Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameBernheim Original
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeWhiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 46086
Bottling Info<From the bottle>

Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey uses soft winter wheat in its recipe to deliver a smooth, sweet taste. This one-of-a-kind whiskey is hand-crafted according to the traditions that our Master-Distillers have been practicing for seven generations. Discover the unique pleasure of Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2320, Created:20150113225728)
Purchased at:Binny's Chicago south loop
Purchased for:$30
Nose:Fairly weak with some vanilla, mint, and a little bit of caramel (maybe even chocolate? Hard to tell). Maybe some leather in there too. A little bite from the alcohol.
Taste:A lot of initial sweetness, I'd even say sugary, like rum (but easier to swallow). Some wood and corn, alcohol burn is definitely there but not too strong, it just adds a bit of bitterness.
Finish:Wood and corn, a bit of vanilla lingers but very weakly. The finish is very short with a small amount of burn. Pretty smooth though.
Overall:I'm glad I tried it, but wouldn't buy it again at this price. It sips pretty well but definitely lacks complexity. Overall it's one of the smoother whiskeys I've had. I wouldn't say the sweetness is overwhelming but it definitely needs something to balance out; for a good wheater I'll be sticking to Larceny from now on.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from KettleOne (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2114, Created:20120905183031, Updated:20120905183324)
Purchased at:NC ABC Store, Durham, NC
Purchased for:39
Nose:This bourbon has a bit of bite to the nose. I sense a very strong ethanol bite; however, the smell isn't unpleasant at all. I smell corn and vanilla in the front and a slight hint of candy corns.
Taste:Like an habanero, this bourbon has a lot of burn (for its proof) but not without reward ... flavor. Full body flavor that reminds me of some ryes I've drank recently. I shouldn't say that the profile is similar to a rye but to my alcohol addled brain it is! I get the earthiness and a hint of mint as I roll it around on my tongue. Beautiful taste - especially the sweetness lingering there that rye typically doesn't have so much of.
Finish:The finish has some burn on the swallow but it is long lasting and deep. I pick up wood and char flavors that are terrific. Balanced. Not an EC 18 mess that tastes like ash, but balanced by the wheat in my opinion.
Overall:Lately, I've been lucky. I've bought three great bourbons in a row. All taste different but are unique and readily available at my ABC. All are from Beam, which is no surprise to me. Evan Williams Single Barrel and this one. The third is Larceny, which I liked aplenty, but nowhere near those other two. That is funny to me since Wild Turkey is consistently my favorite. Perhaps my tastes are changing. I like this bourbon because it is different and the flavors very diverse. I will buy it again (and the bottle is the perfect shape to hide in my tool cabinet in the garage - in the event I need fortification during the weekend).

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1680, Created:20090911162148) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:A bit of the aroma of a commercial bakery (this should raise red flags because I have been looking for wheat residues in whiskey, and, lo and behold it appears.........can Mike's brain be running his nose?............nah, couldn't be, helios, in his review found it too). The nose also has some light leather, vanilla, and wood.
Taste:Soft and easy, light sweetness, even lighter spice, the taste glides almost too easily over the palate. Like a light cracker that has some late acting spice on it (mostly from the alcohol. Not bad, not bad, better than I remember, especially if you think of it as a delicate whiskcy.
Finish:Longer, by rights, than it ought to be. Soft sweet residue sticks and there is a real finish.
Overall:Not robust, not complex, not aggressive, but certainly more deserving of affection than my first review suggested. An easy sipping high quality whiskey

Review from helios (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1675, Created:20090907132329) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Wine Source, Baltimore Maryland
Purchased for:$38
Nose:The wheat is there, everywhere, not a punch in the nose, but a waft, like freshly baked bread--the nose is correct, it tells you what is coming. A good nose, it says hello.
Taste:This whiskey rolls around and continues the nose signals--it is a different whiskey. Not over sweet, a tinge of mint. The one word I keep thinking of is...cool. No burn, no singe.
Finish:Dry, no fumes. The finish is just that--that drop is done, now, let's have another.
Overall:A unique whiskey--I recommend trying a bottle--it's not over priced. This whiskey communicates what it is--a wheater, and proud of being different.

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1508, Created:20090305045643)
Purchased at:VA ABC
Purchased for:25.99
Info on this bottle:standard
Nose:I normally use a standard old fashioned decanter set glass to drink my whiskey and with this glass I got nothing. Inside of a snifter I was able to pick up wheat and vanilla both very faint and with me burying my nose in.

After about 15 minuates in the glass they get stronger but still weak
Taste:sweetness with a hint of floral and what turns into what i think is almost a touch of raspberry
Finish:short, soft sweetness I would say smooth but what I have had that I would call smooth was different very hard to put a finger on not bad just different
Overall:Overall this was a new experience for me as I think this may have been my first wheat whiskey. I went to the ABC store thinking I was going to get something new so when i saw this I looked up the reviews on it here on my phone and thought i was getting a deal at $25. I would say that is about what its worth. Good but will not go on the top shelf.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 968, Created:20080108195037)
Purchased at:ebay
Purchased for:$45
Nose:There is a lot of light aromas going on here. More fruit and vanilla than anything else. There is a little, brown sugar, caramel, citrus, floral, fruits, green tea, honey and on and on... almost seems like it does not know what it wants to be...

Taste:fruit and floral and butter rum????? Almost like a lifesaver

Finish:very light... very very light.. almost a non existent burn... and short... It really leaves me wanting more....
Overall:I purchased this with the belief that it may give the Weller Centennial a run for its money, but this is almost breakfast bourbon...

Might have to keep it for my soft bellied scotch friends that think most of my bourbons are to "robust" ....

Now I think I will try another glass of the Thomas Handy :o) that should be a nice contrast

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 774, Created:20070529073119)
Purchased at:rite aid
Purchased for:39.00
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Very light with vanilla sweetness and oak. hints of allspice and banana/ fuji apple.
Taste:Very light just like the nose. Don't need to think too much about it with the same smells coming through in the flavor with a smooth easy burn. Nothing at all displeasing in this, but nothing memorable either. If you like an easy, mild, smooth wheater this will be in your top 5. If you like a great deluge of flavor and that same smooth wheater burn, I suggest W. L. Weller family.
Finish:I find this wheat whiskey very balanced as light nose, light flavor, and light burn, with a very quick finish that demands another sip. It is exactly what it is, a stellar pure-bred wheat on the easy drinking side.
Overall:Drink it straight up to appreciate the delicate flavors. If you can find this beautiful bottle ( only 12 states) buy it.

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 454, Created:20060420192625)
Purchased at:Gift
Purchased for:40.00
Nose:Sweet caramel nose, light amount of vanilla.
Taste:This a good smooth wheater. I often think "smooth" is the most overrated characteristic about whisky in general but his is nice. The wheat is prominent but not course like other wheaters.

There's a certain leather taste that's subtle.
Finish:Absolutely no burn on this one. A slight tinge of warmth...kinda like a Jameson finish (don't get mad, it's just a comparison). A very nice finish with a light to medium body.
Overall:I like this whiskey a lot. It's my impression that it's not a bourbon but a wheat whiskey. I think it's great...and honestly...it reminds me a bit of the Rowan's Creek/Pure Kentucky family in the finish. I recommend this for newbies and experienced drinkers alike.

Review from BourbonSteve (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 445, Created:20060411190836)
Purchased at:Whitlock package, Marietta, GA
Purchased for:$40
Nose:A light nose with hints of mint, wood, a little vanilla............very nice.
Taste:Easy on the palate ! A wonderful balanced bourbon with very little burn; very smooth due to the winter wheat; very subtle.
Finish:A bit short on the finish with no afterburn, maybe a touch dry.
Overall:This is a nice soft bourbon, great if one is starting out in the business of drinking bourbon. Not too complex, very smooth, nothing bad about it but likely not going to be in anyone's top 5.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 358, Created:20060302171750, Updated:20060302171815)
Purchased at:LeNell's via a trade
Purchased for:$39
Nose:Fruity esters fading to wheat. Wildflowers and honey. Hints of banana and apple.
Taste:Full bodied, sweet and sharp at the same time. Huge wheat flavor. Mint and cotton candy. Initially sweet, followed quickly by sharpness and a mid-mouth burn, fading back to wheated sweetness.
Finish:Medium length with a biting sweetness.
Overall:Totally different and unexpected. You might prepare yourself for an extra wheaty Weller, but that is not at all what you get. The flavor is full of wheat to be sure, but it is totally different from anything else. This may not be for everyone, but it is very enjoyable and I guess part of the reason I like it is the uniqueness. Huge kudos to Heaven Hill for taking the risk and pulling it off.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 327, Created:20060103111756, Updated:20060117152951)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop
Purchased for:$39
Nose:A light nose with vanilla, brown sugar, corn, mint, with just a touch of wood. Very pleasant.
Taste:There is a good deal of soft sweetness that creeps quietly across the mouth. But, there is not a lot of complexity here. A slight alcohol burn makes itself apparent in the back part of the mouth.........because there is nothing of equal weight to offset it.
Finish:The finish is short, dying very quickly even before the liquid gets to the back of the mouth.
Overall:Not my cup of tea.... er, ah, I mean bourbon. I would describe it as bourbon lite. I prefer something with a bit more depth and assertive flavor.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews