Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Weller Antique 'New Label'
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content107 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoWheated Bourbon
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 55383
Bottling InfoNo Age Statement

Review from amazingamanda1991 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2364, Created:20160303234122)
Purchased at:
Nose:[Olfactory impressions]
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression]
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2321, Created:20150115221336, Updated:20150115223106)
Purchased at:Binny's Chicago south loop
Purchased for:$25
Nose:Oak, brown sugar, some vanilla. It's also got sort of a strange herbal scent I can't place. Eucalyptus? As expected, the ethanol is strong with this one.

*Edit: I've let it sit for a bit longer and am picking up a pretty strong maple scent. Very nice.
Taste:A little drier than I'd like, but not bad. Slightly sweet; mostly cherry with some caramel or toffee. The sweet flavors seem to turn into cinnamon spice after a bit. The oak is much stronger on the palate than the nose.
Finish:Again, dry with some alcohol burn. Not too long, not too short. Flavors are mostly cherry and oak, seems a little nutty as well.
Overall:For the cost I can see why this bourbon is so popular; I worked at the very store I bought this bottle from and we could barely keep the stuff on the shelves. The burn is definitely there but not too bad considering the high proof. I was expecting more sweetness from a wheater; this one seemed to have a lot of spice to it. Still, definitely not bad for the money. Not on my list of favorites right now but I might buy another bottle in the future.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Augmister (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2313, Created:20141023231032)
Purchased at:Joyal's
Purchased for:21.99
Info on this bottle:Old Weller Antique
Nose:Sweet vanilla and caramel followed by oak and more vanilla Surprisingly sweet
Taste:Vanilla, caramel and then a hint of pepper, nice quick burn No alcohol taste, very pleasant
Finish:Pleasant finish that wants you to begin the process/experience all over again
Overall:Read many reviews before this first purchase and it was on my list. Sampled tonight and did not disappoint. Can easily see why this is an everyday pour for many folks. Now have to decide if I want to take a case of this for the long term... This compares favorably with the more expensive Woodford Reserve.

Review from KettleOne (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2111, Created:20120831185831)
Purchased at:NC ABC Store
Purchased for:22.00
Nose:In many ways, I think the nose is the most impressive part of this fine whiskey. It is a rich smell. Heavy. As with many of my reviews, I can only smell brown sugar and vanilla. But it is a very pleasant smell.
Taste:At first, I taste a strong sting of rye and the heat of the high proof. But, the flavor is dry and crisp...reminds me of Stagg with less strength. I get hints of vanilla and toffee. I like the kick. It's a man's whiskey.
Finish:Lingering flavor. I get a grain taste. Burnt flavor. Good. Smoothed over by wheat. I liken the finish to some complex whiskeys like William Larue Weller in 123 proof. Good stuff.
Overall:This is a bargain whiskey. In my opinion, the flavors and its overall impression are synonomous with a very expensive whiskey with William Larue Weller or Stagg. This whiskey is similar to its brethren. It has all that I like in whiskey...not sweet, a good sting and a long finish. Highly recommend it.

Review from mrviognier (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1826, Created:20100324221118)
Purchased at:Sales Sample
Nose:Caramel, candy corn, sweet oak, hay, lemon curd/orange blossom, spun sugar. Very pleasant...nothing disjointed here.
Taste:Hello! Now THAT is how Bourbon should taste. Sweet entry leading to a solid, smooth mid-palate of cereal, barrel, cola nut. Sweet and viscous.
Finish:Like skating on glass...smooth and goes on and on. Great integration of alcohol here...and everything else.
Overall:A well-crafted, seamless Bourbon that just begs to be savored. I almost forgot just how good Weller is. Never again!

Review from juelze (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1780, Created:20091220230431)
Purchased at:Discount Liquor - Milwaukee, WI
Purchased for:$19.99
Info on this bottle:New label
Nose:Nice is a bit spicey with a bit of a herbaceous aroma. Notes of honey and once you get past the alcohol, a nice aroma of vanilla.
Taste:Taste is of a bit of leather, grass, and only in the finish you do get a bit of honey and vanilla.
Finish:Very enjoyable finish. Very long warmth with a quick burn up front.
Overall:A solid bourbon for the price!

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1735, Created:20091022191425)
Purchased at:BevMo Sac, CA
Purchased for:$22 with tax
Nose:Reminds me of the ones from 2004. Good OWA nose with a rich vanilla and sweetness.
Taste:Ahhh. That is good juice. vanilla, maple, light woods and toches of caramel.
Finish:A little shorter than expected,but not short. A good 45 sedonds plus and wonderful. ALl of teh vanillas, sweetnesses and flavors you expect from OWA
Overall:Save your money on the 07-09 OWA old bottles and go pick these first gent new bottles up. They are far better than the end of the Old Label Run.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1730, Created:20091016181519)
Purchased at:Julio's
Purchased for:$25 including tax and shipping ($18 at store)
Info on this bottle:New Label BD/BE SB from the Bourbon Crusades
Nose:This is fresh off of the Fed Ex truck and it is doing great. There is a very close relationship to the PVW 15yr here. Lot of the same characteristics, with a touch of youth. Brown sugars, creams, and some nice oak. There are hints of vanilla with a passing of citrus.
Taste:VANILLA then candy corn and cream. 15 seconds in brings some soft burn that increases over time. 30 seconds in brings touches of oak and more cream...
Finish:a little cinnamon with the vanilla and cream. The candy corn sweetness just touches in and out with the vanilla and brown sugar.
Overall:Glad I got 12, but one is going to Morgan... I need to get another case easy....

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews