New Canadian Whiskies

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

New Canadian Whiskies

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:44 pm

I saw three labels new in Ontario today, one is from Highwood Distillers in High River, Alberta, called Centennial Rye Whisky 10 years old, available there for some years. The second is Danfield's Private Reserve Small Batch Whisky: this one is from Lethbridge, Alberta made by a distillery owned by Barton's (main brand, Black Velvet), and the third one is Wiser's Special Reserve, no age statement but 43% abv which is unusual in Canada (norm here is 40% abv). There previously were three Wiser's, a young black label, an older cream label, and an 18 year old version: perhaps this new one is a combination of these or of the latter two. I haven't tried any of these yet. Past new releases of Canadian have been disappointing, maybe it will be different this time..

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:52 am

Gary,
It looks like we need to get together sometime with you bringing some new Canadians and I will bring some old Canadians and bourbons I have in my collection for comparison.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:30 pm

I look forward to it, Mike, maybe early in the New Year!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:48 pm

Gary,
Are you coming down here or I am I coming up there, or meeting Halfway? After the beginning of the year sounds good to me. Maybe we can talk John and Linda into hosting another bourbon weekend. I will make my baked beans if he does. How about it John?

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:58 pm

That all sounds good, let me know when and where!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:48 pm

Gary,

It seems that you are ALWAYS travelling somewhere. One of these days, you have to make it to NYC, visit LeNells and hang out with us NY enthusiasts for an evening.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Bob, you're right, thanks, and nothing would give me more pleasure. I confess to have been in NYC a few times in recent years but it has been difficult to arrange the time to see you guys in Redhook (or elsewhere in B'kln or Manhattan). These trips are short and sometimes business-connected and there isn't a lot of extra time. However, I will bear it in mind, I do want to visit LeNell's and buy whiskey there, this is a definite goal. I did on a recent trip meet Garret Oliver at Blind Tiger in West Village, which occured by accident actually (they happened to have a chili taste-off there and he had an entry which included beer from BBC of course). Anyway, it will happen.

gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Strayed » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:19 am

bourbonv wrote:...After the beginning of the year sounds good to me. Maybe we can talk John and Linda into hosting another bourbon weekend. I will make my baked beans if he does. How about it John?

How does April sound?
We could arrange it to be on either Friday or Sunday the week of the Bourbon Festival Sampler (which is on Saturday).
We might even get the Maryland and Virginia contingents to join us!
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:15 am

John,
April may not be good for me. The Filson is looking to do a Bourbon History Institute and it we may do it the same weekend as the sampler as a way to promote both events. If we do then on Friday there will be a bus trip to tour the Woodford reserve and Buffalo Trace distilleries, followed by a prohibition era whiskey tasting at the Oxmoor mansion that night. The next day would involve several speakers at the Filson starting at about 10:00 and ending about 4:00 giving people plenty of time to get to Bardstown for the Sampler. If we do this, then I will not be able to make it either day.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:31 am

Strayed wrote:
bourbonv wrote:...After the beginning of the year sounds good to me. Maybe we can talk John and Linda into hosting another bourbon weekend. I will make my baked beans if he does. How about it John?

How does April sound?
We could arrange it to be on either Friday or Sunday the week of the Bourbon Festival Sampler (which is on Saturday).
We might even get the Maryland and Virginia contingents to join us!

Reinforce the south eastern wall, as the Virginians are a-comin' in force!

But, thanks to Democratic Senetor Robert C. Byrd of West "By God" Virginia we'll be flanking your earthworks by decending from the north!

Hey! It wasn't our idea but it will cost us $2.10 on the West Virginia Turnpike and we will have to cross the Khanawa River no less than five freakin' times.

Then we are forced to drive through stinky Ashland, Kentucky otherwise known as "Little New Jersey". Don't ask. Just as ugly and just as stinky.

Damn I wish I could fly! ima needs a blimp!

"Tits! Tits! It's the blimp, Frank, it's the blimp" - Capt'n Beefheart to Frank Zappa on "Trout Mask Replica". 1968.

You'd think that with my bourbonized brain, that I wouldn't remember stuff like that, but I do. :lol:

Anyway we'll be arriving via Led Zepplin at a gazebo near you!

Hide your daughters!

The Virginians are a-comin'!
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:39 pm

John, not to sound ungrateful but that weekend is tough for me, too, since I will be at Sampler and the need to fly in there makes it hard to organise things around April 29. I was hoping we could do this earlier in the year (say, February as a winter respite). Even half-way somewhere at a motel for a night would be good, somewhere in Pennsylvania off an interstate, maybe? (I realise this would distance us from the incredible ellenjaye bunker which is not a good thing, though!). Anyway just kicking around ideas.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mark » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:58 pm

A more formal post will be made about it but those wishing to attend and do some distillery tours and bourbon drinking late in the evening keep Wednesday April 25, 2006 to Sunday April 30th open. Bob and I, Chris and Kristin, LeNell and Ben will be there and we hope many of you as well. (we should actually be ariving Tuesday night and will want some drinks after the drive... :lol: )Tours and such are still being set up but we'll elt ya all know more in coming weeks and months but here's an important thing... IF there is even a CHANCE you can go make your reservations NOW, you can always cancel them. Also make it for MORE days than you think you may be there, you can always cancel the extra days right before with no penalty but not having them or enough days can hurt you.

More info to come! :D
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey