Rye flavoring ("four in one") - The Real McCoy, Ben-Burk Inc

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Rye flavoring ("four in one") - The Real McCoy, Ben-Burk Inc

Unread postby DigitalAntiquaria » Thu May 05, 2011 10:47 am

I'm hoping that a bourbon enthusiast can tell me more about "four in one" rye flavor.

It was manufactured by Ben-Burk, Inc. (Boston) in 3 7/8 ounce bottles and sold in boxes of 24. The brown glass bottle is about one inch by one inch by eight inches tall with "The Real McCoy" printed on its red cap; molded into the glass are "4 IN 1" on the front and measurement lines on the back for "3/4" "1/2" and "1/4".

A metallic bronze label features a "four in one" logo in the center, under which is the legend "RYE FLAVOR," and beneath that is "PRICE $1.00." The word "PERCOLATED" is at the top of the front of the label. Additional information is printed on the label, which covers the right and left side of the bottle: "The trademark made famous by quality" - "Distributing Points (list of thirteen major US cities) - "Imitation Pastry Flavor Colored" - "Original Wood Taste Flavoring" - "This bottle flavors One Gallon" - "Remember "four in one" is constantly imitated but never equalled" - "Mfd. by BEN-BURK, Inc Boston Mass."

My suspicion is that this flavoring turned home-made hooch into something reminscent of Pre-Prohibition Canadian whisky. Any information would be much appreciated.
DigitalAntiquaria

Re: Rye flavoring ("four in one") - The Real McCoy, Ben-Burk Inc

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu May 05, 2011 10:57 am

If you look at this time line: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1694
you will see that Mr. Boston started selling this kind of thing during prohibition.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey