Bottling NameMastersons Straight Rye
TypeRye
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Unknown Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Mashbill Info100% rye
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 21260
Bottling Info

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2274, Created:20131101181126) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Toronto
Purchased for:$100 +
Info on this bottle:Batch 5
Nose:Slight chemical; warm wood; remnant of Alberta summers
Taste:Superb! Deeper and rounder than Batch 3 last essayed. Less chemical/slate but still a touch. I suspect this stock is older than the first couple of batches. Very worthy, best Canadian I've had.
Finish:Oak, earthy, slight acetone, char decay
Overall:9 out of 10.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2176, Created:20130402121208, Updated:20130402121600)
Purchased at:Toronto
Purchased for:$100 +
Info on this bottle:Also Batch 003.
Nose:Light minty and sweet flavours
Taste:Full-tasting and surprisingly sweet, minty again with a notable dank earth-like quality which must be an effect of the warehouse or the position of the selected barrels therein. You can definitely taste the low-distillation character and new charred barrel, it is definitely a straight whiskey.
Finish:The earthy notes tend to linger in the finish.
Overall:I give it a high rating but I've now sampled from three bottles and I feel the earthy quality is a negative. Still very good and distinctive, but I'd prefer a cleaner taste and finish. Withal my comments seem similar to Joe's except he did not mention any earthy notes. As always, people will differ in their impressions, or some of the latter.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2152, Created:20130205235450) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Florabama Liquor Store on the Floride/Alabama Line.
Purchased for:69.95
Info on this bottle:Batch 003; Bottle 3981 10 y/o Canadian Rye
Nose:Heavy Rye Spice. Very Very Light Mint.
Taste:Sweet on the front end. Rye spice and then some. Very light mint. Nice balance.
Finish:Finish was quite long and sturdy.
Overall:A very flavorful 10 y/o Rye. Recommended. Would make a great Manhattan.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews