Opinions on Dickel Casade and Jack Daniels Single please?

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Opinions on Dickel Casade and Jack Daniels Single please?

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:52 am

Can anyone tell me if Dickel Cascade have a big dough mouth filling body like in No 8 No 12 but more pungent and fresh? Or is it just mild, shallow, creamy?
Also the astringent maple bitterness taste I found in No 8 I really did not like. No 12 was not like that.
Tasting notes say it has a assertive finish smoothed by maple smoke. Do they mean like how No 8 attacks the middle? I liked it but just not that bitterness.

Does Jack Daniels Single have a filling back palate? Reviews say the front entry is thin but back is good.
Does it have a huge soft gripping quality that pulls your checks in with vanilla notes?
Is the oak like fresh clean oak shavings like in Compass Box Peat Monster?
dickelfanaustralia

Re: Opinions on Dickel Casade and Jack Daniels Single please

Unread postby Satty Beach » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Had the Cascade Hollow and it was metallic so it's kept me off that brand. I need to try the 8/12 it's spoken of highly, but I'm holding on that formula for a few years. 5-10 years from now like to have something fresh. You must have some serious crazy stash brah.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Me dear lad, you lost me completely with your 'astringent maple bitterness' comment. But then, you have lost me time and again with your assessments of whiskies. That is not to say you are wrong........ or right.......... that is merely to say that we seem to be speaking an almost alien language to each other........... I know you like Dickel, as I do (not by the way, the end all and be all of American Whiskey...... as I know you know), and I am not, as is no one else, in a position to judge your opinions (except with counter opinions)....... because your opinions are yours, and, as a consequence can never be said to be invalid. But, you seem to reside on a different planet from me.

Methinks I owe you the courtesy of a hearing, and a chance to unveil something worthwhile to me in the uniquesness of your whiskey vision..........

I am your friend because you are different from me and see things very differently from me........... and, because I recognize full well that you are certainly as right as I am............. but, still a fucking mystery to me............. STAY IN THIS GAME, LAD!!

Over time, maybe I will move to your different view of things........ 'tis unlikely that will happen, but, I welcome you and your views here!!!

P.S. I have long thought, after being educated by a BourbonEnthusiast favorite of mine, Bunghole, that Jack Daniel's Single Barrel is a superb whiskey......... great delicacy, great balance, and an excellent finish. It is, in my opinions much superior to the other Jack Daniel's offerings......... and, I might say, superior to all the Dickel offerings.......
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Vital » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Never tried DC but JDSB is outstanding!
Nothing like Jack #7 and Gentleman Jack. If I didn't know I was sipping on JackDSB I'd never guess it was from JD family. Defiantly try it. Very warm, sweet (just right amount of sweetness) and easy going even thou it is 47%-er. My absolute favorite non-bourbon.
Vital

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Well, I was just about to buy it in store today. I'll re decide tomorrow.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Everything "Dickel" is better (IMHO) than anything "Daniel's"

EXCEPT...

JDSB, which is one of the best American whiskies you can buy.
I totally agree with Vital, Georgia Mike, Bunghole, and others who say that JDSB is nothing like (and superior to) any of the other JD products.
Chris Morris, I know you didn't start this brand (Lincoln Henderson did), but you've certainly maintained a whiskey to be proud of. Better than Woodford or Forester, I believe.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:26 pm

The JD Single Barrel is pretty nice, but goes for about $50 here in Utah.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:11 am

I did not like JD single. It was like icing sugar. 12-3973. 1-13-12. I actually think No 7 has a more robust body to it and peppery spice although it's a bit flobby.
Last edited by dickelfanaustralia on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickelfanaustralia

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey