Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameMichters Pot-Stilled
Bottled ByMichter's Distillery Schaefferstown,PA
TypeWhiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Views (since 20080612) 13526
Bottling InfoThe original Michters whiskey from Shaefferstown, PA. Can still be found in various decanters on ebay. Not to be confused with the newer (currently available) Michters whiskey that is not from the same source.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2193, Created:20130503192515, Updated:20130503192840)
Purchased at:JT's place in Bardstown (i.e., Liquor World)
Purchased for:$40.00
Info on this bottle:New, i.e., revivalist, bottling, from current owners of Michters trademark
Nose:Oak, kind of coarse, reminds me of some of the other brands in the revival line
Taste:More oak, a little rough, straight whiskey to be sure but...
Finish:Spiky and roiling, not really my thing
Overall:Not impressed sorry to say. I held out lots of hope for this and it may well (the mashbill) have copied the original Michter's Original Sour Mash spec but it seems quite different to me. I agree with Ethan that the original did vary based on numerous tastings at straightbourbon.com gazebos over the years, but this current emulation seems rather distant from those. Still, with soda or cola, it's a decent mixed drink.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from ethangsmith (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1816, Created:20100307170208)
Purchased at:auctions, estates, collections
Purchased for:various
Info on this bottle:several decanter sources
Nose:Interesting smell. Due to re-used cooperage for some batches, each batch has a slightly different smell. Some had a rye-like spiciness while others were more corny. Some were oaky and dark while others were not.
Taste:Unlike anything else. Again, due to re-used cooperage at times, there was great variation in the flavor. But it was always smooth with intense flavor. Fruity and warm.
Finish:Always a good finish. The batches that were barreled in new barrels can be easily distinguished here by their smoky, oaky finish. Some spiciness seems to be in some batches while others are very short and smooth. The finish is longer than expected with some great sweet, fruity tones.
Overall:My favorite. I have rescued about 15 quarts from leaky decanters for preservation and drinking. This stuff gets rarer everyday so if you find some, drink up!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from JoeBourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 517, Created:20060602043417)
Purchased at:E-Bay
Purchased for:28.00
Info on this bottle:Connestoga Covered Wagon Decanter from 1976
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Lots of corn and faint hints of oak. Nothing too remarkable here.
Taste:Phenominal. Lots of ripe fruit. Not alcoholic. Fruit lingers into the finish. You could almost have this stuff for breakfast.
Finish:Long finish still showing the fruit.
Overall:This is one of the great sour mash whiskies of yesteryear. It was produced in Shaefferstown Pennsylvania in 1976 at the now defunct Michter's Distillery. Although technically not Bourbon, it is a fine expression of a truly great sour mash whiskey.
Gone but never forgotten, this was some really fine stuff.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews