Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameWild Turkey Russells Reserve
Bottled ByAustin Nichols Distilling Co. Lawrenceburg,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 27215
Bottling InfoThe 'New' 90 Proof version; It replaced the old 101 proof version.

Review from Duewester (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2241, Created:20130914162801)
Purchased at:A hole in the wall in Abbeville, SC
Purchased for:$33.95
Info on this bottle:Old Style label with black border
Nose:[Olfactory impressions] Nice runs in the Glencairn glass (with lid). I had to REALLY INHALE HARD to get a nose from this. My nose must be dying. However, it does have a very pleasant smell of fruity sugars. Like a hard seed fruit (Apricot, peach...). I get this impression of 'age'. It's hard to describe, like old leather bound books. If there is a spice, I'd have to say it's vanilla and very very faint.
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression] If there is a flavor, it's on the bottom of the bottle. I get the burn and was hoping for the vanilla to come out but all I get is a burn and sour tingle on the tongue.
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]Well, I paid too much for this one. Dust doesn't mean much. I've had bottom shelf bourbon with more flavor. The first impression smell was hard to get but was promising. I had high hopes for some braised peaches or ripe apricots. I may give this to the wife to use for cooking pies. They will linger longer on my pallet.
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]There was sediment on the bottom of the bottle and the lady said nobody had asked about the stuff since she started work there more than five years ago. Bottle was thick with dust and from the older style label with a heavy black border. This wasn't worth the money I paid and if this is a Wild Turkey "Reserve" product, I shudder to think what the rest of their inventory tastes like.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2198, Created:20130611175550)
Purchased at:Layton, State Liquor Store
Purchased for:$33 750ml
Info on this bottle:Russell's Reserve - 10 Year - 90 Proof
Nose:Very nice deep golden amber color.

Vanilla, oaky, slightly spiced, with some caramel notes.
Taste:Full Body, Very nice oak notes, sweet, with some nice spicyness.
Finish:Very nice, slightly dry and still oaky, with some sweetness. A very nice sipper.
Overall:A very nice bourbon, quite different than most bourbons also that I've had to date. It's more hotter even though the ABV is 90%.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from mrviognier (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1817, Created:20100308223534) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Given as a gidt.
Purchased for:Zilch!
Info on this bottle:Signed by Eddie Russell last year
Nose:Oak plank, pepper, burnt sugar, leather, candied orange peel, mace, sweet corn.
Taste:Medium bodied, slightly sweet (but not viscous) entry, pronounced - but pleasant - alcohol, with a great touch of spice.
Finish:Very long finish that accentuates the wood, spice, corn and sugar notes. While 'sweet', it's not sugary. Very pleasant.
Overall:This bottle really shows its Wild Turkey heritage. Very pleasant, but if I were to be hyper-critical, I'd note that the mid-palate is a touch thin. That said, it's a very enjoyable Bourbon, and one that I'd be happy to consumer anytime. Even breakfast.

Review from BourbonDave (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1760, Created:20091120192034, Updated:20091120192719) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$22
Info on this bottle:10 Year Old
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Light nose. Leathery, caramel, brown sugar and a whiff of citrus every now and then.
Taste:A very buttery entry, soft mouthfeel. A more refined WT101 to be sure. Very sweet and some spice at the back of the palate.
Finish:If this bourbon is lacking it is in the finish. It is very brief almost non existent. Very unusual for WT bourbon.
Overall:I really like this bourbon. It's reasonably priced for a 10yr old, smooth and sweet. A bit muted for signature turkey flavor, but still a good bourbon. A great everyday pour.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1664, Created:20090827194943)
Purchased at:
Nose:Warm rye, leather, light vanilla, oak, burnt brown sugar, just the faintest hint of maple syrup, and nuts. Wild Turkey to be sure, and as always, inviting in its bourbon-ness.
Taste:A bit short on the best of WT sweetness (it has been diluted to 90 Proof), but still unmistakenly WT in its spicy bite.
Finish:Spicy long............no sweetness persists
Overall:Like the 80 proof version, it is real bourbon and is undoubtedly enjoyed by many.............compare it to other WT bourbons and in my opinion, you will know it by its shortcomings...........my own biased opinion. I like ALL WT bourbons and this is my second least favorite.

Review from kystormwatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1468, Created:20090206222217)
Purchased at:Westport Whiskey and Wine (8/2008)
Purchased for:$32
Info on this bottle:10 y/o std bottle (mine signed by the legend, Mr. Russell)
Nose:Wonderful sweet aroma. Brown sugar comes through strong and at various times, I'm reminded of caramels and red hot cinnamon drops. Like a walk in the candy store.
Taste:The sweet nose can fool you a bit as the taste proves to be much more complex than you might initially guess. The spiciness of cinnamon instead turns out to be a brief peppery burst. The only candy that comes to mind in tasting is a bit of licorice.
Finish:A very smooth bourbon - lush and silky. The light burn and spicy notes fade quickly leaving behind a very enjoyable, but not easily pin-pointed finish. It's like the last notes you have after eating a piece of freshly baked warm bread. This is the only point for me where the sweetness in taste makes itself known in a very understated way.
Overall:This is an excellent bourbon. I'd recommend it across the board, both to those new to bourbons and those who know their way around the rickhouse. Value? This one is worth the money I paid and better than a number of more expensive premiums.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1361, Created:20081122142518) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA - Spring of 08
Purchased for:$34
Info on this bottle:Russell's Reserve - 10 Year - 90 Proof
Nose:Initially I experienced a bourbon with more of a Euro style, not typical of American whiskey, somewhat cognac-like in design. A lighter style with not much of a nose to speak of, although balanced with some vanilla and oak. Simplistic, a tad salty. Now the wood has diminished over time lending to a slight char and more complexity.
Taste:Smooth, silky, interesting, and long. A bit chewy at this point with subtle honey tones and butterscotch. Oak. A medium-light viscosity and firm burn.
Finish:Not big on finish, but satisfying. This bourbon would be suited more as an Aperitif, before a meal.
Overall:3-Stars. BB

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 336, Created:20060127144042, Updated:20060127173714)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$28.99
Nose:A very nice nose with lots of vanilla, oak, and creamy brown sugar highlights. The rye warmth seems slightly subdued by the corn for a Wild Turkey product, although there are the characteristic whiffs of leather. A passing and pleasant skosh of clover mixed with some medicinal champhor comes out of hiding after a while.
Taste:A lot of up front corn and vanilla sweetness that gives way to the spicy pepper mid palate. Very nicely balanced attack that fades as it approaches the back of the mouth.
Finish:The finish is moderately long and quite smooth. As expected with a 90 proofer, the alcohol sings only a short solo as it goes down.
Overall:A first quality bourbon. My opinion is that Wild Turkey has produced a bourbon that complements their line of products and may fill a niche that they had not occupied before. To my taste, it is a bit sweeter and less spicy than their other products. I must admit to a WT bias, I think all their products are excellent, and this one is certainly no exception. It is definitely different from the previous incarnation of RR, and whether it is the equal, inferior, or superior, is for each bourbon lover to decide................but you must do it soon, soon, as WT RR 101 is a thing of the past now.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews