Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameEvan Williams 1783
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 79025
Bottling InfoImage courtesy of the Evan Williams website

Review from catbirdman (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2279, Created:20131109170735)
Purchased at:Louisville
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:Small Batch
Nose:As I read in another review, "it's what bourbon is supposed to smell like."
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression]
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]
Overall:If you like Very Old Barton, and I do, you will like this just a little bit better. A very good bourbon for the buck.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from DrBob (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2231, Created:20130814104337, Updated:20130814104540) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Detroit
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:NAS
Nose:Rich Vanilla, a hint of ginger, sweet corn
Taste:Sweet Vanilla and toffee, mid tongue the rye spice hits, after adding a small ice cube, a little charred wood comes in
Finish:medium finish dominated by a vanilla coat on the tongue, slight lasting rye tingle, ice adds a hint of burnt toffee, long rye tingle
Overall:Bought this on a 2 week road trip, carried it through 10 states and used it for my evening sip of whiskey. Found it to be quite serviceable and enjoyable. Not overly complicated but enjoyable and tasty. A solid value buy and a great deal at $15.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from jneyer05 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2229, Created:20130811213613, Updated:20130812175757)
Purchased at:Heaven Hill Distillery
Info on this bottle:Small Batch
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Fairly straightforward. Vanilla and fruits.
Taste:Cinnamon, nutty.
Finish:Lingering spicy and caramel finish.
Overall:I bought this bottle on the bourbon trail as a set with the Evan Williams Vintage Single Barrel. This bottle I believe was going for $20. I am happily surprised at this bottle after drinking it neat. Sweet fruitiness to smell, spicy nuts in taste and a long lasting caramel finish. Not one of my top 5 bottles but I really enjoy the robust flavors involved. I will have to buy another bottle once done with this one. I am excited to try the single barrel version of this once done.

Review from uncas67 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1924, Created:20110209204149) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:The Warehouse Package store - Valdosta, GA
Purchased for:$13
Info on this bottle:Standard Label = Number 10 (10 Years old)
Nose:Medicine, Chemical, citrus
Taste:sugar, caramel, vanilla, citrus/mint, alcohol. Sugar up front moving to burnt sugar/caramel with citrus/mint and then alcohol. Big flavors without any upfront heat. If you've had the Evan Williams Black Label and thought it was a bit thin in body, this is similar in style but slightly bigger. I like the bite in the Black label, this is much, much smoother.
Finish:Nice finish, long but light: sugar, mint/citrus. nice amount of alcohol but not hot at all. I can see why other reviewers have said the citrus is orange in flavor.
Overall:Incredibly smooth, I've been looking for an inexpensive, everyday, sipping bourbon other than Jack and Jim, both of which I think taste mass-produced and corporate. If you like sour, go with Jim, if you like caramel, try the Evan Williams line instead of Jack (IMHO). This 1783 is fantastic for the price, makes me wonder why it's so cheap. Very sweet up front and incredibly smooth--you could almost gulp it! Ice or water would make it too thin in my view. I can't imagine mixing it with anything. But I'm looking to drink my bourbon neat. Nose is a bit too chemical, but flavor is great. Could be a bit more complex, but for this price point. Wow. Seriously, you won't be disappointed at all, and it certainly stands up to Jack and Jim (blech).

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 900, Created:20071112182756)
Purchased at:Beverage House
Purchased for:$2.86
Info on this bottle:200 ml, EW79803
Nose:Neat:
Strong smell, light caramel. Muffled orange citrus smell to it.
Taste:Neat:
Quick burn, to a light caramel flavor.
Finish:Neat:
0-15 seconds there is a strong burn with little favor that can be identified
15-30 seconds the burn drops and the flavor of caramel sneaks out and orange citrus appears.
30-45 seconds there is some tingle left, but not much distinct flavor to speak of.
45-60 seconds the finish is gone and it is time for another drink.
Overall:For the price, excellent bourbon. Great cost value. On a one to one scale the Single barrel 1997 is the better.

I can see a bottle of this on the shelf replacing my JD Black.

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 826, Created:20070828181846)
Purchased at:Binny's in Chicago, Lakeview
Purchased for:$10.99
Nose:Very strongly aromatic, noticeable immediately upon opening the bottle. Very much dominated by a tart apple smell at first but that wanes into oak, rye, plaster and leather.
Taste:Very mild up front, a bunch of caramel and cherry, complimented by a very pleasant coconut overtone.
Finish:Pleasantly oaky w/ a lingering bit of leather. Very short but not really in a way that detracts from the overall presentation since it is such a mild whiskey by nature.
Overall:Excellent. Doesn't taste like a budget bourbon at all. I'd love to try this at ninety or a hundred proof sometime. Definitely, I've got my eye on some other Evan Williams bottling.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 756, Created:20070428152056, Updated:20070429052230)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:$11 can you believe it dollars
Nose:It is all here, only requiring a bit of patience. A hint of nuts, a little rye, a little citrus, some wood, some char, a touch of mint, and our little act is together. Glass to mouth now, please!
Taste:A soft entry with some corn sweetness. Rye and spice move in tandem, but to a quiet tune. Not exciting, but very respectable!
Finish:A moderate finish with all the components still playing their part.
Overall:For $11 dollars, no one could possibly complain about this bourbon. I would classify it as a 'soft' bourbon. While it is not complex, I would prefer not to use the word 'simple' to describe it, because it has a very respectable taste and touches all the bourbon bases in my opinion.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 386, Created:20060315170911)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Corn and spice - ginger and a little vanilla and yeast.
Taste:Caramel and spice - ginger and cinnamon with a little oak wood.
Finish:Long and sweet with lots of caramel.
Overall:A good bourbon to have with chocolate.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 328, Created:20060103113342)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop
Purchased for:$11
Info on this bottle:10 Years Old
Nose:A very good nose with vanilla, rye, mint, leather, carmel, oak. The nose has presence and seems rich, heavy, and viscous. To me it has the classic bourbon aroma that is so enticing.
Taste:The taste is as good as the nose. There are no harsh or wayward elements to detract from the drinking enjoyment. The corn sweetness, moderated by the rye, glides across the mouth with precision, giving way to a peppery zest toward the middle of the mouth.
Finish:Although the finish is not long, the mouth is pleasantly refreshed for a few moments and the alcohol doesn't seem to make it to the back of the throat and into the gullet.
Overall:A very pleasant surprise in an $11 bourbon. If you think you have to spend big bucks to get a very good bourbon, think again! I would love to throw this baby into some blind tastings.........might come out very high. I salute Heaven Hill for this product!

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 129)
Purchased at:Bowling Green, KY
Purchased for:$11
Nose:Subtle caramel, with hints of linseed oil on leather (think of breaking in a new baseball glove). The empty glass offers the scent of a hayfield mown yesterday -- herbal, but drying.
Taste:Very mild, caramel-sweet entry, with the alcohol becoming the first very prominent sensation about mid-palate, but in an unobtrusive way, coating the mouth with refreshing mintiness. The leather displays itself again just before swallowing, but stops short of acidic bitterness, balancing by contrast the initial sweetness.
Finish:Short to medium, with almost no alcohol burn, having spent itself at mid-palate.
Overall:I think of this bottling as Evan Williams Single Barrel Jr. If you could strip the veneer off the premium bottling, this is what you'd have taken away. It shares many of the EWSB attributes, but without the depth. Nonetheless, it is a very pleasant bourbon, and a fine value for the ultra-low price.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews