Masterson's Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Masterson's Rye

Unread postby Mike » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Has anyone tried this Rye? Although it is sold out of a CA outfit, I think it is a 10 YO Canadian Rye that is 100% rye mash.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Masterson's Rye

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Mike, yes, this was discussed earlier, do you remember? It is part of a group of straight ryes all distilled in Canada, apparently in Alberta, but each having a different profile. The others are Jefferson 10 year old rye and Whistlepig. I think there is a fourth as well, but can't recall the name. It is very good, American straight in definition but still somewhat Canadian-tasting.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 pm

gillmang wrote:Mike, yes, this was discussed earlier, do you remember? It is part of a group of straight ryes all distilled in Canada, apparently in Alberta, but each having a different profile. The others are Jefferson 10 year old rye and Whistlepig. I think there is a fourth as well, but can't recall the name. It is very good, American straight in definition but still somewhat Canadian-tasting.

Gary

Now that you mention it, Gary, I do recall Masterson's being mentioned. I am not sure I am willing to pay what they are asking for it......... seems like it is around $50.
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:36 pm

It is well-worth it Mike, and more than double in Canada!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Shell » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 pm

I have the Jefferson's Rye. It is a truly outstanding rye, with a wonderful spicy-rye, rye bread taste.

A couple of points:

Although many observers have speculated that WhistlePig, Masterson's, and Jefferson's are sourced from the same distillery in Alberta - there hasn't been any solid confirmation or evidence. It's still just speculation at this point.

I have read some recent postings that the latest Jefferson's Rye bottle label states "produced in Kentucky", in place of the previous "produced in Canada" statement. So, it looks like Jefferson's Rye changed its distillery source to a stateside one.

These iterations are not sold in Canada under the three brand names. But, I have purchased some wonderful Canadian ryes, made from 100% rye, for $29 to $39 (in Canadian dollars), and which are only sold in Canada.

Shell
Shell
Shell

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:39 am

I agree with this, except Masterson's is indeed sold currently in parts of Canada, in Ontario certainly.

Pendleton 1910, bottled by an outfit in Oregon, is the other Canadian bulk importation I was thinking of. It is apparently a 100% flavouring (i.e., distilled at low proof) whisky, possibly again from Beam Global's Alberta Distillers, but no confirmation is available.

Alberta Distillers certainly is known as an all-rye distillery, e.g. its regular Alberta Premium brand is made from 100% rye grain, so it makes sense to me it might be the source of those in this passel, like WhistlePig and Masterson's, which are 100% rye in composition, but again one can't be really sure. What was interesting about Masterson's and WhistlePig certainly is they are straight rye whiskies in American terms but produced in Canada. You can tell the Canadian character I think even though the straight character is evident too. I put it down to climate, but again it's hard really to say...

The 100% rye products of Alberta Distillers are good products but given that most of them are blends - mixtures of whisky distilled mostly at high proof with a small part distilled at low proof - the rye character is quite muted (to me). I don't get that much difference between, say, Alberta Premium and Canadian Club, or VO, etc. The newer small batch releases are where it's at for many fans, these include Dark Horse from Alberta Distillers - very big fruity and damp earth/slate tastes - the resissued Lot 40 and a product called Proof which is a blend I think but a characterful one with a piney, orangey character. Many too will know the singular Forty Creek line made in Grimsby, Ontario. Its new Copper Pot is excellent, very full-tasting for a Canadian whisky. I should mention Wiser's Legacy too.

None of these are like an American straight rye but offer their own take on a characterful rye whisky and arguably a broader palate range than exists in the U.S. for rye. By the way those who like regular Canadian whisky might revisit the U.S.-made 7 Crown, it isn't all that different despite the (unaged) GNS content.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

I purchased my bottle of Masterson' Rye today for $59.............. a bit much for one bottle of whiskey, to be sure........... but then, I do be a foolish fellow and confess it upfront.

I do so under the recommendation of my good friend (but never met face to face) Gary Gillman, a man whose tastes have never led me astray.

I like rye whiskey, and when rye whiskey recognizes the sweetness that belongs to the rye grain, and not just its spicy bite, I am even more in love with its robust, yet moderated, characteristics.

Whistle Pig (another Canadian rye whiskey) is an excellent rye whiskey with a softness that some ryes miss............ Masterson's hits the mark square on!

It explodes with rye true flavors at mid-palate............ rarely has rye been given its due as this rye whiskey gives it!

Gary was right!! This is a goto whiskey.......... subtle, delicate, robust, smooth, balanced, complex!

If it is availble to you, get it!! A whiskey among whiskies!
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Glad you like it Mike, it is a special product IMO and shows that when Canadian distillers are minded they can do excellent work. The key here is it is a straight, i.e., distilled at under 160 proof and entered in barrel at no more than 125: that plus the all-rye content, plus the 10 years, make it all happen.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 pm

gillmang wrote:Glad you like it Mike, it is a special product IMO and shows that when Canadian distillers are minded they can do excellent work. The key here is it is a straight, i.e., distilled at under 160 proof and entered in barrel at no more than 125: that plus the all-rye content, plus the 10 years, make it all happen.

Gary

Among whiskies that come from foreign countires (Canada is, and forever will be, friendly and independently, foreign), I prefer first Midleton's Irish Whiskey, and now, Masterson's Rye. This, over all Scotch Whiskies (many of which I do indeed like very much).

When foreign whiskies achieve the delicacy of Cognac, as Midleton and Masterson's approach, they win that particular battle (the battle of delicacy.......... one not all that important to residents of the United States).

NO, I mean NO, whiskies from the United States achieve this level of sophisticatiion and delicacy........... but then, I do not consider that to be their (American Whiskies') goal (my opiniion), and they play on a different field. Delicacy is never American Whiskey's first goal.

American whiskies, just as American culture, has its own unique strengths, but they do not come without weaknesses, in my humble opinion.
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Well put Mike but adroit mingling can bring bourbon and rye close to the ideal you so well expressed. In my experience, you need three or four bourbons at least to succeed, often double that or more. But the office of the distillery offerings is, I agree, to show cojones shall we say (with no implications meant in the direction of tequila, an internationally recognized spirit of high quality and distinctiveness).

I should add too to my list of straight characteristics for that Masterson's: aging in all-new charred wood.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Squire » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:42 am

Maybe I was absent from class that day so let me ask again. Is the mash recipe 20% malted rye and 80% unmalted?
Squire

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 am

It would be 100% unmalted (raw) rye if from Alberta Springs distillery in Calgary. This distillery is noted for using all-rye as the feedstock in unmalted form. Normally, you need a measure of malted grains, barley or other (it can be rye). These contain the essential enzymes which, in the presence of hot water soaking, break down and convert the raw starches to fermentable sugars. You only need a small amount of enzyme to convert a much larger amount of raw grains, hence traditional formulas like 80-20 raw to malted grains, or even 90-10. Alberta Springs uses artificial enzyme to do the conversion, so no malt is needed. Open question whether using some barley or rye malt would add additional flavor, I think likely it would, yet the Masterson's, also WhistlePig etc., are certainly well-flavored drinks.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Squire » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I was aware Alberta Springs had developed the artificial enzyme (which I have no problem with) but wasn't sure about the Rye mashbill. No need for a malted component of course, just wondered if one had been kept to add flavor/body to the distillate.
Squire

Unread postby gauze » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 am

artificial enzyme? I would assume it's just amylase which is derived from some natural source ...
gauze

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 pm

That could be. By artificial, I meant, added as such and not via use of malted grains.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey