Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameAncient Age
Bottled ByAncient Age Distilling Co. Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: No Longer Available
Mashbill InfoBT high rye
Views (since 20080612) 52111
Bottling Info(From the "GreatBourbon" website)

You've known us a long time, and you could always count on us for quality. But even more than that, you've known us to make great bourbon. Well, we just got better. We???ve begun using a chill filtration system for our bourbon, which improves our color, flavor, and all around taste experience.

We've always taken great pride in what we put in our bottles. Now even more so.

Photo courtesy trade section of GreatBourbon.com

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2297, Created:20140328214529) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:LCBO Burlington,Ontario
Purchased for:$32.70 CDN
Info on this bottle:Ancient Age Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Nose:Vanilla,caramel,leather,fruit (apple)
Taste:Vanilla,corn sweetness,a little cinnamon spice...
Finish:Vanilla and caramel and then oak that lingers a while...
Overall:Solid...Not spectacular,but,solid...It would seem that this is a 3 year old whiskey as it says 36 months on the neck label...By the way,I don't know if it's worth the 32 bucks that I paid for it.I wonder what it costs on the other side of the border?

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1646, Created:20090812052157)
Purchased at:Virginia ABC
Purchased for:9.90
Info on this bottle:Standard
Nose:Sweet corn with cinnamon
Taste:Sweet and spicy, corn and almost a muted red hot candy flavor
Finish:medium length with the rye coming out well
pleasant nothing offensive
Overall:It is a simple bourbon and sometimes simple is good, pretty good for an 80 proof bourbon though. If this was offered in a higher proof it would be a regular pour in my house

A glencairn glass was used

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1473, Created:20090208204822)
Purchased at:Liquor Dan's
Purchased for:$2
Info on this bottle:200 ml from 1992
Nose:Very metallic. Lots of the bottom of the pots in this one. There is some citrus, light leather, but very muted behind the metal and citrus.
Taste:Little sweet corn with the metallic taste, that is not overwhelming. It is an 80 proof so not a lot of oomph here. More citrus and the leather is there.
Finish:Young corn is there with its sweetness and then at about 10 seconds the metallic kicks it.

The youth and the distillation are the things that stand out the most. This might actually be pretty good if it was 1-2 yrs older.
Overall:Not bad, but not real good either. At the $2 a 200 I got 10 of these for, it???s a fair price. I do not see breaking out these with the good china, but as a sit around and sip bourbon, its just fine.

Review from Smedley (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1397, Created:20081222234607, Updated:20090813103137)
Purchased at:Jane, MO walmart
Purchased for:under 10
Info on this bottle:Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Elastic Strap with a touch of new tennis ball
Taste:New Tennis Ball
Finish:Very short
Overall:Not much to it. I'll use this as a mixer.

Review from bourbonguyjapan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 991, Created:20080117031423)
Purchased at:Obu, Japan
Purchased for:1300
Info on this bottle:Standard
Nose:Cosmetic and gray clay. I swear to god.
Taste:Weak. Bourbon-lite.
Finish:Not good. Watery, then a weird after taste.
Mouth feel is not very good either.
Overall:Well one might say it's smooth. I wouldn't. I'd say it's incomplete and watery and leaves a lot to be desired. I mistakenly bought this over other "inexpensive" bourbons at the liquor store. John Hamilton was my first choice, but the label of Ancient Age seemed more appealing. My mistake.
This bourbon was less than Four Roses by about 100 yen.
On a positive note...it mixes okay with coke.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 362, Created:20060311063504)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Sweet corn and vanilla with cinnamon spice and oak.
Taste:Lots of corn with a hint of Vanilla and spice - nutmeg and ginger.
Finish:Dry oak and spice with a little vanilla sweetness.
Overall:Very nice bourbon neat or with a splash of water.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 361, Created:20060311063146)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Corn and yeast - raw cornbread dough
Taste:Corn and corn bread dough. Sweet with a small amount of pepper spice
Finish:Very spicy finish - pepper and cloves - that lingers for a long time.
Overall:A bourbon and coke bourbon - maybe a whiskey sour.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 183)
Purchased at:estate sale
Info on this bottle:1.75 liter bottle from the late 1980's or early 1990's
Nose:Sweet corn and vanilla with a little fine leather and pecan nut.
Taste:Sweet corn and vanilla up from with some cinnamon spice in the back of the mouth. A little citrus fruit comes in a quick burst just before you swallow, but then is overpowered by a strong finish.
Finish:Caramel and vanilla evolving to a nice dry oak finish that last a long time.
Overall:This is a very good bourbon but from out of state, so it does not have Kentucky proof (86 proof) which would make this bottle of bourbon even better. Even so, it does not have that watery thin taste most 80 proof products tend to have.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews