Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameEvan Williams 15
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content101 Proof
Availability US: Not Available Japan: Available Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age15
Views (since 20080612) 11819
Bottling Info

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1229, Created:20080808204841)
Purchased at:Gift from ACD
Nose:Pepper, vanilla and oak ,little alcohol???as the alcohol burns off the vanilla increases and improves. A richer nose shows itself.
Taste:Smooth and vanilla??? light leather and some light oak??? Much different than the last EW15 I had???. Two dominate taste really, alcohol/phenol alcohol and shifting vanilla extract.
Finish:Very dry. Vanilla extract and alcohol.. but the vanilla is around a long time.
Overall:THis is better than teh last, but very little complexity. The longer it is open the more oak I get, but the off dry vanilla extract continues to dominate.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1193, Created:20080707234457)
Purchased at:Gift from BJG - Japan
Nose:Lacking a little??? very light. Almost muted???. Very strange???

You can slowly pull the vanilla out over time??? but this liquid will not give up much??? the ghost is hidden for sure.
Taste:Strong, unrefined leather, oak and astringent???. Over time I get some maple and vanilla extract??? but the oak is still dominant.
Finish:Oak, leather and earth. Very rough taste to it. Vanilla extract, maple with wood???. Like sucking on some maple bark. The maple and vanilla are there, just not the sweet.
Overall:I am going to guess that this bottle is not like the one the TN had. This is no where near a smooth as his??? There are lots of similarities to the 23 yr???. but less sophistication. Very raw and untamed???

Very glad I got some, but I will not be buying a bottle of this version???.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonguyjapan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1116, Created:20080610073109)
Purchased at:on-line
Purchased for:35.00+ shipping
Info on this bottle:Standard, Whiskey written in Japanese
Nose:Vanilla, and strong alcohol.
Taste:Mellow, smooth and a bit of a bite- not that it's a bad thing.
Not harsh, but just a slight tap to the nuts to let you know who's boss. Not as good as the 23 but much better than the standard expressions of EW. Better than the Single Barrel 1997.
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]
Slow, and smooth. Then. Suddenly a kick to your gibbs!
A lasting a crawling finish, that dissipates into a tongue smacking departure.
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]
While the 23 year old expression is not too rare or exotic for me, it is cost prohibitive. This 15 year offering is not bad at 35 dollars. An interesting bourbon. Is it worth $35? Maybe. Intriguing is a good word for this one.
While I disagree that this is a substitute for the 23, I agree that it is an overall good bourbon.

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 226, Created:20050725183730, Updated:20050725184040)
Purchased at:Japan (trade with Japanese friend)
Purchased for:1 bottle of Stagg
Info on this bottle:Rather plain, burgundy-ish label, noting bottling details; reverse label in Japanese 'kanji'
Proof Of this Bottle:101
Nose:Rich vanilla, covering brown-sugar caramel. Not exactly an olfactory assault, but certainly a covering blanket. The slightest orangish sense far underneath.
Taste:Want to know what it takes to subdue Heaven Hill's trademark mint/menthol? Time. This 15yo still has it, but it is smooooothed out over the entire surface of this pour instead of being a singular sensation. It tames the rye spiciness while still allowing it to burn through. It sweetens the tannic leather while softening it into suede. It lassos the grassiness up into a bundle and makes hay!
Finish:Long and rib-sticking without being ponderous. This is a medium-bodied entry competing in a higher weight class.
Overall:If the Evan Williams 23yo is too dear for you, and you have access to the Japan market, this will do nicely as a substitute. Half-again as old as the popular Evan Williams Single Barrels, this is a natural extension of the line to full maturity. All the elements, no off notes. Very nice.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews