Rye...

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Rye...

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:22 am

I've been a bourbon guy for as long as I can remember...

Well actually I guess I'm a corn whisky guy as I like moonshine too...LOL

Anyway...I wanted to see what I was missing out on with the ryes...So I tried a Templeton Rye which is obviously one of the LDI ryes...and not aged a whole lot...but when I tasted it it seemed to lack some of the complexities of the bourbons that have corn, rye and barley...am I overlooking something or should I try a "better" rye?

I'm a fan of Angels Envy...and am trying to decide whether I drop $70 on the AE Rye which is aged in rum barrels which started as cognac barrels...

My first try of a rye seemed to leave me wanting more...thoughts on whether I'm being to critical?

Can you guys that drink the rye let me know what I'm missing...maybe it is just the choice I chose to try?

I've tried scotch too...a glenlivet 20yr...it was "ok"...but again it left me looking for more of a start, mid and finish...seemed flat to me...as did the rye...maybe my taste buds are just tuned to bourbon?...LOL...

Thoughts and help?
crappie_fisherman

Re: Rye...

Unread postby Squire » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Try a high rye Bourbon such as Old Grand Dad.
Squire

Unread postby gundog » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:26 pm

There a lot of ryes out there but after trying many of them my top picks are rittenhouse, baby zac, and high west double rye. They are all full of great rye spice and flavor.
gundog

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:01 am

Hey...THANKS for the advice, feedback.

I will have to sample a couple more of those you suggest...our local liquor store has many open bottles for sampling...and I think I'll see if they have what you suggest as sampling stock...they have a fairly large selection opened of many liquors...

Thanks again!
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Squire » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 am

Ah, you're fortunate to have a store that offers tasting samples, that would be a great way to while away a Saturday morning.
Squire

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:39 pm

gundog wrote:There a lot of ryes out there but after trying many of them my top picks are rittenhouse, baby zac, and high west double rye. They are all full of great rye spice and flavor.

That High West Double Rye is very tasty.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 am

Okay...while on a business trip to SoCal this week...I stopped into a liquor store I've been frequenting out here...to specifically pick up 2 bottles of WL Weller 12 year that they have been holding for me.

While I was there I saw they had the Angels Envy Rye...which is a LDI 95% rye to start but AE finishes the aging in Rum barrels which started as cognac barrels...so...we'll see if this finish gives this Rye something I like...the reviews state you get some smooth butterscotch notes in this rye...

It is a bit expensive at $70 per bottle (retail)...but we'll see...I'll report back after a sampling next weekend...
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby JLH3 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 am

By a county mile the best rye I've ever had is Willett's 4yr old.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Squire » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:28 am

I'm sure the folks that made the rye Willet bottled will be pleased to hear that.
Squire

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:41 am

JLH3 wrote:By a county mile the best rye I've ever had is Willett's 4yr old.

You should try the 22 y/o Willett's (Cream of Kentucky). Excellent.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Trey45 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:52 am

Hope you don't mind a new guys opinion. I've been enjoying Jim Beam Rye for the last week. You might give it a try yourself. It won't break the bank, and it's actually pretty good.
I read it on the internet, it must be true.
Trey45

Unread postby ebo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:27 pm

The Knob Creek Rye is very good.
ebo

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:53 am

I've now tried the Angels Envy Rye...WOW...I really like this stuff...it has a complexity I'm sure like no other rye given the finishing technique in the caribbean rum barrels...

You get a much sweeter upfront flavor profile...the butterscotches are strong and prominent up front...but by mid palate you start to get the 100proof alcohol and 95% rye kicking in...and the finish is pure spice of the rye and some burn of the 100 proof...I really like this stuff.

I've let friends sample this stuff and everyone has the same conclusion...it is a keeper...sadly it is pretty rare and very hard to find...so I'm not sure I'll have much of it after we kill this bottle...LOL...but I do know i like it...Just wish it wasn't $70 per bottle either...that will definitely slow me down...

A buddy of mine tried to find the Knob Creek Rye at the local shop...no luck...I'll have to give it a whirl one day.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Squire » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Trey45 wrote:Hope you don't mind a new guys opinion. I've been enjoying Jim Beam Rye for the last week. You might give it a try yourself. It won't break the bank, and it's actually pretty good.

It is good and often overlooked I think because it's so common (in rye terms) so it doesn't rate style points. Beam Rye isn't super aged or barrel proof but certainly well represents the traditional style.
Squire

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:23 am

JLH3 wrote:By a county mile the best rye I've ever had is Willett's 4yr old.

I'll have to agree. This stuff is excellent, as is just about anything I have ever tried from them, especially their Family Reserve offerings.

RG
RandyG

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey