Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameGeorge T. Stagg 2002
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content137.6 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Views (since 20080612) 9479
Bottling Info-Bottle in picture is not an 02' bottling

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1528, Created:20090405115013)
Purchased at:KY
Purchased for:$100
Nose:Deep nose that has brown sugar, slight oak, cinnamon and vanilla all in perfect harmony.
Taste:Mmmmmmm wow??? brown sugar, vanilla and a good burn that makes me smile.

You know there is some power here, but it does not burn your mouth.
Finish:Some oak, then big vanilla and brown sugar. The burn is just right with this juice. Like a bottle of heaven.

After time the burn does pick up some, but nothing like expected
Overall:This stands alone in the world of great whiskey. Easy to see why it was #1 in 2002.

I think the 2003 has more complexity than the 2002, but I would love to have an extra bottle of this for the future....

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1025, Created:20080222235000)
Purchased at:ebay
Purchased for:7.00
Info on this bottle:Not the 2002, but I did not know where to put this. 1959 Stagg Straight Bourbon 7 yr
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:
Taste:
Finish:The finish comes and goes. Not very pleasing.. but god knows how this was stored.
Overall:

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Lovejones (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 715, Created:20070209182837)
Purchased at:Offered a drink at an antique store
Purchased for:0.00
Info on this bottle:Stagg 2002
Proof Of this Bottle:137.6
Nose:Litterally jumped at me. Very strong, but great.
Taste:Ahhh, the burn. I tried it straight...then added an ice cube. Then a drop of water. I never did cut it down to my taste. Needless to say it's very strong.
Finish:The dominant was Licorice. Since I hate Licorice, this ruined it for me. I really couldn't get past it.
Overall:I love smooth bourbons, and although I own a 2005 and 2006...this is the first Stagg I've ever had the opportunity to taste. I'm not sure I'll open my other Staggs. Hate to do it, but it's just too strong for me.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 113)
Purchased at:Party Mart on Brownsboro Road
Info on this bottle:The original 2002 bottling
Proof Of this Bottle:137.6
Nose:Creme Brule' sweetness with a hint of nutmeg and layers of oak.
Taste:Alcohol burn hits the palate hard. This product is actually better with a cube of ice or a little water. Tamed with a little water there is a maple sweet caramel taste with loads of oak ending with a tannic dryness. Some fruit flavors hide behind this first burst of flavor - ripe cherries or blackberries.
Finish:Dry oak and sweet toffe in the finish. It last long enough to appreciate, but does not overstay its welcome.
Overall:A very interesting bourbon with great flavors once it has been tamed a little. I have not tried this in an old fashioned yet, but I bet it will make the best old fashioned I have ever drank.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews