Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameWilliam Larue Weller 2005 Release
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content121.95 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 21143
Bottling Info<from the bottle>

Born in 1825, William Larue Weller was one of the early distilling pioneers in Kentucky. After serving in the Louisville Brigade during the 1840's, William Larue Weller remained in Louisville and continued his family heritage of whiskey distilling. Mr. Weller was famous for being the first distiller to produce Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey using "wheat" instead of "rye" in the mash bill. As the most distinguished Distiller of his time, William Larue Weller spent many years educating consumers about the different styles of bourbon, and the special flavors that wheat imparted to his whiskey.

William Larue Weller also believed in the importance of aging his whiskey. To this day the firm of W.L. Weller and Sons sells no whiskey younger than seven years old. The combination of exceptionalaging and the use of wheat in the mash bill produce a whiskey with a very mature, rich, and exotic aroma. Its flavor has been described as full, evolving and sophisticated, with notes of vanilla, teaberry and cinnamon.

Like its namesake, this uncut and unfiltered "wheated" Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is strong, proud, and enduring. A tribute to the legacy of William Larue Weller!

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1634, Created:20090718013344)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:Farm Boy sent it
Nose:As good as the first one I had
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:This is just to verify that the 05 WLW is a crazy good bourbon. I have a few left thanks to some great bourbon folks... it is #1 of the WLW to me. 05, 08. 07, 06..... graet stuff

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1138, Created:20080614020133)
Purchased at:Greg Gilberts
Nose:Lots of burn on this. Vanilla and then there is this real odd rye nose. This is a wheatear, with rye scents... I am so confused
Taste:Vanilla, caramel, oak and pine. Like sweet pine tree during pollen season. There is a burn, but not too bad
Finish:The finish jumps to this odd rye hit again with a burn and vanilla. About 30 seconds in the oak stands up... but what is with this rye?
Overall:This bottle came from Illinois Farm Boy (SB.com) like the one I have on my shelf now. This is not like the one I got in Orlando and the ABC store. It is just not as good. I know they are all suppose to be the same, but they are not! just like the Hirsch, something is amiss

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 903, Created:20071114204208)
Purchased at:ABC, Orlando,
Purchased for:~$40
Info on this bottle:The last of this bottle :(
Proof Of this Bottle:121.9
Nose:Rocks:
Maple first, and a little vanilla. Then as the ice melts a little I get a butterscotch sent with a very light touch of licorice
Taste:Butterscotch on the front to a strong alcohol taste leading into soft leather.

Less complex that I remember. There is a little fruit (plum?) on the front that can be detected after a couple of tastes and maybe just a tinge of oak.
Finish:0-15 seconds the strength drops and
15-30 seconds a nice butterscotch sensations is there with a nice little tickle around the tongue
30-45 seconds the butterscotch has dissipated and I am left with light vanilla
45-60 seconds the finish is all but gone... not the longevity that I expected
Overall:When I first purchased this bottle 2-3 months ago I had never had anything like it. Instantly my favorite for the full taste and evenness around my mouth. I have tasted probably 20 bourbons since and now that I have come back - the memories are better than the product, but not by much.

I think this now slides below the Wild Turkey 1855 on my favorite list. I have a bottle on the 2006 that I will open tomorrow to compare

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 515, Created:20060530140916, Updated:20060530174344)
Purchased at:Chuck's Liquor Outlet, Bowling Green, KY
Purchased for:$69.99
Nose:Brown sugar, vanilla, nuts, leather, corn, mint cinnamon, and allspice all waft out of the glass in a complex mix. I expected more of an alcohol vapor attack but it didn't materialize.
Taste:Not for the timid. The alcohol makes every attempt to control here but is tamed somewhat by the time it reaches the middle of the mouth by the rich flavors promised in the nose.
Finish:The finish seems very short and is quite delayed, only appearing moments after the last sip when some spice grows at the back of the mouth..........along with the alcohol as it reaches the gullet.
Overall:By calling this bourbon an unusual guest, MikeK hit the nail on the head in his review. For the money, I cannot recommend this bourbon. The finish is not quite satisfactory in my judgement and although it has many good qualities, it won't go on my top shelf! I think this bourbon will be a prime candidate for vatting where its strengths can be used.........hmmm, I will have to experiment.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 335, Created:20060126032821)
Purchased at:Atlas Liquors, Medford MA
Purchased for:42.99
Nose:Honeyed caramel, brown sugar, cinnamon.
Taste:Warm and sweet, progressing into a solid burn which moves from front to back. Syrupy sweet and luscious, with a rich mouth feel. Butterscotch / burnt caramel.
Finish:Sweet fading to dry. Short to medium in length.
Overall:

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 319, Created:20051222155758)
Purchased at:Party Mart on Brownsboro Road
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liquor store
Nose:Dark fruits - ripe black cherries and apples, with rich caramel and oak. Behind the oak I find some fine leather and a hint of chocolate.
Taste:Very smooth even at the high proof. Oak tannins hit you first and then the dark fruits and caramel come on strong. As it is going down the throat there is a little chocolate and buttered pecans. A little heat from the alcohol finally comes through as a warmth in the throat.
Finish:Clean and sweet with caramel and fruit and suprisingly very little oak tannins but a little pleasant smokiness. It does not last a long time but when it does leave you really are ready to do it all over again.
Overall:This is a very nice bourbon to drink neat after dinner with a desert or late in the evening with a good smoke.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews