Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameBTEC Chardonnay Finish
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeWhiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 14421
Bottling InfoThere are 2 variants of this whiskey which were produced. One is re-barreled in a used chardonnay cask after 6 years and was put in the barrel at 125.1 proof. The second re-barreled after 10 years and put in at 135.2 proof. Both variants aged in Warehouse I. Floor 1, Rick O, Row O next to one another. The rebarelled barrels were medium toast wine barrels by Tonnellerie Radoux. The final product of each variant is chill filtered and bottled at 90 proof on 2-22-2007.

Photo courtesy of TNbourbon

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1165, Created:20080623230707)
Purchased at:Julio's
Info on this bottle:~1/4 ounce pours
Nose:Definitely wine on the nose. Not sure I could guess chardonnay if I did not know.
Taste:Wine, very nice on the pallet. Sweet and now I can tell chardonnay
Finish:Oak first, the chardonnay with a semi-dry total finish. It is a long finish. Oak, sweet and hard wood flavors
Overall:Not sure if I would by this, but it is not bad
Best thus far... Surprising

I am not sure how this would have been if there was 1-2 ounces and time to let it grow at I drank it.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 768, Created:20070514150534)
Purchased at:Atlas Liquors, Medford MA
Purchased for:$45 each
Nose:The younger expression is rich with aromas of juniper and grapes. The older one is much richer and darker with aromas of dark fruit, such as black cherry and prunes.
Taste:The younger has a light sweet flavor with white wine, caramel, brown sugar and fresh fruit. The older is much richer and adds in oak, choco-caramel, and sometimes burnt caramel.
Finish:The finish is medium length and tastes like Chardonnay. Sorry, that's all I get, wine finish.
Overall:

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 743, Created:20070408171020)
Purchased at:Red Dog Wine & Spirits, Franklin, TN
Purchased for:$65 each
Info on this bottle:As above
Nose:The young one is very delicate, with a lot of the wine influence present. There is an underpinning of Red Hots candies and spring flower garden. The older bottling identifies many more bourbon-oak-barrel notes, with rich butter-caramel displayed across a whiff of ripe, unprocessed white grapes (Chardonnay, I'd bet).
Taste:A grape-y first sense gives way in the 14-year whiskey to a quick flash of alcohol, with light orange and young leather rolling to the back of the tongue. The 18-year version skips the grape to present orange marmalade and treated leather, with a buttery texture that hints at caramel.
Finish:The younger finish is relatively short and dissipating, leaving only a mild sense of citrus peel that lingers. The older finish is slightly lengthened, but no less subtle, also persisting in sugared orange-peel candy freshness.
Overall:Seems to me that a used Chardonnay barrel is a sort of Fountain of Youth for bourbon/whiskey. Neither finished product, after 8 additional years in wine-wood, seems anywhere near the age it was before entry. These are light-bodied aparetif whiskeys with interesting flavors of medium complexity.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews