Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameW L Weller 12 yr
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Available
Age12
Views (since 20080612) 67856
Bottling Info2003 Gold Medal Winner

- 2003 Wine and Spirits Competition

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The deep bronze color beautifully reflects the light -- perfect purity; the initial nosing pass finds fully nature aromas of lanolin, almond oil, and creamed corn -- in the middle stage sniffings, following several minutes of air contact, a toasty oaky/vanilla perfume takes the aromatic helm -- the fourth and last whiff highlights the oily grainy quality that???s firm and pungent -- a high-spirited, lusciously toasty, and animated bouquet that has top-notch Bourbon written all over it; the dry, complex, and toasty palate entry is reminiscent of the Centennial 10 Year Old???s grand entry -- the mid-palate flavor profile is heavily wheated (like Wheat Thins crackers), oily, layer, moderately sweet, and sap-like; the finish is long, sweet, oaky, and intensely grainy; follows in the footprints of the legendary Centennial and delivers the goods, all for an unbelievable price.

- Paul Pacult, The Spirit Journal

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2328, Created:20150207182038)
Purchased at:Vintage Wine and Spirits (On-Line)
Purchased for:750ml $35.99
Info on this bottle:W.L. Weller 12 Yr. Old
Nose:Very nice darker golden amber color.

Very very nice vanilla note, caramel, cherries, some maple, oak, with some nice spicy/cinnammon. Very very nice aroma.
Taste:Very nice oak note, spicy, with some vanilla/maple notes, some cherries/tartness. There is a nice thickness to this bourbon.
Finish:Lasts for a little while, very nice, with some tobacco. Slightly dry finish. Very very smooth.
Overall:Overall a very tasty/exceptional bourbon. Cannot really put my finger on it right now, but there is something special about this one. Glad that I got a chance to try it. Definitely a keeper, would definitely buy again. This bottle will last along time for sure, maybe just special occasions.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2177, Created:20130405172718)
Purchased at:LCBO Stoney Creek,Ontario
Purchased for:$44.95 CDN
Info on this bottle:W.L.Weller...Aged 12 years...Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey..."The Original Wheated Bourbon"...
Nose:A fairly heavy dose of vanilla and caramel...Oak and char...Almond extract...
Taste:Pretty much the same as the nose minus the almond extract...And kinda thin...You get the basic bourbon profile of corn sweetness,vanilla/caramel with the oak and barrel char...But not much else....
Finish:Fairly basic stuff...But a little dryer than the original taste...Caramel and vanilla fading to oak and barrel char with a little heat...
Overall:A good bourbon but nothing that really stands out...The finish is "Maker'sesque" in length...

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from whiskeybreath (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1944, Created:20110321225030, Updated:20110322122900) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:ABC Liquors-North Ft.Myers, FL
Purchased for:$27+ {included tax}
Info on this bottle:Typical info
Nose:Some citrus there with a hint of vanilla wafer cookies.
Taste:For a 12 yr old, I was VERY disappointed. Tasted too young and ruff around the edges. Raw alcohol dominated any subtle flavor that could have been there. Wheaters lack the dept that the rye recipe bourbons have {my opinion}.
Finish:Soft and quick. Left a faint taste of toast in my mouth.
Overall:I paid too much for what I got. Liked the 7 year version MUCH better for allot less $. Just not a fan of the "new" wheaters I guess. Buffalo Trace Weller doesn't measure up to the Old S-W brand. Allot better whiskey out there at this price point. 6/10

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1859, Created:20100804161754, Updated:20100804161850)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$28
Info on this bottle:Bottle is different from the one pictured above, the label is black
Nose:Vanilla and caramel in large doses. Leather, oak, and citrus in smaller doses. A hint of numeg to make things a bit more interesting. Altogether applealing.
Taste:Nice upfront sweetness with good viscosity and richness. A dollop of cinnamony spice teases at mid-palate, but the overall taste, like many older wheat bourbons, is on the soft and subtle side.
Finish:Moderate length, retaining a bit of sweetness and a bit of spice.
Overall:Excellent bourbon for a very nice relaxing and soothing sip.

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1613, Created:20090625064005)
Purchased at:Single Barrel from binnys
Purchased for:Gift
Info on this bottle:Mini
Nose:Vanilla, green apples, tobacco, Lite brown sugar
Taste:Vanilla and caramel followed up by just a hint of spice almost a cinnamon
Finish:Brown sugar all the way down. a good finish lasting about 30 seconds
Overall:i am glad I got this sample. This is what all wheaters should be a all around great bourbon with nothing offensive.

Review from dnsouthky (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1555, Created:20090514025515)
Purchased at:Bob's Knoxville TN
Purchased for:22
Info on this bottle:W L Weller 12yr normal bottle
Nose:strong sweet maple and carmel and a very little vanilla --- the smell OOO the smell it makes you want to hurry up and pour a little into a glass to try.
Taste:taste is more woody and less vanilla than the 7yr ----- but ---- no taste of the maple or carmel I smelled. Disapointment I belive is the term. Not bad by any means in fact it is an excellent bourbon but after a smell like it has you expect so much more than is is able to deliver.
Finish:the sweetness of the vanilla is short -- then it has a dry bite and finally it has a long alcohol taste / burn that mellows out gradually. The burn is pleasent and not too hot but the sweet leading into it is to short.
Overall:The best thing about it is the smell. This is one of the more pleasing smells of any bourbon I can remember. If only the taste were as good as the smell it would be unbeatable. Its a very good bourbon well above average but I dont know that I dont like the 7yr old Weller just as well --- maybe even better in some aspects of the taste. I would be happy to serve to a guest but dont think I would take it over the 7yr old weller for a once a day shot. The bottom line is after the unbeatable smell I expected much more from this than it delivered. The extra 5yrs I hate to say may have been wasted. I hope that maybe it was just this bottle isn't the norm because as good as the 7yr old Weller is this should have aged better.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1307, Created:20081006184041)
Purchased at:
Nose:Nice warm sweetness upfront.......spcie and oak struggle to make the clearing, chased by the alcohol. A good bourbon nose nevertheless.
Taste:Soft sweetness and spice stirke a mood of unhurried smoothness about which few would complain. Plain vanilla wheat bourbon with no objectional flaws...........and no standout strenghts
Finish:Moderate and perfectly acceptable
Overall:I have complete confidence in my assessment of this bourbon as OK, nothing more. It offers no 'wow' factor and satisfies without inspiring. A modest 7 out of 10!

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1305, Created:20081002041140)
Purchased at:Binny's
Purchased for:Around $20
Info on this bottle:Binny's Bottel
Nose::( - water and bourbon. Everything is muted
Taste::( - everything is light.
Finish::( - Very, very short.
Overall:This one is even lighter than the sample I got from Joe.

It seems really (and I mean really) watered down. There is almost water in the nose on it and the tastes are so muted.

I hope that this is an off bottle. Right now I have this one in my mind as the MM of the Weller line :(

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1221, Created:20080802221153)
Purchased at:50 ml from Fishbowl Joe
Info on this bottle:New version
Nose:Vanilla and some oak. Not pwerful oak, but a nice oak balance. Some good maple, and light alcohol that works its way through the maple.

There is some red delicious apples with citrus and sweet cream that pop in and out with floral.

This makes me think of the Centennial and Four Roses 40th vatted (never done this, but that is what I am thinking of).
Taste:Soft and thin... vanilla and sweet water. Light floral toanes that are just like a memory as much as a experiance... no burn to speak of
Finish:Very light and easy. Again... weller centeniala and FR 40th... blended down to 90 proof.

Witha good size swig, there isw a little more maple/vanilla and a touch of oak, but damn hard to say it is a 12 yr...
Overall:THis is very ice, but very, very light. There is more in the nose than in teh body... I have a 13/14 yr from Binny's that I would like to compair to this...

I bet you this would be better at 100-107 proof. Almost to thin... call it a hot summer day bourbon like a bowl of fresh vanilla ice cream...

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1041, Created:20080326211601, Updated:20080326213048)
Purchased at:Thoroghbred Shop, Lex, KY
Purchased for:20
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:creamed corn, pecans, oak
Taste:creamed corn most pronounced, pecan pie, subtle spices. very sweet
Finish:moderately long. creamed corn till the end
Overall:best of their offerings

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 703, Created:20070203200716)
Purchased at:Sam's Wines and Spirits
Purchased for:$18
Info on this bottle:New Style Bottle
Nose:Very expressive, strong, nuanced and pleasingly unique. Reminds me almost of a port or sherry at first, very fruity w/ cherry notes w/ hints of Christmas spice, some nutty undertones w/ some leather and oak hiding in the background.
Taste:Definitely sweet w/ caramel notes up front. Vanilla and spice, more cherry and some soft leathery and woody notes.
Finish:Perhaps a bit short but that actually suits the overall flavor in my opinion. My only real complaint is that a ninety proof I would like to have just a slightly less apparent alcohol presence.
Overall:This was an instant favorite for me. A very reasonably priced and high-quality wheated bourbon. I've been pointing all my friends who are Maker's Mark towards this in that it has that familiar softness but more flavorful and sophisticated.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 660, Created:20061127134214) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$20
Nose:A nice nose that never shouts at you and opens more with a bit of time in the glass. Lots of aromas waft up to greet you. I detect vanilla, oak, corn, leather, apricots and cherries, flowers, citrus, and nuts in a more than satisfactory combination. It promises ever so much!
Taste:A slow start that remains somewhat tentative, but musters a bit of spice to complement the moderate sweetness. Not the equal of the nose.
Finish:A moderate to short finish that is a bit soft and squishy. I am tempted to say this bourbon needs to be 100 proof.
Overall:I cannot in good faith recommend the 12 YO Weller. I think the 10 YO Weller Centennial, at 100 proof is a much better bourbon. But, shucks y'all, what do I know?

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 514, Created:20060530135012)
Purchased at:Chuck's Liquor Outlet, Bowling Green, KY
Purchased for:$18.99
Nose:A warm nose with lots of corn sweetness mixed with vanilla and caramel. I also enjoy the mint, leather, pecan pie, maple syrup, and slight citrus aromas.
Taste:The taste is almost of a piece with the nose, although not as complex as the nose. The sweet vanilla caramel slips smoothly into the mouth. There is a slight hotness at mid-palate but it is not a spicy hotness, it is from the alcohol........but not worrisome. Few of the other promises from the nose are met.
Finish:There is a moderately long finish that is creamy, sweet, and viscous. Smooth with little burn at the back of the mouth.
Overall:A very nice and drinkable bourbon, especially for $19. Frankly I was expecting a bit more complexity in the taste from a 12 YO..........but maybe that is unfair to ask at $19.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 474, Created:20060426092225)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Sweet caramel and pecans. Dark fruit and oak.
Taste:Sweet caramel and oak with very ripe apple fruit and pecans
Finish:Sweet and satisfying caramel leading into some nice smokey oak.
Overall:Very nice neat or on the rocks - no artificial flavors please - Weller, water, Wonderful

Review from White Lightning (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 349, Created:20060217063258, Updated:20060217063535)
Purchased at:N/A
Purchased for:N/A
Info on this bottle:Single Barrel / Stitzel-Weller / Summer 92/Fall 2005
Nose:Ripe cherries, nutmeg, charred wood & the aroma of fesh waffles of the iron with maple syrup.

First wiffs reminded me of a pipe tobacco my pops used to have me stuff his pipe with ("My Mixture" was I believe the name). I also detected a suggestion of a nuttiness.
Taste:Gentle at first, black cherry & toasted brown sugar pick up the pace. As time progresses the depth of this whiskey expands. The flavors remain very similar but appear to be more intense along the way. Vanilla becomes more pronounced the longer the whiskey rests in the glass. Oak balances the background nicely at each stage, whether it be in the earlier gentle or latter intense setting.
Finish:Refreshing, subtle spices in a buttery coat linger - I'd describe the finish as medium in length, it's expressive and slightly chewy leaving my tongue tingling as time marched forward.
Overall:On my first tasting occassion, I thought this single barrel was good, and obviously different from current Welller 12 year old product. I did however feel it tasted semi related to Van Winkle whiskey but probably did not belong in a Van Winkle bottle.

Upon subsequent tastes I'm not so sure... it might not belong in a Van Winkle bottle but it was quite a bit more related than I initially gave credit for.

I also notice that with time in the glass this bourbon expands significantly. My first taste was a very small pour with a minimal amount of time dedicated.

Although the whiskey expands significantly, originally the one negative (if you can call it that) I found was that the whiskey was a tad thin in the middle. Like it was missing some fat. I'd still describe it as possibly a tad thin though not as much so after resting in the open air for a bit. All of which drew me to two conclusions:

1. I'd love to taste this whiskey at 100pf or higher / unfiltered with the fat intact
2. This is a whiskey that benefits from time and patience.

One other miscelaneous conclusion: It makes a great cigar companion!

Review from jbohan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 176)
Purchased at:Binny's downtown Chicago
Purchased for:$17
Info on this bottle:Special single barrel bottling for Binny's
Nose:The amber color of this is hypnotic and delays the sniffing and tasting as you watch sunlight pass through for a while. The first aroma is the sweet corn followed closley by the open fields of wheat.
Taste:The first taste confirms the aroma, but then the effects of the char come into play, the complex vanilla, leather, dryness. As it's getting ready for the finish the wheat really comes to the front.
Finish:This then gives you a wonderful finish with a great aftertatse, and like other products made at this distillery, the finsih is long and smooth.
Overall:For those who like wheated bourbon and don't want to pay an exhorbitant price, this is an incredible value. Even if your retailer doesn't have the single barrel bottling, the regular product should not dissapoint.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews