Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameGeorge T. Stagg 2009
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content141.4 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 32903
Bottling Info

Review from leadbelly2550 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1734, Created:20091022174552)
Purchased at:West End, Washington, DC
Purchased for:$69 (expensive store)
Info on this bottle:Standard labeling
Nose:Note that i consumed this with two ice cubes which melted by the time i finished, which is the way i most enjoy another uncut bourbon, Booker's. alcohol (at this proof, how could it not), dried fruit, sweet in an intense way (molasses or brown sugar), vanilla that is more subdued than in many lighter bourbons, maybe a hint of tanned leather. There are other things going on here, but i won't pretend to be able to identify them.
Taste:the overall impression is intensity - strong, concentrated flavor. woody, dried fruit, warm in the mouth and going down. it has that bourbon sweetness, like toasted grains with some caramel or brown sugar mixed in. i'm surprised that the flavor really dominates rather than the alcohol aspect of this.
Finish:warm for at least five minutes. the alcohol burn feels strongest during this time, but again, not as strong as i expected. the wood/leather element feels stronger here, and maybe a tobacco sense. sweetness lingers, but not as much as the initial taste.
Overall:this is a muscular, riveting bourbon with few equals, provided you like your kentucky whiskey strong. a little bit of water or an ice cube or two make it better, in my opinion. i don't see this as an every day bourbon, but one to save for special occasions (like when you have a designated driver!).

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews