Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameFour Roses Yellow 'New Label'
Bottled ByFour Roses Distillery LLD Lawrenceburg,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Available
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 46522
Bottling Info

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2322, Created:20150120231013)
Purchased at:Binny's South Loop
Purchased for:$20
Nose:Strong pepper and sweet floral scents with some oak and vanilla. The vanilla definitely gets stronger after it has aerated for a few minutes, becoming almost minty. Very pleasant.
Taste:Sweet vanilla at first, quickly turns spicy, like cinnamon and pepper. Slightly oaky with some alcohol burn.
Finish:Strong oak, slightly smokey and a little bitter. It finishes a bit like Jim Beam white label but not as overpowering. Not amazing, but not bad either.
Overall:I thought the nose on this was very nice. Overall however, I wasn't that impressed. I'd consider it a little better than some cheaper offerings (like Evan Williams black label, my favorite 10 dollar pour), but not worth the price difference.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2200, Created:20130621163532)
Purchased at:Lee's Discount Liquor, Las Vegas NV
Purchased for:$19.99 750ml
Info on this bottle:New Yellow Label
Nose:Nice dark golden amber color.

Very very nice vanilla note, caramel, honey, nice oaky scent, spicy.
Taste:Very nice oak note, sweet touch of vanilla, caramel, with some spicy notes.
Finish:A very nice medium finish, slightly dry. A very smooth bourbon.
Overall:A very nice bourbon for the price, would recommend.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from dickelfanaustralia (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2151, Created:20130205065439, Updated:20130426070151)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:Lots!!!
Info on this bottle:2ulb9013. Green Cap.
Nose:juice, airy, maple. buttery, soft oak.
Taste:Maple, Buttery, Huge aniseed. Body like pear juice the whole way. Little Hot alcohol. I'm lost how this has a high rye mash bill. It's like pear juicy with anseed. Mixxing changed nothing and turned it more aniseed.
Finish:Aniseed star and Pear Juice. Leaves me sedated.
Overall:I don't fancy it at all sorry. I liked the marshmallow like taste but not the body. A fluffy mashmellow body would be great and unique. I really wanted to like it cause it was drank in Zombie Holocast.

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1990, Created:20110930234623, Updated:20111001001033)
Purchased at:LCBO in Hamilton,Ontario...
Purchased for:$28.95 CDN
Info on this bottle:(on the neck) Authentic Est.1888...The label says Four Roses Bourbon...Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey...It has Jim Rutledges signature as Master Distiller...On the back label it describes the legend of Four Roses...
Nose:Interesting for a supposedly bottom shelf offering...Toffee...Some corn sweetness...Some fruitiness(bananas?)...Oak...
Taste:Muted toffee/caramel...Wood tannins...Fading to a sort of buttery thing going on...Again,very interesting...
Finish:Fairly lengthy for something of this value...It definately has some staying power.Heavier on the wood/oak.Not as sweet as the original taste.As I said,the original toffee/caramel thing is muted and after a few seconds there is an almost buttery quality ...Pretty good!
Overall:Firstly,I have to say I was going in to get a bottle of Jim Beam Black.To my utter surprise and amazment I noticed several Four Roses offerings on the shelf.I was not aware it was available in Canada,and I suppose,it is a testament to the growing popularity of the Four Roses brand.This version is a bottom shelf version that is competing with Jim Beam White Label,Wild Turkey 80,Jack Daniels Old No.7,etc...This definately stands up,although it is around the same value as Jim Beam Black.It's definately not as flavourful as Black,but it IS more complex.It definately is as good as Beam White and puts the other two to shame,frankly.This is very good stuff for the price...Highly recommended!!!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 998, Created:20080122175855, Updated:20090610205104) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Purchased for:$18.00
Info on this bottle:Just bought in Bardstown, the new, darker yellow label with top edge serrated
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Toffee.
Taste:Rich and sweet, the toffee enveloping however other, more distillery-oriented flavors such as fruit gum and strawberry.
Finish:Quite long for an 80 proof with complexity evident.
Overall:Superb product. Clearly, as per rumor, the bourbon in this new label design also was reformulated. Best 80 proof out there today and beats half of the rest of the competition. Perfect for neat sipping. No one makes whiskeys with the finesse of this product other than Four Roses.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 858, Created:20071014132636, Updated:20090610204953) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Four Roses Distillery
Purchased for:18.95
Info on this bottle:The new design Yellow label
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Caramel and spice - nutmeg and cinnamon, with some floral tones - violets or lavender, or some other sweet smelling flower, in the background competeing with the spices. Oak wood is also in the mix but only very lightly.
Taste:Caramel and vanilla with some sweet corn and spicey rye. Not as thin as I expected with a good mouth feel and very little alcohol burn.
Finish:The finish really makes this bourbon take flight. It is long and unexpected. The taste is so sweet that the spicey flavors of cinnamon and pepper mixed with the oak tannins of the finish, really makes you do a double take. I think this may be one of the best finishes on a bourbon I have experienced in a long time.
Overall:Al Young was saying they re-formulated the yellow label when they changed the label design. He said he liked the new version quite well, so I bought a bottle to see if he was right. I am in agreement with Al. They changed the formula to give it a bit more flavor, but for me that extra flavor really comes in the finish. The initial taste is very similar to what I remeber as Yellow Label Four Roses, but the finish is far superior to the old formula, This going to become a great value bourbon and I think it would go great with a mild cigar.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews