Bottling NameEvan Williams Single Barrel - Vintage 1997
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86.6 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Available Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 17925
Bottling Info

Review from thesfaktor (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1086, Created:20080522004427)
Purchased at:Kenwood Liquors, Oak Lawn, IL
Purchased for:$23
Info on this bottle:Barreled on 7-14-97, Barrel no. 86, Bottled on 12-14-06
Nose:Malty
Taste:Malty smooth, scotch like balance of oak with the other flavors.
Finish:Spicy, mild wood of well-aged whisky, reminds me of scotch as a mellow and pleasing wood with a mushy corn presence.
Overall:An excellent drink far above the standard black label EW.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 901, Created:20071112184841)
Purchased at:ABC, Orlando,
Purchased for:~24
Info on this bottle:750 ml,
Proof Of this Bottle:86.6
Nose:Neat:
Rich, strong, vanilla with orange citrus on the end of the nose. After it sits for a few minutes
Taste:Neat:
I like this. It is like a glass of egg nog. Rick caramel and.... I almost want to say a rum taste to it (molasses rum).
Finish:Neat:
0-15 seconds the taste drops to a nice mellow flavor of Vanilla with a light burn
15-30 seconds the burn subsides and you are left with a light vanilla and very light leather
30-45 seconds the vanilla and the leather are lighter, but still feel rich.
45-60 seconds begins to fade away and at 60 it is time for another sip.
Overall:Remarkable for a 86.6 proof bourbon. I think I will have to continue to drink this neat. A lot like the Barrel Strength Weller without the alcohol

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 899, Created:20071112181908, Updated:20080612170808)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:from scott
Nose:
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:Had some from another bottle... see other review... the 97 is better...

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 872, Created:20071028110118) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Virginia ABC Store #338 - Waynesboro, Virginia
Purchased for:$24
Info on this bottle:Barreled on 6-6-97 Barrel no. 580 Bottled on 7-11-07
Proof Of this Bottle:86.6
Nose:Let's look at the color first, shall we? It's a honey toned amber that when held to some sunlight reveals a tinge of copper. A swirl in the glass produces nice legs and what looks to be a medium body by way of viscosity.

This nose is rather unique among all of the vintages that I have tried in the past. The malted barley is really in evidence here in a good way, and far more than in any previous expression. Maple sugar candy is the outstanding topnote with honey; sweet charred oak, and hint of corn. Quite a nicely complex nose that is fairly well balanced.

Taste:Mouthfeel is very soft, and is something I very much like in a bourbon. Upon entry on the palate there is a very interesting malty tingle on the tip of the tongue just like I have found in Blanton's. This is also something I really like. The flavors are very well balanced and thus difficult to pull apart. Maple sugar & honey standout. Oak turns tart, but not tannic. Greatfully gone is the signature Heaven Hill medicinal/champhor element.
Finish:The finish is pleasent indeed! Warm with drying oak of a medium slow decay. If anything new arrives it is just the slightest hint of mint about halfway through the finish.
Overall:A truely refreshing glass of bourbon that is shocking in that it comes from Heaven Hill. In a blind tasting, I would have never guessed this was Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon. I'd say this is a must try bourbon. This review was written on-the-fly just as the tasting was going on. "The Pure Glass" from Maison du Whisky, Paris was used for this review.

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 751, Created:20070423181801)
Purchased at:Minks
Purchased for:$24
Info on this bottle:This is the 1997 vintage.
Nose:slight caramel nose with a shade of vanilla mixed in there.
Taste:Slightly milder than what I remember the 1995 being. In fact, a bit too smooth.
Finish:The finish is a bit flat on this one. Leathery in the beginning then it tapers off.
Overall:I'm not jazzed on this one. I bought the 97 b/c I didn't see any 95 anywhere. I would save my pennies next time and get something else. Not bad for the price, but unlike years past, this now seems like a standard Twenty $omething bottle.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 729, Created:20070320141948, Updated:20070321060946)
Purchased at:Crown Liquors, Fort Lauderdale
Purchased for:$20 something
Info on this bottle:This is the 1997 vintage, made at Beam in Clermont (under HH supervision) due to the 1996 fire at HH
Nose:Light and subtle holding notes of oak, creosote, ethanol and a fruit of some kind
Taste:The mouthfeel is light and airy, the scents in the nose mainfest in the flavor. It is clean, with no off-flavors at all and none of the eucalyptus that has characterised HH bourbons (but more in the past I think)
Finish:Faint but pleasant with light tannic and alcohol notes and also something mellow of roses or medicine.
Overall:I rate this very high and quite different from previous vintages. Some in the past seemed citric (the earlier ones); some minty and a bit clumsy perhaps (I recall the 95 or 96 being a little unbalanced but bear in mind, this is single barrel...). I wonder if the Beam still has lightened the trademark HH snap. I assume this whiskey was aged at Heaven Hill itself yet it bears some resemblance I find to Knob Creek, just lighter. It must be the still. An elegant whiskey that would be good after dinner in a snifter and is better than any VS cognac I know and a lot of VSOPs.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews