Bottling NameW L Weller Special Reserve
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age7
Views (since 20080612) 125484
Bottling InfoWine Enthusiast rating: 90

Replacing the rye grain in our recipe with wheat provides for an exceptionally smooth taste. And at 7 years of age and "Kentucky proof"??? 90 proof, W. L. Weller is a truly outstanding buy.

Best Buy - WINE Enthusiast Magazine

Photo Courtesy of greatbourbon.com Trade section

Review from AndyM (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2329, Created:20150207212054)
Purchased at:Binny's Chicago South Loop
Purchased for:$17
Info on this bottle:New no age statement bottle
Nose:Strong cherry, honey, and oak with a little vanilla. Over time it develops some maple aroma like Weller Antique, but not as pronounced. It's got a little ethanol bite.
Taste:Very sweet at first; caramel and vanilla which turns into cinnamon spice. Pretty smooth.
Finish:Smoky and woody, some cherry. Burns on the tongue for quite a bit, but not unpleasant. Very warming.
Overall:Somewhat similar to the Antique but the flavors aren't as pronounced and it's not as dry. Overall it's a pretty good sipper, smooth and sweet like I've come to expect from a wheater. It's good for the price, not a favorite of mine but I might grab another bottle somewhere down the road.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1920, Created:20110131101731, Updated:20110409121302)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn on Hurstborne, Louisville
Purchased for:12.99/750ml Cheap!
Info on this bottle:7y/o
Nose:Slightly sweet, carmel, vanilla, and oak
Taste:Great bourbon flavor, not as sweet as I thought it would be. A bit of carmel and vanilla.
Finish:Smooth and easy. Its light and thin on the palate, and fades quickly.
Overall:An uncomplicated easy drinker thats fine on the rocks or in coke. Fine bargain. Similar to Makers, and Old Forrester. It may not make a big impression, but it won't offend anyone either.

Up date: Got a second bottle and am more fond of this stuff than before. A great summer bourbon. Really like the price.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from themark31 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1885, Created:20101113214916)
Purchased at:Acworth, GA
Nose:Sweet smell, strong apple scents.
Taste:Tastes like a wheated bourbon with vanilla and oak accents. Fairly mellow, particularly with a little ice or water.
Finish:Finish is one of the strengths of this bourbon. A nice, smooth semi-fruity aftertaste that fades slowly away.
Overall:Smooth, mellow bourbon like most of the wheated varieties. Though I don't think this is quite as refined as something like Maker's, it's a good alternative, particularly for the price.

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1716, Created:20091006141825)
Purchased at:Idaho State Liquor Dispensary
Purchased for:18.95
Nose:Some alcohol, Honey, caramel, and spice notes.
Taste:Enters the palate sweet, with caramel and honey notes, then turns spicy like cloves and cinnamon.
Finish:Some barrel char on the finish, and mildly peppery. Burn lasts about a minute, very pleasant, good for wheat bourbon.
Overall:I wish I would have tried this bourbon before I had the Old Weller Antique 107/7. That is really special juice, and I thought this didn't live up to that. Taken on its own, however it is a nicely balanced pour and has the softer wheat flavor and the peppery finish is nice.

Review from bradlikesbrew (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1674, Created:20090905140210, Updated:20090905140325)
Purchased at:Mile High Wine & Spirits - Lakewood, CO
Purchased for:$16.99
Nose:Light oak, honey, raisin, pecan.
Taste:Honey notes seem to show in all wheat Bourbons, this one is no different. Some caramel and oak, light spice. Nicely balanced.
Finish:Caramel and spice linger.
Overall:Good smoothness and complexity, especially considering the price. Like Makers, but a little more going on on the palate and a much lower price. Excellent value. A good introduction to Wheated Bourbons. Now I just need to find some 12yr...

Review from kystormwatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1478, Created:20090209204850)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn (12/2008)
Purchased for:$16
Info on this bottle:Std 750 ml bottle. Distilled - Frankfort, KY
Nose:A very pleasant nose. Caramel, vanilla, fresh apples and honey. Light oak.
Taste:Soft and buttery start gives way to a mild burn that is not long lasting. A bit of the char comes through, but not so much to be unpleasant. The corn seems to present a bit more than the wheat.
Finish:Length of finish is medium with initial tastes giving way to a bit of sweetness and then to buttered corn. Very nice.
Overall:One of the best bargains on the market. The WLW 12 y/o is one of my all time favorites but increasingly tough to find. This 7 y/o version is a nice alternative option. This would be a nice intro into the wheated bourbons for someone wanting to try one. It's not in your face. It's not going to knock your socks off. But if you want something smooth with lots of flavor, give this one a try.

Review from BourbonDave (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1411, Created:20090105202330, Updated:20090105203908)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY
Info on this bottle:Distilled in Frankfort, KY
Nose:A nice nose with caramel, a lot of maple, and vanilla. Light and sweet. Reminds me of cotton candy. Not the incredible smell of Makers, but delightful all the same.
Taste:By far one of the best bourbons to drink neat or even with a cola. I like it with Vanilla Coke. Has a nice viscosity and just a little oak and warmth. IMO it is a better wheater in taste than Makers.
Finish:The finish is sweet and crisp. Nothing at all to dislike. It lingers just the right amount to make you want more.
Overall:This is absolutely one of the best buys in the bourbon world. Not only is this a good everyday pour, but I've had friends that are snooty over small batch bourbons say, what's this? It's good!

I think it is aged longer than Makers and has a better taste when drank neat. While it is not a high class bourbon, I think it is worth a try.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1178, Created:20080629201408, Updated:20080629201930) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:BevMo' in Sacramento, California
Purchased for:$17 / 750ml bottle
Info on this bottle:Distilled in Frankfort, Kentucky
Nose:Butterscotch;vanillia, honey roasted pecans, candy corn, and sweet char. Very complex. No off notes, just a great big pleasent aroma. A lively nose that dances.

Color is a honey gold amber that sparkles in the glass as lively as the nose. Good viscosity that is nicely coating on the glass with oily sheeting action and sexy legs.
Taste:This is the fun part! Sweet and easy drinking! Don't strain your brain and think about this bourbon too much. A complex palate of well amalgamated candy tones that will spoil your appetite for anything other than more of this very fine bourbon.
Finish:A string quartete crescendo! Thick; Sweet, and Long. Bowed with passion. Applause. Standing ovation. Encore. Another reprise.
Overall:ima damn well(er) impressed. Don't miss this magic elixir of the good life, and you don't even have to be rich to enjoy it! Far better than Maker's Mark at half the price, and nearly twice as old. Maker's is good, but Weller is better. Wheat for my Sweet. Highly Reccomended.

The 'Pure Glass' was used for this review.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1145, Created:20080614190229)
Purchased at:JDKnaebel
Purchased for:Gift
Info on this bottle:200ml from 1988
Nose:Honey and caramel with a little oak wood and ripe apples. Hiding in the background is a little pecan and fine leather.
Taste:Apples and caramel with some pecans and vanilla. Very well balanced with just a hint of oak wood tannins. Nice mouth feel with no burn. Very smooth and flavorfull.
Finish:Moderate length with caramel leeding into a dry oak finish. A very good sip of bourbon. Would go well with a piece of chocolate or a light bodied cigar.
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 921, Created:20071125201432)
Purchased at:Rum Runner, Tucson AZ
Purchased for:$15
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Neat:
Pecans, honey, nice nose that with time, vanilla, oak, caramel, some light citrus and ..... definitely a lot going on here that leans to the sweet for everything mentioned above
Taste:Neat:
Very light and crisp... light tastes of oak, pecans, and vanilla
Finish:Neat:
0-15 seconds light vanilla, pecans, and honey.
15-30 seconds the same just lighter
30-45 seconds fading of the above
Overall:For ~$15, this is a good anytime with any crowd drink. Affordable enough to share at a party and good enough not to be embarrassed that your drinking cheap swill..

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 787, Created:20070611063227)
Purchased at:Liqour barn, Lexington, KY
Info on this bottle:1.75L
Nose: Super Sweet corn and fresh cut logs up front with spiced apples and vanilla on a back note.
Taste:The pleasant sweet, spicey oak/wheat and corn are predominant here as is always with the WLW line. Vanilla and custard come in to play mid-palate only to exit with the sweet spicey oak and wheat holding on to the finish.
Finish:Smooth and sweet with little burn that ends fairly quickly. Kind of like an "Antique" light if there were such an animal.
Overall:An excellent regular pour. As far as light wheaters go though, I still prefer my last bottle of Makers Mark (same smoothness and sweetness, with a hint less spicey oak and more vanilla) . The "Best" you can buy for a regular BOURBON mixer with coke or ginger ale.

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 718, Created:20070218162926) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Binny's in Chicago, Lakeview
Purchased for:~$17
Info on this bottle:From a single barrel selected by Binny's Beverage Depot
Nose:Green apple and sawdust. Pleasant enough.
Taste:Crisp and mild. Slightly fruity w/ a nice touch of sweetness.
Finish:Somewhat short but nice and smooth w/ lingering bits of barrel char and leather. Alcohol burn is notably subdued.
Overall:What it lacks in complexity it makes up for in simple drinkability. Though my notes above might seem otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed this bourbon. It serves as sort of middle ground between the 12-year and 107-proof Antique. I'm looking forward to trying some other bottlings of this in the future for the price.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 694, Created:20070124132325, Updated:20070124132507) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Nose:A very nice nose consisting of the following aromas: vanilla, oak, raisins, citrus, caramel, maple syrup, and corn. The classic wheater nose that tends to the sweeter side of the aromatic spectrum.
Taste:Sweet corn and vanilla greet the upfront palate and then an unexpected touch of spice sets the mouth aglow. A nice balance is achieved twixt the sweetness, peppery spice, and citrus elements. Good bourbon!
Finish:A moderate to long finish which balances the elements nicely!
Overall:I was very pleasantly surprised by this 7 YO wheater. In my opinion, it is much superior to the 12 YO Weller that I have tried. It has better balance, better flavor, and a better finish (I know, cause I did a side by side). At its price point, it is a bargain!

Review from JoeBourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 598, Created:20061003162614)
Purchased at:Toddy's in Bardstown, Kentucky
Purchased for:????
Info on this bottle:Frankfort bottling
Nose:Upon first pouring in the glass it was green apples and freshly cut hay. After spending some time in the glass caramel and vanilla abounded.
Taste:Good balance. Caramel and vanilla followed through nicely. Very little alcohol burn.
Finish:A medium length finish with the caramel last to say goodbye.
Overall:A very good wheater. Like Weller Antique without the alcohol burn. I really like this bourbon.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 476, Created:20060426092904)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Caramel and apples, pecans and oak wood.
Taste:Apples and vanilla with some oak - a bit thin, but nice.
Finish:Short and sweet with caramel that fades quickly.
Overall:O K neat but would be better in an old fashioned.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 128)
Purchased at:estate sale
Info on this bottle:Stitzel-Weller wheat recipe bourbon bottled for William R. Ward ca. 1970
Nose:Honey and pecans with a hint of vanilla. In the background somewhere a little corn still makes its presence known.
Taste:Oily in a pleasant way as some corn flavors start this bourbon of leading into sweet toffee and pecans. Very smooth with only a little warmth in the mouth to remind you there is alcohol in this drink.
Finish:Very clean and dry. There is a little sweetness followed by some nice oak tones that linger for a few minutes and then fade.
Overall:This is an excellent example of Stitzel-Weller wheat recipe bourbon. This is the product that really makes the wheated bourbons stand out.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews