Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameElmer T Lee
Bottled ByAncient Age Distilling Co. Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoBT high rye
Views (since 20080612) 86708
Bottling InfoMedium gold in color; the nose brings notes of butterscotch, clover, vanilla, and old leather. The big body bears a palate with an almost wine-like character that balances intense fruits, honey, and vanilla with a light spiciness that shows off the distiller's craft. The finish is long and warm.

Wine Enthusiast Magazine
Events for this bottling:

Review from jneyer05 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2258, Created:20131006155601)
Purchased at:Frugal McDougals Nashville
Nose:Maple, caramel apples, hints of pepper. Most of the sweetness is here.
Taste:Buttery texture with a floral, woody taste. Hints of candy corn.
Finish:Very smooth. Tobacco and cinnamon spices. Slight Caramel.
Overall:Very good bourbon. Tastes great and with all the right qualities. Nose has a strong sweet spice and some nutty floral essence. The taste is buttery and has floral woody qualities with hits of candy corn. The finish is very smooth and lasts a long time. I would prefer it to even last longer but I can't complain with everything else going on. Tobacco comes out at end with a slight caramel. Must in any collection.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2165, Created:20130312162158, Updated:20130312162503) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:LCBO Burlington,Ontario
Purchased for:$54.95 CDN
Info on this bottle:Elmer T. Lee...Single Barrel Sour mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Nose:Caramel,vanilla,honey,almost a marshmallowy candy thing...Very light oak...And fruits,like pears or grapes...Very nice!
Taste:Sweet corn,vanilla,peppery spice,cinnamon,oak,more of that fruitiness from the nose...
Finish:Things definately linger here...But the finish in more dry than the nose or the taste lets on...Not as sweet as the oak and barrel char take over.The corn sweetness and spice are still there,but muted in behind....Very little alcohol burn at all...Then,at the very end,hints of that fruitiness show up.
Overall:This is very good stuff!Relatively complex,but not overly so.The nose was just spectacular,but,the change from the nose and the finish is very noticeable.And at this price,Elmer T.Lee blows Jack Daniels Single Barrel out of the water!As an aside,I keep looking at the bottle and wonder if there actually is 750 ml's in the thing?...I mean,that bottle seems rather small...Anyways,one should definately go out of ones way to give this one a try...Well worth it...

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Tijoko (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1925, Created:20110212203929)
Purchased at:Rochester Hills, MI
Purchased for:$32
Nose:Soft vanilla, caramel, vague fruit, cinnamon & spice, some char.
Taste:Sweet caramel, some corn, a little leather, and fantastic spice (particularly the aforementioned cinnamon)
Finish:Long and warm, with lingering cinnamon and charred oak. Correct burn - enough to remind you of what you're drinking, but not enough to make you cough.
Overall:You must drink this neat. Excellent bourbon and worth every penny.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1831, Created:20100427160041)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$26
Nose:Nice rich nose of corn, rye, leather, orange, oak, and a hint of barrel char. Inviting and enticing.
Taste:Soft opening with only a mild upfront sweetness ............sweetness that takes hold about a third of the way into the mouth..........a bit unusual. The sweetness is thick and rich (as the nose promised) and is followed by a more than moderate bite of the peppery spice. There is vanilla and oak to complexify the taste.
Finish:Fairly long and warm finish with a bit of interesting heat. The thickness holds the sweetness almost to the end.
Overall:Excellent whiskey with (for me) a strange lack of upfront and immediate taste. Something unique (I suspect) to this particular barrel. Worth what I paid, but not top shelf to my palate. I chalk this up to the drawbacks that can occur with single barrel whiskies.

Review from mrviognier (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1808, Created:20100216223611)
Purchased at:
Nose:Cola nut, nutmeg, caramel, orange creme, kaffir lime, vanilla, mace, slight barrel char notes. Very high-toned, with spicy, rye notes.
Taste:Medium-bodied, sweet, soft entry, with some viscosity. Midpalate is a bit lacking. Notes of lime and vanilla, with some barrel. Soft, sweet.
Finish:Pleasant, persistent, and high-toned with marginal burn.
Overall:This is a finely-made, pleasant dram. If anything, a bit understated and high-toned. If you're looking for that full-throttle Bourbon with a whack of wood, this may not be to your liking. This isn't a whiskey that shouts as much as whispers. Will definitely keep in stock, and go to it when I want an 'aperitif Bourbon'.

Review from Teflon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1803, Created:20100215233648)
Purchased at:Owensboro, Kentucky
Purchased for:29.99
Info on this bottle:as above
Nose:INTENSE STRAWBERRY w/ hint of peach and maple syrup.
Taste:Sweet start and quite mild and smooth, fruity with a slight vanilla overtones.
Finish:Short oak finish with just the right amount of burn. Surprisingly mild finish but not at all disappointing.
Overall:The aroma alone is worth the purchase and the taste will not let you down. This bourbon is something to have on hand for a nice change of pace. I cannot say enough about the nose...it's incredible! I choose ETL to serve with roasted meats...especially pork and beef rib roasts. An esquisite compliment to a fine meal. (And afterwards with a mild Dominican cigar "ain't" too bad either!) Go out and try it and you will be pleased, I promise.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1790, Created:20100117185519)
Purchased at:Gift from Bob in NY
Info on this bottle:Binny's SB
Nose:This got a little warn next to my computer before I poured it from the 50 ml glass and there is quite a bit of alc in the nose due to it. The sweeter rye parts are also more predominate than normal. There is a nice aroma all through this nose. This might be the best ETL I have nosed.

As this opens more, there is more of the spice I am use to in the ETL. Still more balance than any other ETL I have had, but the spice begins to dominate after a few minutes of opening (not in a bad way, but the sweeter tones are repressed)
Taste:Wow??? first touch I could swear this is a wheater, then the rye slowly creeps in with great balance.

The taste also begins to move towards the spice more than the sweet after 5 min or so. I get all of the standard ETL tastes, but with a better balance in this rye.
Finish:Finish is good, but there is a little sour note 15 seconds into the finish that lasts with the ryes through 30-40 seconds.

After this opens, the sour note is gone. The rye and spice are the leaders here and last for the entire finish that goes at least 60 seconds.
Overall:I had heard this was one of the best ETLs out there and the folks at Binny???s did a great job. I may have to put a bottle on the shelf for the future.

Review from juelze (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1779, Created:20091220223803)
Purchased at:Discount Liquor - Milwaukee, WI
Purchased for:$25.99
Nose:Aroma is very nice on this one. Lots of vanilla, and fruit and floral notes. Some maple syrup, brown sugar and a touch of honey. Very little alcohol in the nose
Taste:Taste is brown sugar, light leather, sweet and fruity. Very enjoyable.
Finish:This finishes a bit sweet and complex with a bit of a light burn and a medium warming.
Overall:Glad I finally snagged a bottle of this stuff. It's definitely a solid bourbon that everyone should try. Lovely stuff!

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1455, Created:20090203164918) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:MA
Purchased for:$26
Info on this bottle:Elmer T. Lee (original gold wax as pictured)
Nose:Cognac-like upon opening with an unmistakable English Toffee note (Callard+Bowser English Toffee) along with a unique and rare caramel sweetness. The slightest edge of citrus (orange+lemon peel) hangs above with an undertow of mushroom and moss. Round, no harsh edges, well-balanced. Big on toffee... next come earthy browns.
Taste:Big on taste. Medium to light viscosity. Tightly knit legs. Slow climb to a firm burn and packed with flavor. Straw, hay, clove, oak, and caramel; very warming. The color is also unique and unlike anything else in my collection. A ripe golden brown. Ripe is the word here, the flavors are ripe with a good sense of complexity. Some mild dark fruit in the middle juxtaposed by a bright top-end citrus note.
Finish:It ends somewhat quickly, semi-dry. Clean around the palette, lingering with brown sugar and old wood. Good heat.
Overall:I'd give this 4 to 4.5 Stars. It's captivating and classy. Not as big on texture as it is on flavor. A one-of-a-kind and after 30 minutes the vanilla surfaces nicely along with the toffee, caramel, mushroom, and earth. The slightest touch of leather at the bottom of the glass. It's awesome bourbon. Toffee extroadinaire. BB

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1418, Created:20090110213249)
Purchased at:A Sailor shipped it to me :)
Purchased for:Gift from Sailor
Info on this bottle:Single Barrel from Hi Time
Nose:Rye and some sweetness. There is a touch of earth to it, but not deep. Some floral that mixes with an almost sugar water touch mixed. Nothing else stands out.

If I swirl it for a while I can get faint hints of milk chocolate ??? or I just might be dizzy from watching it swirl. Nope, it is the milk chocolate and a hit of vanilla to go with that.
Taste:Light, sweet rye, not real burn, some mixed spices, florals (like a bouquet), but nothing super distinct. It tastes good, but not a powerful rye.
Finish:Rye first, then some fall spices and a little sweet. There may be a touch of young oak in it, hard to tell. Over time as it opens a little leather squeezes in with the light-light oak.
Overall:Definitely a younger rye. Very pleasant, but it does not have any bold characteristics. I could see having a bottle of this around for a good drinker when I want a light rye. No real negative attributes unless you were looking for something bolder.

Review from BourbonDave (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1410, Created:20090104215534)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$27
Info on this bottle:Single Barrel
Nose:Vanilla and caramel, and some butterscotch. A little floral tone, but something I want to go back and enjoy again.
Taste:Classic vanilla and caramel. No burn at all, just a wonderful taste of honey, vanilla and some butterscotch.
Finish:A nice finish that you can taste for quite some time. A welcome warming sensation with no alcohol burn at all.
Overall:I hesitated to try this bourbon for quite some time. For the price, it drinks like a very expensive bourbon. If you like your bourbon sweet and delicious you definitely should try ETL. There is alot going on in this Kentucky elixir of the gods!

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1256, Created:20080822001955)
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA
Purchased for:$30
Info on this bottle:Elmer T. Lee
Nose:...6 months later = Smoke and rye. Woody. Bright and edgy. Light caramel sweetness. A bit of a dry burn to the nose. Citrus. Resinous with cedar, oak and cigar box aromas.
Taste:Good burn, still smooth. Wow... Heather. Honey as in the old Pine Brother Honey cough drops of yesteryear. Straw. It kicks butt...
Finish:Long, dry, succulent. Tobacco.
Overall:This is 6 months after opening at one-third empty, no nitro. This bourbon stands up over time... in a big way. Our ol' boy Elmer knows how to create bourbon that stands the test of time. This will always remain one of my favorites. Newly opened, or in-between, it still rocks-on for months after. I used a Riedel Cognac XO 4400/17 for this one. I love this bourbon. BB

Review from Kendall (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 936, Created:20071209090900)
Purchased at:Liquor Mart II, Richmond,Ky.
Purchased for:25.99
Info on this bottle:Single barrel sour mash Elmer T. Lee Ky. straight bourbon whiskey
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:roses,tobacco,sweet. There is a lot going on but it is subtle.
Taste:smooth mouth feel. light wood and honey.
Finish:soft, smooth, warm and sweet.
Overall:A nice addittion to any collection. Easy to drink.

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 841, Created:20070929164458)
Purchased at:PALCB
Purchased for:??
Info on this bottle:Early Gold Foil Release
Nose:Green Apples
Taste:Classic Caramel, Vanilla and Oak. This bottle was not as sweet as some have reported but rather dryish.
Finish:Medium length finish. Caramel and oak with green apples again very late in the finish.
Overall:Pleasant bourbon. I will replace this bottle, if for no other reason than I like Elmer T. Lee - the person.

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 792, Created:20070611202509)
Purchased at:McScrooge's, Knoxville, TN
Purchased for:$30
Nose:A bit rustic and hearty on the nose. Lot's of alcohol and light hint of vanilla (if you hold it away from your nose. If you nose it with your nose buried in the glass, it's all alcohol.
Taste:Nice subtle burn, very oaky. There's a hint of leather on the initial intake, but then a vanilla coating. This is a strong flavor, and a good burn.
Finish:This is tough. The finish is long, but a good slow warming finish. On the back side of the palate this reminds me of an old 15+ year bourbon, that kind of ashy taste you find in Elijah 18 yr, but good...if that makes sense.
Overall:I like this bourbon. I don't think its amazing, but I think its good, definitely worth checking out, especially for the price. Tastes change and right now, I feel that my heart is not in this product enough to rave about it. I like the leathery finish, but the body isn't complex enough for my current tastes.

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 778, Created:20070529125415, Updated:20070531093427) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:McScrooges, Knoxville, TN
Purchased for:29.00
Info on this bottle:Not the wax top ( does it matter?)
Nose:Spicey vanilla oak up front with undertones of earth, leather, and floral honey.
Taste:Not as sweet as expected, but oaky sweet nontheless with combinations of earth, leather, and citrus qualities. SECOND ATTEMPT; It must have been the antihistamine that threw off the flavors the first time, because this time I tasted the honeysuckle floral qualities in the nose, and the earthy flavor was almost absent balancing perfectly with the new sweet tobacco taste not noticed previously. THIRD TIME; Too floral and earthy. Don't like it.
Finish:A rather short, light, flavor finish, predominantly oak, vanilla, and earth and a burn that lasted a bit too long for the flavor. SECOND ATTEMPT; it remains a short/medium finish with the same lingering burn, but the flavor profile has gone from disappointing to exceptional with the floral qualities following through to the last second!!! THIRD TIME: Too much on the floral/earthy end.
Overall:I have read so many rave reviews about this inexpensive top-shelf Elmer T. Lee, but I wasn't impressed. I can't believe this is it! Maybe my bottle was bad, but I thought the flavor profile was rather narrow, the proof seemed like 105 or better and I couldn't get past the earthy taste. Is the wax top bottling supposed to be different or something? SECOND ATTEMPT; You should always give something new to you a second and even a third chance. If I had given up on ETL, I would have forever missed out on one of the most floral bourbons to date! The flavor profile was also much more expansive and appealing than before. Drink straight ( no coke)! A definate buy again! THIRD TIME; I take that back. Third times a charm, but not in this case. I'd rather look at and smell flowers than eat them. The floral qualities were too much for me and it was kind of like drinking perfume.

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 745, Created:20070416175546)
Purchased at:Sam's Wine and Spirits
Purchased for:~$25
Info on this bottle:Single Barrel Sour Mash
Nose:Very fruity--sort of a darker shade of a typical peach aroma. Floral and grassy w/ some mild underpinnings of sawdust and tobacco. Quite soft but still rich and full.
Taste:Initial peppery bite on the tongue wanes into a spicy caramel sweetness w/ a balancing tartness. Tasting reveals more complexity than the nose w/ notes of vanilla and leather becoming apparent.
Finish:Slight burn at the back of the throat. Sharp and earthy initially but more subdued as it progresses through various spicy and fruity tones.
Overall:Fantastic. Velvety and full. Mild but strikingly flavorful.

Review from TennBourbonMan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 639, Created:20061110200052)
Purchased at:Red Dog Wine and Spirits
Purchased for:$32
Nose:A blend of Honey and spice with a floral and fruity undertone (citrus peel?). This bourbon's not blown away by oak and puts forth a "softer" side, but I wouldn't dare call it soft. The nose is very apparent, and almost "fresh" for a lack of better term.
Taste:The initial sip reveals how oily this brownwater is. It's thick and well structured (in my terminology it doesn divulge everything at once). There's a nutty, sweet caramel character with again that honey coming through (think Orange blossom) as the bourbon heads down the hatch. The heat is controlled and warm with a moderate spice.
Finish:Just an excellent finish that lingers long on the palate - most probably due to it's viscousity - providing some oak backbone, a slight sweetness and some peppery dryness. It's a satisfying finish for sure.
Overall:I am all too sorry that I've ignored Elmer too long. I found it to be just a hell of a bourbon for the buck providing well balanced flavors and an awesome finish. A very special bourbon that everyone should try.

Review from BourbonEnthusiast (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 599, Created:20061004181952, Updated:20061004182854)
Purchased at:State of VA , ABC
Purchased for:$21
Info on this bottle:NA
Proof Of this Bottle:90 PROOF
Nose:vanilla, tobacco, apple cider, cloves and a mix of flowers
Taste:Perfect blend of smoke and apple cider at the front end, followed by a spicey alchohol run and a white oak aftertaste.
Finish:Nice amount of oak, which does not overpower the boubon like other single barrels that are aged a bit too long.
Overall:Hats off to Buffalo Trace! This is a quality single-barrel bourbon at a plastic bottle price. Smooth, sweet and sophisticated.

Review from Squire (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 489, Created:20060430175450)
Purchased at:Jackson, MS
Purchased for:$16.95
Info on this bottle:Elmer T. Lee new style bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:45%
Nose:A rich nose, caramel with a bit of oak, hint of hay in the background.
Taste:Very generous mouthfill with a smooth, rich texture. Taste of caramel, toffee and oak with spice ariving mid palate. A very rich Bourbon leaning toward the sweeter side of the flavor spectrum.
Finish:Slight oak astringency with very little alcohol present. The best way I can describe the finish is buttery.
Overall:This is a very well intergrated whiskey. Its bold aroma, flavor and texture combine so well the sum of the parts are approachable by anyone. This is an elegant evening whiskey.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 382, Created:20060311081539)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:7.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Single Barrel Bottle
Nose:Vanilla and toffee with spice - pepper and mint, and floral tones - roses.
Taste:Caramel toffee and buttered corn with cinnamon spice and dark fruits - Plums and ripe pears.
Finish:Sweet caramel and oak with a little spice that lasts a long time.
Overall:Drink it neat as an apertif or after dinner with a fruity desert.

Review from JoeBourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 304, Created:20051101133000)
Purchased at:PALCB Store
Purchased for:24.37
Info on this bottle:Gold Wax
Nose:I agree with Gary Gillman. Nothing stands out but there is nothing offensive either. A very good classic bourbon nose.
Taste:Sweet and lucious mouth feel. Not alcoholic at all. Great rye spice and fruity flavors. Impecably balanced.
Finish:Long and wonderful. Hints of dried or candied fruit and spices.
Overall:A tribute to it's namesake and his ability to select perfect barrels. At 10-14 years old this is a top shelf bourbon at a mid-shelf price. One pour is not nearly enough. This one is good enough, and sweet enough, to take on the best wheaters. Highly recommended.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 287, Created:20051002101405)
Purchased at:Gift
Info on this bottle:Bottled May 2005 for Civic Center Liquor, SF, Barrel #6
Nose:Very nice and complex. It has caramel and vanilla with a hint of honey. There are spices from the rye -pepper and cinnamon. In the background there is some smokey, oak wood and fine leather and tobacco.
Taste:Smmoth with no alcohol burn, yet enough warmth to set the angels dancing on the tounge. Sweet caramel and corn with some pepper spice in the taste.
Finish:The best part of this fine product is the finish. It is spicy and sweet to start mutating into a nice dry woodiness that is not too woody, but leaves you wanting some more bourbon.
Overall:Drink it neat and drink it often. This is a fine product at a reasonable price.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 92)
Purchased at:Toronto, Ontario
Purchased for:$38 (CAN)
Info on this bottle:as above
Nose:Mild pure scent of bourbon whiskey, no ethanol, light maple scents
Taste:Soft and rich, less "spiky" than before, Linn is right that this brand has evolved, and for the better. I agree with all Linn's remarks and also find a medicinal-like taste, one I do not find that often in bourbon (I have seen it in earlier bottlings of ORVW rye). It makes the drink more complex and rewarding. Everything is in balance backed by a rich bourbon sweetness but with a hint of congener, this is still whiskey! On another board I read that Elmer Lee (the emritus distiller) now has complete control over this bottling, whereas before, the marketing guys and others had some input. The change shows, I detected it it even before reading about the change (Ken Weber made the statement, who should know). This is very fine whiskey, I cannot imagine American bourbon was ever better. The pros like Mr. Elmer Lee know the score, and left to their own devices you get full-bore quality and matchless taste. You can drink it straight, too, and hardly notice the alcohol. Be careful!
Finish:Bourbon fumes continue to reverberate from the back of the mouth but softly, perfumedly, richly. This is better than cognac, friends, it (bourbon) may have started off as a, "wannabee" but in this form it surpasses its model.
Overall:Highest quality, perfect for people who like rich, expressive whiskey. And good value, too, relatively speaking.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 46)
Purchased at:Bootleged into Virginia from Maryland.
Purchased for:$18
Nose:Held against the crisp cloudless blue fall sky of Virginia, Elmer T. Lee sparkles in the sunlight a classic amber with a burnished copper cast with glinting orange highlights flickering like a candle.

There is no need for any dilution and heavy nosing is encouraged. Sweet char leaps out bringing; caramel, candied corn, subdued oak, and cinnamon. Nugat and cotton candy play hide and seek.
Taste:There has been some flavor profile drift as far as I can tell from the E.T. Lees of the past, but if this bottle is any indication - this is a good thing. Elmer T. Lee has always been the sweetest of the single barrels offered from the Buffalo Trace Distillery, and this bottle does not disappoint. Heavy sweet char on the top, with a heavenly French vanillia close in second on the inside. Coming up quickly on the outside is a rare malt-tinged corn-on-the-cob. Pepper - no butter. Bringing up the rear is the oak! This is surprising as the oak is almost always out front. This quirky turn of flavor events makes Elmer T. Lee a standout bourbon in any crowd!
Finish:Shifting satin rays of sunlight playing on the beach at sunset. The onset of the rye spiceness lasts as the tide receeds. A sand castle stands watch as waves lap the pier as heavily laden ships come in to unload their catch. A seaman embraces his wife.
Overall:Easily one of the very best bourbons to be had at any price. Buy it. Drink it. Love it.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews