Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameElijah Craig
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content94 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Age12
Views (since 20080612) 162234
Bottling InfoBack in the 1700's a Baptist minister by that name actually invented the process of aging whiskey in charred oak barrels. Today, this super premium small batch bourbon remains one of the finest on the market.

Description: Perfume and clover honey fill the nose. This is deep and rich in structure. Well-integrated elements combine with a high alcohol feel. Still perfumed at the end. Best served neat.

Tasted under ideal conditions at the Beverage Testing Institute Inc., in Chicago

Score:86
Events for this bottling:

Review from Tgb903609 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2351, Created:20150913193855)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:30
Info on this bottle:Elijah Craig
Nose:toasted almonds, toffee, caramel, maple syrup, sweet corn, a slight touch of baking spice like cloves and cinnamon nutmeg, candied ginger only a touch of ethanol at the top of the nose.
Taste:round thicker body of molasses, front of the tongue get over ripe banana & baked granny smith apple - sweet but tingling bitter immediately following, on the sides of the tongue and cheek get the caramelized woody sucrose, back of the tongue gets slightly astringent wood and burnt brown sugar dry sweetness.
Finish:slightly astringent and bitter but has a nice medium body dry finish linger for longer than most others that tingles and invites another sip to refresh the initial sweetness of the nose and initial taste.
Overall:overall this is a fine price point for a very drinkable whiskey, the nose is deceptive because of how sweet it is but it is fairly strong at 94 proof one ice cube of good quality would help the after taste and finish mellow out slightly for something that I would give just below or above a 90/100 depending on how its imbibed.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from masterbuilder (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2340, Created:20150517011624, Updated:20150517011937)
Purchased at:PLCB Store (the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania)
Purchased for:$24.99 plus much tax
Info on this bottle:Stock labels front and back - Small Bathch 12 Years Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Nose:Very sweet. I nosed it in a snifter for about 10 minutes. Very inviting with the alcohol in the background.
Taste:Spicy and sharp. Sweet, in a strange way - that said, the sweetness doesn't carry to the taste. That said, I like this whiskey right from the start. Ethanol to be sure, but a lot of flavor.
Finish:Sides of the mouth. The finish goes on forever. Gives way to the top of the tongue. One of the best finishes in Bourbon. The tongue gives way to the whole mouth. Ethanol at the end.
Overall:If they never bottle another whiskey, Heaven Hill have done their work with this one. This is the best bargain in Bourbon - at least in Pennsylvania. A wonderful pour. Recommend.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from TeacherMan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2339, Created:20150511182644)
Purchased at:Beverage Superstore
Purchased for:22.99
Info on this bottle:12 year small batch
Nose:Seems like a toasted oak/charred oak. Very mild smell.
Taste:Definitely a caramel initial taste that seems to have some oak notes matched up with it. No burn on the initial taste which makes sipping this bourbon all the more enjoyable!
Finish:Solidly long finish to it. Almost a honey/butterscotch blend. Again, no burn anywhere through the sip. As for the spice, it seems like a cinnamon note that is very well mixed in to the sip.
Overall:Elijah Craig 12 year is one of my favorite bourbons! I love how well-balanced this bourbon is whether it is in an old-fashioned glass or in a glencairn. If I'm choosing the old fashion glass, I toss in three ice cubes, and the full effect of the bourbon is still present, which I love. The glencairn almost lightens the bourbon. That glass makes it all about the small sips which I enjoy at times, as well. This bottle did not last! I like this bourbon a lot more than Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace even though both of those are solid bourbons. This is a bourbon that I will get again and again.

Review from jneyer05 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2277, Created:20131103092352) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Party Source
Purchased for:25
Info on this bottle:Party Source Select Barrel. Non-chillfiltered
Nose:Typical vanilla and caramel tastes. Sweet fruit.
Taste:Floral and fruit sweetness (apples and slight cherries), warm cinnamon spice with oak in mid-pallet.
Finish:Smooth, medium long finish. Heavier caramel with slight pepper.
Overall:This is a very good bourbon for the price. Definitely let this air out a bit. It makes it taste much better. The more glasses poured the better it tastes. I have not tried the chill filtered version yet but I would think it would be lighter then this. Pick this one up to try it.

Review from DrBob (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2230, Created:20130814104002)
Purchased at:Total Wine
Purchased for:$25
Info on this bottle:Small Batch 12 years
Nose:Vanilla, toasted oak, hint of caramel, a little ice melted in gives a hint of citrus and whiff of coconut
Taste:Sweet upfront but overall rather dry, moving into a nice rye tingle, evident vanilla and caramel, brown sugar. Oak. Ice didn't change much.
Finish:rye spice, a hint of vanilla, medium long finish with lingering oak coating the tongue.
Overall:To my inexperienced palate this is a very good bourbon. Brisk and forward, not afraid to show its character. I like this when I have a taste for something bold,and is
great second pour when the first was of something a bit mild. This one will always be in my cabinet especially at that price point.

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2181, Created:20130413003048)
Purchased at:LCBO Stoney Creek,Ontario
Purchased for:$35.95 CDN
Info on this bottle:Elijah Craig...Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey...12 Years Old
Nose:Vanilla,brown sugar,definately oak...But all mingling together nicely...Nithing really overpowering...
Taste:The first thing I get is corn!!!...Some prickly spice...then a hint of sugary sweetness...Then the oak and the barrel char take over...
Finish:The finish is much dryer than the initial taste...And it is fairly lenghty...Still some corn sweetness but it is slightly muted and the oak and barrel char come to the front...The spiceyness hangs in there,as well...Undoubtedly,this is from the time in the barrel
Overall:For the price,this is a nice bourbon...Nothing spectacular but also nothing that would offend someone.It's very well constructed so the flavours mesh well with one another...Go for it!It's good stuff...

One thing...The cork on my bottle almost required the jaws of life to get off!!!

What's up with that?

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2179, Created:20130410174250) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Downtown LCBO
Purchased for:$35.95
Info on this bottle:Bought in Toronto
Nose:Light bourbon scents, very mild
Taste:Very pleasant, well-knitted, clean, on the light side
Finish:Quite pleasant decay, rounded bourbon flavours
Overall:I would give this an 8 out of 10. I found it very similar to Steinkalt's bottle, virtually the same except this one has no heat, it is very "smooth" for being almost bond proof. Solid, classy whiskey but not outstanding. I would prefer the same set of flavours in a heavier spirit. It may have to do with the relatively high distilling out and entering at Heaven Hill. But very nice and one improvement on the old D.S.P. 33 is, no greeny eucalyptus smell or taste and also no corn oil taste. Some EC 12's used to have that but this one is much cleaner.

Review from Steinkalt (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2149, Created:20130201134347, Updated:20130201134556)
Purchased at:VA ABC
Purchased for:24.95
Info on this bottle:12yo 750mil
Nose:Rich, Warm, nothing of note stood out, but very pleasant. I nosed periodically for 10 minutes before tasteing. There wasn't any change to speak of...... but I'm a little noobish
Taste:Spicy right away, not as sweet or thick as I would have expected from the viewing and nosing.
Finish:HOT! every sip left 5 seconds of a litte hot cloud at the back of the throat, not overpowering but a reminder that our fathers were more manly that us
Overall:Tasted at room temp, neat... One of the more flavorfull Bourbons I tried. That said, I couldn't tell you what that flavor was, everything blends well together.

I'm not certain if it is a flaw but I had several faint impressions of kerosene, which went away once I added a splash of water. I liked it enough I'd give it as a gift.

Review from karloff (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2131, Created:20121126064539)
Purchased at:Newcastle
Purchased for:35 pounds
Info on this bottle:Birthday Present
Nose:A strong woody nose to it, something like rich oak.
Taste:Caramel and vanilla compliment the wood.
Finish:A dry medium finish
Overall:Another great bourbon and i would like to try other expressions of this brand

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2067, Created:20120421161913)
Purchased at:Layton, UT
Purchased for:$22 750ml
Nose:Nice golden amber color.

Very nice vanilla note, caramel, a nice oaky scent, spicy, with some mint.
Taste:Slightly sweet, very dry, very nice oak note, some caramel, slightly spicy, with a hint of.
Finish:A very nice long finish, with a slight sweetness, pretty dry. Very smooth, and rich.
Overall:For the price it can't be beat, awesome deal. Cool looking bottle. This one is definitely a keeper, top notch stuff. Worth checking out.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1854, Created:20100706194920, Updated:20100706200246)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Oops
Nose:
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:

Review from Crankypants (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1847, Created:20100617085917)
Purchased at:LiquorLand
Purchased for:AU$49.95
Info on this bottle:EW15974
Nose:Toffee and butterscotch. Vanilla, oak and raisins. Very reminiscent of a good Cognac or brandy. Leathery tones seem to be hidden between the notes.
Taste:Citrus, honey and spices, almost like a spiced marmalade. Caramel corn as a secondary flavour.
Finish:Mouth feels a bit oily and there's a slight minty and gingery burn while still being very smooth.
Overall:As my first spirit above 80 proof I was expecting more of a burn on my newbie palate. A very rewarding and very drinkable bourbon. I suspect I'd experience more with a wider bourbon education.

Review from WhiskeyJim (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1843, Created:20100611174042)
Purchased at:Total Wine & More - Claymont, DE
Purchased for:22.99
Info on this bottle:Standard
Nose:Strong alcohol scent over a nutty, oak nose. Sweetness reveals itself after adding a dash of water.
Taste:Sweet citrus, like orange marmalade, and plenty of oak flavor
Finish:Coats your mouth with a bit of oiliness. Quick, fading finish with more hints of marmalade.
Overall:A great bourbon for the price, especially if you like the woody flavors of longer-aged whiskeys. A very nice looking bottle to have on the shelf too. Read my full review of this bourbon at: http://whiskeyrambler.blogspot.com/2010/06/oh-taste-see-elijah-craig-12-yo-ky.html

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1782, Created:20091225182521, Updated:20091225182720)
Purchased at:
Nose:Brunt brown sugar, oak and char - together, leather, rye, caramel/vanilla/tobacco/nutmeg - rolled into one, all of these make for an excellent and somewhat special nose that I like a lot.
Taste:Seductively subdued sweetness that only makes it appearance well back into the mouth...........sweetness only teases the front of the mouth, it does not engage it as many bourbons do. The mid-palate sweetness is a middle weight, not really thick. But it still retains a punch that carries through to the back of the mouth. It contains some vanilla, a touch of oak, and a bit of moderating and rounding nutmeg, which, with its lean spicy bite, makes for a very interesting and challenging sip.
Finish:Like the rest of EC 12, moderate.
Overall:I cannot call it great (it is not deep, nor is it particularly subtle), but I sure can call it very good bourbon.........one that is worth what it costs.

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1698, Created:20090922112338)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:$18
Nose:Whiffs of alcohol, cloves, old leather and wood.
Taste:Hits the tongue with a lot of woody notes with a solid undertone of old leather. As it swirls on the palate I pick up flavors of honey and tobacco.
Finish:Very deep and solid. This is a very well balanced pour. Good burn that lasts about a minute.
Overall:This is an extremely well balanced and heavy bourbon. You can definitely taste the wood and barrel char. The 12 years of aging gives it a good balance and smooth finish. Very mature taste.

Review from Chipblood (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1651, Created:20090814131143)
Purchased at:Spec's Liquor
Purchased for:18.00
Info on this bottle:EC-12YO 750ml
Nose:Alcohol, spices, oak...
Taste:Alcohol is strong in the flavor with a medium rye presence, giving way to spices, buttery sweet tones and finally chocolate...
Finish:Butter and chocolate...Warm rye and pepper...
Overall:This bourbon goes great with chocolate and other very rich sweets. Probably great with a full bodied cigar or pipe tobacco. Overall, for an inexpensive bottle it's been one of my favorites. I much prefer this to other lower priced bourbons like Buffalo Trace. Can't wait to try this in a flask out in the duck blind ;-)

Review from Jon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1372, Created:20081128095027) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Purchased for:17.99
Nose:spiced fruits, char, sweet vanilla
Taste:rye, char, lots of spices, lots of vanilla. must be kept on the top racks because there's alot of flavor here.
Finish:Long and dry. Very spicy with some unique flavors that are signature EC12.
Overall:Always on my shelf. Full bodied. The only bourbon I drink if I have a cold because the flavors still come through. Nothing negative here!!! Great with my pipe full of dark chocolate tobacco!!

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1368, Created:20081126183749, Updated:20081126195719)
Purchased at:PLCB store in Media
Purchased for:$34.99 (big ole bottle)
Info on this bottle:old testament in a late 18th century font
Nose:musty molasses; caramel salt water taffy
Taste:medium spiciness; like eating that taffy in an old cellar ('good' mustiness!); sense of damp leaves and sudden autumnal breezes...
Finish:the oakiness rises up into the nasal cavities...a nice dryness on the tongue...good astringency...the ghost of sweetness lingers (somewhere!)
Overall:i know i bring a different tongue and sense of expectation with every sip on every (other) day...this one is quite unique and i have found few that compare to this flavor profile. this--for me--is the first bourbon that has made 'mustiness' an affirmative characteristic. at 94 proof, this is on the lower side of proofing i prefer...i can go no lower than 90...but this has a punch that even some higher proofs don't seem to have. its complexity lies in its nuanced (though not finicky) profile. unique. balanced. it is what it is. and i like what it are. is. be.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1360, Created:20081122135352) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:C.C. MA
Purchased for:Same as it ever was...
Info on this bottle:EJ-12
Nose:7 months later it still burns my nose. Very dry oak. Grainy. Some butterscotch, vanilla... it's a wake-up call (sneezed). Purchased April of 08. Older bottling... perhaps late 90's into Y2K.
Taste:Hey now, we have some real good vanilla here after 7 months open in the bottle. Very oaky, young wood. I'm having a Deja Vu from back in the Civil War era. It seems to me this would have been a quintessential form of old fashioned bourbon. Brash & Fiery. It's remarkably smooth and tangy at this juncture, but hot. Leather nears the bottom with an incense-like citrus resin. Bottom of the glass remains the best part of the pour...
Finish:Still trying to pin it down... going back for more (that says something). Smooth, round, with an ethanol ending. Not bone-dry, but pretty close. Medium length. Leaves me wanting more...
Overall:After all the riff-raff over EJ12 I thought I'd break it out and add my two cents. Not for the faint-hearted. It will remain in the line-up under SPICEY & HOT. If I were on an expedition to the North Pole it could come in handy. Speaking of Handy - someone stole my damn bottle! BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1253, Created:20080821014553)
Purchased at:Plum's (Cape Cod, MA)
Purchased for:$27
Info on this bottle:Elijah Craig - 12 Year
Nose:Varnish moving to light Clove, Glycerine. It doesn't move me. Everything is hiding beneath a hollow and empty mask.
Taste:A pleasant and quick burn, fairly light viscosity, some Rye, although nothing in particular stands out. It lacks dimension.
Finish:Short and Dry.
Overall:Unimpressed. BB

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 987, Created:20080114155325, Updated:20080114193845)
Purchased at:
Nose:Rye, vanilla, oak, caramel, citrus, and alcohol all come out to play. A good substantial bourbon nose that tells a good story.
Taste:A rich, thick, sweet mouthfeel that is coats the mouth and provides a home for the mild spice to live in as it unfolds toward the middle and back of the mouth. This is a much better than good bourbon experience. I am always partial to the rich bourbons which have lived so closely and intimately with the barrel. There is a dryness that reveals itself at the back of the mouth, but it takes nothing away from the taste.
Finish:The finish is moderate with some sweetness and some dryiness. Twelve years in the wood is not a short time, the wood will have its say, and it does so without yelling it out.
Overall:This time around, I find the bottle to be well balanced and subtle. At times EC has been known to move too far this way or that...........but this bottle achieved the desirable middle ground and is balanced. My several expeiences with EC 12 have been mostly positive. I think it is a bourbon that bourbon lovers will try from time to time, hoping to hit on a very, very good one.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 976, Created:20080109185420)
Purchased at:Bevmo Sac, CA
Purchased for:$20
Info on this bottle:Small batch tag on it...
Nose:leather then sweet... there is a little tobacco in this that seems to fades back to leather.. sort of wild with the first and last scent full of leather..

Taste:sugary leather... ... and RogueHorseman is right "clover".. could not put my finger on it...
Finish:sugar then leather to wood back to leather.. almost a wild flower hint to it...
There is some spices and rye... then ends with a long taste of leather and rye...

actually very harsh throughout... not complex, just harsh...

Overall:I have had this before and I remember is better than this... After I wrote this I looked at the other reviews and it looks like RogueHorseman and I got the same bottling... wish I would have gotten Mike's or abcgroups...

my 18 yr is far better than this ... Maybe they switched them :o)

Review from RogueHorseman (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 904, Created:20071115152109, Updated:20071115152802)
Purchased at:Atlanta
Purchased for:17.95
Info on this bottle:Usual, with "small batch" neck tag
Proof Of this Bottle:94
Nose:More rye than I remember. It is rather pronounced, in fact, but along the mellow lines of Old Overholt as opposed to Wild Turkey. Nice high note of tangerine. Slight floral, but nothing like past samplings where it was very much upfront.
Taste:Not as dry as before, but still dry. Roasted nuts. Sour honey. Clover. Vanilla is a touch more present, while the proof is not as pronounced. EC12, to me anyway, has always tasted more like a 100 than a 90. Or, perhaps it is my steady love affair with Weller Antique 107 skewing my judgment.
Finish:Frankly, this is not the finish I remember and enjoyed so much. It lingers long, but has no complexity or flair. This is a letdown... Again, it reminds me of Old Overholt in that the finish is a long, but rather dull note.
Overall:A disappointment. As others have noted, Elijah 12 varies over time. That is part of it's charm, but makes it somewhat of a hit or miss proposition. I must be honest and give this particular tasting a low mark. Even when particular batches before have not suited my preferences, there were always several high notes to be observed. This one simply falls flat, literally. At other times I have considered this whiskey an absolute bargain for the price, but not today. I'd just as soon be drinking Overholt. On a scale of 1-10, I'd be focusing more on the past rep if I gave this more than a 6.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 897, Created:20071111150612) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Purchased for:$22.00
Info on this bottle:Bought recently in New York
Nose:Mild, very well knit-together
Taste:Very very soft and balanced, a tremendous dram. So smooth and unitary I wonder if it is from one barrel, or if not, it is testament to master blending (i.e., mingling). The rye is there but soft as a whisper and wrapped in non-tannic oak gums of high quality.

Finish:Lingering, leaving a slight dryness and hint of barrel smoke on the palate.
Overall:I rate this a 9.9 out of 10, nearly perfect as a bourbon. I wish I could show this to a cognac blender, I know he would be knocked at the quality (not that I look at cognac as any kind of benchmark, but just because these guys know so much about presenting a smooth rich palate). This is a very brandy-like bourbon indeed. Generally I can tell with a well-aged whiskey the house flavour when it is younger but not here, further aging really does transform the classic HH younger bourbon taste into something different. The improvement in this brand over the years is quite marked in my opinion.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 600, Created:20061010144917) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Nose:Vanilla, citrus, oak, butterscotch, in a rye warming mix that is quite pleasant. It promises a fine taste experience.
Taste:Well, friends and neighbors, keep this twixt you and me, but all the flavor in this bottle of 12 EC stays right in the front of the mouth. The sweetness, the char and the oak never make it past mid-palate.
Finish:Mr Veach finds that EC 12 turns sour in the end. I don't even find an end! It is like your first date when you were focused on a kiss to top off a wonderful evening and the beloved turns and goes into her house with a dismissive 'good night'. You walk back to your parents car unbelieving that something that should have been didn't turn out that way. Sometimes bourbon giveth, and sometimes bourbon taketh away.
Overall:I am being too critical in my old age. EC 12 has a nice nose and some good flavors, but I am getting less tolerant of mediocrity in bourbon. Mind you, EC 12 is far from 'bad' bourbon, but why waste your time when you might be sipping Buffalo Trace or Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO for the same or less dollars. As you all know, the above is only one man's opinion........satisfy your own taste!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 380, Created:20060311080508)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Caramel Corn and oak with ginger spice and floral tones.
Taste:Sweet caramel toffee and oak with a little ginger and allspice.
Finish:Starts sweet but turns to a sour finish.
Overall:Try an old fashioned or manhattan cocktail with this bourbon

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 341, Created:20060203132654)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Nose:A rich nose that has the aroma of corn, pears, vanilla, butterscotch, caramel, with a bit of citrus and oak. Not to be forgotten is the rye which makes the whole thing warm up a bit. A nose to be enjoyed
Taste:The taste is viscous in the mouth. The creamy sweetness comes through and is well balanced by the rye and the dry oak, which add a nice zest of dry spice toward the middle and on to the back of the mouth.
Finish:The finish is moderately long with the rye pepper and alcohol strolling out hand in hand, with the rye being the slightly stronger partner.
Overall:This is an excellent bourbon. Well worth the money. I recommend it with no hesitation!

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 249, Created:20050816184930)
Purchased at:Sherlock's, Marietta
Purchased for:16.99
Info on this bottle:Standard 12 year
Nose:Sweet butterscotch and vanilla with a hint of caramel. The nose on this is simply splendid. Sweet at first with residual oak in the nose.
Taste:This is my new favorite table bourbon, one I'll find myself drinking daily. At first it's butterscotch, sweet vanilla, then robust oak but no over aged oak (like it's 18 year old sister!).
Finish:A sweet punch to the mouth, enough burn to know it's bourbon. In fact, the oak bite never lets you forget it's a good bourbon. The finish is punchy but has class and has a nice long finish.
Overall:This is great. I don't know what else to say. You can't beat it for a bottle under 18 bucks. This is the type of bourbon I'd give to both serious drinkers and newbies alike. If the church would use this instead of cheap wine on Sundays, you'd find my ass in the pews every week!

Review from Brewer (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 41)
Purchased at:Long Island
Purchased for:?
Nose:As I usually do, I compare the characteristics of the nose/taste/finish without water and then with a bit of water added. Uncut, the EC aroma is very pleasant, with notes of orange and oak being prominent.

After adding water, the big difference was that I observed much more of an influence from the rye. The aroma continued to have orange and oak, but now I notice rye and vanilla as well. Very nice!
Taste:Upon tasting, I get some mild spicy flavors that mingle with flavors of honey that combine nicely with the wood and fruit flavors.

After adding the water, the spicy rye flavors are immediately evident and prominent. The palate is creamy.
Finish:The finish is medium/long and is very smooth. There are lingering flavors of corn and honey. The EC is very nice IMHO even uncut with water. With water added, The finish is again medium/long. The spicy flavors remain present in the finish. There is a long, lingering honey flavor that lasts and lasts.
Overall:This is a wonderful Bourbon, both neat and with water. The 12 Year Old Elijah Craig is made all the better as it is also a very moderately priced Bourbon. I was even able to find it on LI! Cheers!

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews