A Rye Down - Dog, Manhattan, Saz

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

A Rye Down - Dog, Manhattan, Saz

Unread postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

I have before me this afternoon three rye whiskies. I have Sazerac Straght Rye (6 Years Old) at 90 proof; and Delaware Phoenix Distillery Artisanal White Rye Whiskey (Rye Dog at 100 proof), Walton New York. made by the skilled hands of our fellow BE member and esteemed friend, Cheryl Lins; and Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey (92 proof) from Tuthilltown Spirits, Gardiner, New York. I have had each of these whiskies before and recommend them all.

The Saz is very fruity in aroma and in taste with a rich dose of barrel sweetness. Highly aromatic and really good taste.

DP White has strong aromas of freshly mown clean and sweetish rye grain with hints of mint and anise. Its taste is sweeter than might be expected and is knife edge sharp and clean. The rye, anise and mint (is that apicots playing with and tugging at my tongue?) give this Dog a robust, but again clean, bite. A wonderfully exotic whiskey for which I cannot thank Cheryl enough. It has never touched a barrel and can stand on its own as its own thing.

Hudson Manhattan Rye has less sweetness than Cheryl's Dog, which is a bit of a surprise to me. Although I like it, there is a young whiskey edge that is not altogether welcome. That edge detracts a mite from this whiskey, since it adds nothing.

I don't much like to rate whiskies anymore, nothing to be gained by doing so...........but, that being said, on this day and at this time, I find DP White Dog to be most to my liking because of its somewhat exotic character and its really clean and crisp attack.

Yet again, Cheryl, I salute you!!

P.S. I am going agin my principles, never too strict anywayhow, and having a nother sip of Cheryl's Madness...........reminds me of the time I run down a rhino and rasseled it to the rough. OOOW! Cheryl, when I am KING, you gone be ROYAL DISTILLER.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: A Rye Down - Dog, Manhattan, Saz

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks so much Mike!

I must admit that I've started doing this kind of comparative sampling. First an aged whiskey, then Rye Dog. Just to see if the young pup measures up. I haven't been brave enough to try her against the greats of bourbon, but I think she holds her own against the mid-range quite well. (I'm not trying to brag just really trying to have an honest self-assessment.)

For those who may not know, or have delved into the old archives of this forum, I'm trying to use a recipe similar to the 1818 sweet mash from the old Taylor-Hay papers at the Filson. This is not a cost-effective way of making whiskey! At least in these modern times. But it's a lot of fun. At least to me.

And one of the farmers that picks up the spent mash (for their pigs and goats) uses some for her bread!
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Re: A Rye Down - Dog, Manhattan, Saz

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:39 am

Cheryl,
The sweet mash recipe is not from the Taylor-Hay papers at the Filson, but from the Catherine Carpenter papers at the kentucky Historical Society. This actually makes it more appropriate since you, a modern female distiller, is using a recipe from an early 19th century female distiller.

Mike
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey