Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameFighting Cock
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content103 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 74194
Bottling InfoTHey say on their site, contains rye instead of wheat for an extra 'kick'.

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2332, Created:20150309150513, Updated:20150407075555)
Purchased at:Cox's Smokers and Spirit in Louisville
Purchased for:$16.50
Info on this bottle:No age statement
Nose:Sweet vanilla and corn, nice. Same nice color as the 6y/o version.
Taste:Corn, vanilla and caramel with peppery spice. Nice body. An ice cube opens it up and cools it down nicely. It's lacking in complexity, but most in the price range are a bit simple.
Finish:Nice long finish, nothing overly complex, just good bourbon with rich flavor. No chemical aftertaste like you get with jug bourbon.
Overall:Taste the same to me as the 6y/o Fighting Cock. Mid grade bourbon with all the signature characteristics of heaven hill bourbon. Price is right and the bourbon is good. Cheeky bottle and label.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2224, Created:20130728172518, Updated:20130728175500) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:Oak, vanilla, rye spice, caramel, corn, leather, and a wee touch of nutmeg try to push the alcohol aside..... a few moments in the glass assist in that effort. Several swirls of the glass and a few moments help a bit, as does a few drops of water. Very inviting and somewhat reminiscent of Wild Turkey 101.
Taste:Nice upfront thick corn sweetness with some oak and vanilla yield a lot of body and give the taster a treat. The rye spiciness bites at mid-palate with some cinnamony heat with a smidge of leather loafing about. Quite nice high rye bourbon.
Finish:Moderate to long finish that allows all the flavors to make a final bow.
Overall:Excellent elemental bourbon, and maybe, in that role, better than Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from JPBoston (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2159, Created:20130225214833) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Total Wine - AZ -- 2013
Purchased for:$13.99
Info on this bottle:750ml
Nose:Vanilla, Corn, Ethanol
Taste:Up Front: Very thick caramel sweetness with hints of vanilla

Mid Palate: Spicy rye kick
Finish:Back to caramel sweetness, with strong, quality, vanilla barrel notes
Overall:Man o' man!! I always assumed this to be rot-gut due to the name on the bottle, but I finally gave it a shot... and I'm glad I did!

The caramel sweetness that gives way to peppery rye spice... that then gives way BACK to a warming (not burning!) caramel/vanilla sweetness on the finish is incredible! I can't believe this is under $15! That bottle of OWA on my bar is starting to sweat a bit, this may be my new favorite everyday pour...

Review from karloff (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2132, Created:20121126065538) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Rehills, Jesmond
Purchased for:28 pounds
Info on this bottle:Age 6 years. Gift to myself
Nose:Dark chocolate, coconut, vanilla and a mixture of dark fruits
Taste:Thick and oily and nice and fruity
Finish:A long thick woody finish that stays with you for a long time.
Overall:At this time the best bourbon i have ever tasted and it is a good price aswell.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1940, Created:20110319173946) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:Vanilla, rye, corn, oak, char, leather. Lurking about is some nutmeg, and what i can only call dark dirt. Interestingly difficult to predict the taste from the nose. Alcohol is not overbearing.
Taste:Nice sweet hot thick rich creamy spicy bourbon that starts a decided glow almost immediately upon entry. Lively, robust, and rich.
Finish:Long and spicy finishing on a dry note, but the deep sweet remains and coats the mouth.
Overall:An excellent under $20 bourbon with great viscosity AND rye spiciness. The alcohol produces a dry mouthfeel that finally snuffs the creamy sweet. Well worth the money, so I do recommend it to you.l

Review from ale_conner (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1899, Created:20101205022706) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Hollywood Liquor Store, Portland, OR
Purchased for:16.95
Info on this bottle:An animated cock (bird), cartoonish font, aged 6 yrs, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 103 proof
Nose:Dark Caramel,corn, ethanol, clove/allspice.
Taste:A lot of alcohol heat. This really needs some cold water to bloom the aromas. With said water, smooth caramel comes through, and -- with dilution -- the stronger notes of clove when neat turn into a smooth allspice tone.
Finish:Sufficient warming going all the way down, though a little harsh by itself.
Overall:This is a great whiskey for the money. It has a top-shelf/small-batch taste and aroma, and the high proof makes it just as appropriate on the ski lift as it is in a "cock"tail. It works perfectly in my new favorite drink: rocks, Bourbon, local apple cider, lemon wedge.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1708, Created:20090929193435, Updated:20090929193740)
Purchased at:Myrtle Beach SC
Purchased for:$18
Info on this bottle:See, now there there was this rooster, and he like to strut..........
Nose:Corn, rye, leather (reminds me slightly of new shoes when I was a kid), yeast (I think), hint of vanilla and oak. A bit of an earthy aroma that is like rich loam (not a bad aroma at all). Don't get too close, the alcohol you know!
Taste:A rich sweetness that seems thick........ almost like corn syrup in its sticking power. The barrel did its work quite nicely in 6 years, leaving plenty of rich barrel flavors of vanilla and caramel. The rye struts out and demonstrates but does not overwhelm the other flavors with its spiciness. It is not a pretender, but neither is it royalty here. Excellent taste!
Finish:Moderate, respectable, and appropriate to the occasion.
Overall:What do you want for under $20............a cigar with it? Excellent bourbon for the money. A demonstration of why 100 or so proof helps to retain flavors in a fairly young bourbon.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1703, Created:20090928205229, Updated:20090928205401)
Purchased at:On Cane Run Road recently, L'ville
Info on this bottle:Current, 200 ml
Nose:Very balanced, clean smell of bourbon, medium caramel notes, perhaps faint grain or rooty notes, nothing obstreperous
Taste:Certainly alcohol to the fore, sweet and rounded after, almost soft with that typical good pecan-like taste
Finish:Not a heavy finish but a pleasant decay of the taste elements
Overall:Top-grade, not the over-the-top experience I recall from years back. It reminds me of Booker's if you took away the anise note of the latter.

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1702, Created:20090928173232)
Purchased at:Idaho State Liquor Dispensary
Purchased for:$15
Nose:WOW! Alcohol and Spice! A little bit of Honey that increases as the Bourbon is exposed to the air.
Taste:Pepper and Spice! Yow! Tinge of Honey before the long hot finish.
Finish:Long and Spicy. Lasts about 2 minutes and burns hot!
Overall:I actually liked this bourbon. Didn't think I would but there is something about its spicy and unabashed alcohol that really makes me think I am drinking raw juice! I Liked that!

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1610, Created:20090623055903)
Purchased at:Virginia ABC
Purchased for:17.70
Info on this bottle:Standrad
Nose:The alcohol that you would expect with this proof. Corn sweetness with hints of vanilla and citrus
Taste:The corn comes through first with spice/ and dark fruit right behind it. the alcohol is there with every drop but making it hard to bring much else out of this one.
Finish:Nice finish lasting longer then most. The heat disappears rather fast leaving a soft corn sweetness.
Overall:A little water really helps this bourbon bud. I normally do not add water to any bourbon but this one is one of the exceptions. Also time opened in the bottle really helped bring out what it was hiding.

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1450, Created:20090130195310, Updated:20090130195823) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:State Line Liquors (Elkton, MD)
Purchased for:$16+
Nose:spicey vanilla/caramel...then young corn...another swirl and a sweet, vegetal blast of alcohol. there's the 103 proof. somewhat reminded of OGD...
Taste:unabashedly fiery (but in a way i like); more OGD BIB sense; immediate dry mouthfeel (and not thick or chewy); continued fiery sense that burns along, almost eclipsing what flavors i think lurk beneath. again, not too much proof, but in a sense, this is what makes it at least work and earn its pay (or cost...)
Finish:nice burnt dried-fruit sense, but very short; what lingers is that dry mouthfeel (oak?); nothing complex or layered, at least not immediately evident...i sense there is something here at a more subtle level, but then, maybe 6 years isn't enough time in the right place with the right mashbill recipe to make this something that seems like it costs over $20...
Overall:i don't won't to say this is best in a cocktail. i'd like to say it would actually be good in a cocktail, something i rarely sample. certainly a prime candidate for eggnog! ok, honesty. this is decent with a lower-case d...a drop of water and it's too easily tamed. yes, i admit, a little disappointed. but then, i am a bit more educated and know another priceless tidbit concerning the Heaven Hill signature. Would a key word be vegetal?

Review from jdewberr (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1014, Created:20080206070003)
Purchased at:NC ABC
Purchased for:$15.00
Info on this bottle:Great Logo
Proof Of this Bottle:103
Nose:Rich and sweet smell, vanilla and clove/nutmeg. Very subtle citrus highlights.
Taste:Interesting, first the fire of a Bourbon gt 90 proof. Next there is a caramel and spice but that citrus element...I might be wrong or my taste buds just work different.
Finish:Lovely....sweet lingering vanilla and dryness.
Overall:Best with one ice cube and a few minutes to mellow. Neat would be a bit strong for the uninitiated.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 831, Created:20070905130422, Updated:20070905134033)
Purchased at:Pavilion Liquor Store, Myrtle Beach SC
Purchased for:$18
Info on this bottle:Aged 6 years
Nose:Corn, warming rye, leather, a light touch of wood and caramel, and a whiff of cinnamon will please your sniffer. Very decent and inviting nose with the alcohol asserting itself a bit.
Taste:Corn sweetness quickly followed by some alcohol heat and pepper. The rye spice offsets the alcohol somewhat, making it a very respectable bourbon. There is some weight to FC...... its viscosity carries the richness and sweetness through in spite of the alcohol.
Finish:Moderate to long finish which retains the corn sweetness.
Overall:I'll just have another sip here, I'll have another sip 'cause its good. If you have a faint heart you might want to avoid a round with this rooster.........he has some fight in him. Two spurs up!!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 390, Created:20060315172428)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Dark fruit and vanilla with some corn and nutmeg spice.
Taste:Rich corn and vanilla witha lot of alcohol heat and oak tannins.
Finish:Dry Oak and vanilla that lingers for a while.
Overall:Not too bad neat, but better in an old fashioned cocktail.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 160)
Purchased at:Given to me at a bourbon function
Info on this bottle:50 ml bottle
Nose:Corn silk and fresh mowed hay. A little vanilla and and oak in the background.
Taste:This bourbon has a bit of a firey kick to it. That is follwed with some straong corn flavor with a little vanilla and pepper spice.
Finish:Corn flavor slowly changing to an oak dryness.
Overall:This bourbon has that initial kick that turns a lot of people off, but once you are past that alcohol burn, the flavor is not bad. It definitely helps to add a little water.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews