Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Charter 7
Bottled ByUnited Distillers ,
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoUD low rye
Age7
Views (since 20080612) 7683
Bottling Info

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1313, Created:20081015191830, Updated:20090517194101) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sample from Gillman
Info on this bottle:Bottled in 1947 at 7 years old
Nose:Tasted in a Glencairn glass. Nice orange to amber color with good legs. Sweet with citrus fruit and vanilla and a hint of oak wood. Not overly complex but nice on the nose.
Taste:The taste seems a little thin at first without any oiliness but then it comes on strong with that citrus fruitines and caramel. A little sweet spice comes toward the end.
Finish:Wow! The finish is where this bourbon shines. That sweet citrus fruit and caramel transforms into a bit of dry wood and citrus fruit until finally it all balances out with sweet vanilla and oak tannins. I love this finish!
Overall:Thanks Gary for this sample. It is a very good example of what would be considered a young bourbon by today's standards showing that maturity is more important than age. If I tasted this bourbon thinking it was made today, I would say at least 10 years ald if not older and I would be suprised that so much of the original distillate flavor came through after all of that time in the barrel.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews