste. This is a very nice product that could become a regular pour for me.

Mike,
The fact is, all of our canine companions are a bit wiser in the ways of the world and have been for ever. It may be rough to work like a dog, but everybody envies people who get to live a dog's life.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:41 pm

Mike wrote:I may still make that trip to Kentucky one day................lemme see, I need to try a couple of the Ryes, get some 17 YO Eagle Rare, some Buffalo Trace, and the fall release of Stagg, if any is still available. Guess I better take my credit card.

Hmmm, since Barleycorn has been drinking my good whisky for a couple of years now, wonder if he would let me take his credit card?

Mike, I thought you and Barleycorn were going to make it up for the Spring Sampler 2006. We'd miss y'all iffen ye didn't make it. Make reservations today! :thumbup:
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:09 pm

bunghole wrote:Mike, I thought you and Barleycorn were going to make it up for the Spring Sampler 2006. We'd miss y'all iffen ye didn't make it. Make reservations today! :thumbup:

I am hoping to, still in negotiations with the BIG BOSS about it. There seems to be another contending event.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mark » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:38 pm

Oh man Mike, you gotta wins this one! :lol: We're all gonna be there and we hope many of you can make it. More info to follow all...

I was looking around and found a pic of the new Sazerac bottles getting filled on the line, so here it is:
Attachments
SazeracRye.jpg
SazeracRye.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 12339 times
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:04 pm

Now that just looks plum delicious! :thumbright: :partyman:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:28 am

I received an email from John Vereeke today stating that there has been quite a bit of interest in this new rye. A few of the calls he received mentioned reading this review! He also told me there was no truth to the rumors that Weller Antique was to be discontinued, so if you heard a similar rumor, don't panic and there is no need to stock up.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:28 pm

Great review Mike. After reading it, I can't wait to get my hands on some.
Joe :)
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby MGillespie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:49 pm

If you're interested, there's an interview with Sazerac's brand manager on the new episode of WhiskyCast talking about this whiskey...

Mark
MGillespie

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey