Whistle Pig 10 -- unpleasant finish

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Whistle Pig 10 -- unpleasant finish

Unread postby prospector » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:47 am

Anyone else get an unpleasant finish from Whistle Pig? I like the initial taste and feel, but then a few seconds after swallowing it dries up very quickly and leaves a very oaky, bitter flavor on my tongue. The good flavors just shrivel up and die and leave behind the unpleasant ones. I'm sorry to say I can't really enjoy it neat because of this. Did I get a bad batch, or is this just the flavor profile of a 100% straight rye whisky? FWIW, I've tried most of the ryes on the market -- my favorites would be Handy, WT101, RR, Bulleit, and Rittenhouse BIB (in that order). I've also had Redemption Rye, which I believe is also 100% rye, but did not get this same aftertaste from it. Of course my favorites are all Buffalo Trace and probably have a fair amount of corn to sweeten up the flavor profile.

I think I'll have to start trying Whistle Pig in cocktails if I'm going to finish this bottle, as silly as it seems to use a bottle of this price in cocktails. Any cocktail suggestions?
prospector

Re: Whistle Pig 10 -- unpleasant finish

Unread postby prospector » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Bueller? Bueller?

P.S., I tried it in an Algonquin today. Not bad but the finish is still there.
prospector

Unread postby Landrum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:15 pm

I've been tempted on several occasions to pick up a bottle of Whistle Pig but have yet to pull the trigger. I wish that I could find it on sale!
Landrum

Unread postby jaycamm » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 am

Landrum wrote:I've been tempted on several occasions to pick up a bottle of Whistle Pig but have yet to pull the trigger. I wish that I could find it on sale!

Try the Jefferson's Rye. It is suspiciously similar and about half the price.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey