Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameBulleit Frontier
Bottled ByDiageo ,
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 230316
Bottling InfoBulleit Whiskey was distilled at Ancient Age whereas the newer Bulleit Frontier Whiskey is distilled at Four Roses(maybe).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial nosings pick up soft, even flowery scents of violets and juniper; later whiffs identify melded aromas of dried herbs, hay, dry cereal, wild flowers, mushrooms and spice. Plenty of grip at palate entry; midpalate is plump and sweet corn-like. Finish is moderately sweet and long. An understated whiskey that subtly displays multiple levels of complexity.

- Paul Pacult

Review from masterbuilder (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2334, Created:20150315015359)
Purchased at:Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board store #0231
Purchased for:$27.99 + much tax
Info on this bottle:Made from pure, Kentucky limestone-filtered water in the Bulleit family tradition.
Nose:Fruit and corn. Pears, apples. The ethanol is there as well, but not overwhelming. Inviting
Taste:Rye, but sweet. (Does that make sense?) Starts sweet, but quickly goes to wood and pepper. Not real full in the mouth.
Finish:Moderately long. I would like more, but not entirely disappointing. Very rounded and pleasant. The rye fades quickly but the wood and pepper remain.
Overall:Dangerously drinkable. There's enough to keep you interested for a few samples of this one. Bulleit is more complex than you would think for a $30.00 bottle. A ready pour from my modest collection.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Augmister (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2314, Created:20141101221659) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Haxton's, Warwick RI
Purchased for:31.99
Nose:Cherry Vanilla Spice with sweet alcohol aromas Rich oak and earthy tones that are complementary and not overbearing
Taste:Spicy, mild burn of leather and oak Light smokeyness Elements I find pleasant
Finish:Smokey saddle oakeyness that smooths out quickly and gives a very pleasant spicey after taste that lingers nicely and rises back up through the nose clearing the nostrils
Overall:Unique and well thought of on many levels. I drink my bourbon neat and don't find the spicey burn at all unpleasant. Glad I have room on my shelf for this bottle that did not disappoint but surprised!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2289, Created:20131226121342, Updated:20131230083252) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sam's Club
Purchased for:$21/750ml
Info on this bottle:Straight Kentucky Bourbon
Nose:Complex bourbon aroma, vanilla and oak standout.
Taste:Spicy front end switches to complex fruit and mint. Unique and bold. Four Roses lineage comes thru. Reminds me more of Four Roses small batch and not single barrel. I notice Anise (black licorice) which is something I'm not fond of.
Finish:Nice, could be longer, smooth pleasant finish.
Overall:Doesn't taste like ordinary or great bourbon, it has a character all it's own, I like it reasonably well, but it won't be a favorite. Certainly a good value for a bold uniquie bourbon. I liked it on the rocks, but could see it doing well in a bourbon cocktail. The anise flavor is an issue though.

Review from TonyW (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2247, Created:20130920202159, Updated:20131026163304)
Purchased at:Wine Works, Springfield
Purchased for:$21 for 750 ml
Info on this bottle:Frontier Bourton
Nose:Vanilla, cinnamon, toffee
Taste:Vanilla taste up front followed by a nice oily feel in the mouth. Hint of cinnamon flavor and sweetness.
Finish:A bit dry with a decent alcohol burn, not too strong. Not too long of a finish.
Overall:Overall very enjoyable. I added a little room temperature water and that opened up the flavor allowing the sweetness to come through more.

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2205, Created:20130704173728)
Purchased at:Mega Liquor Warehouse - Hemet, Ca
Purchased for:$20
Info on this bottle:Bulleit Frontier
Nose:Oak, toffee, leather, a little sweet corn.
Taste:Spiciness of the rye upfront, charred oak, hint of vanilla, leather, and tobacco.
Finish:Lingering spice of the rye gives way to the heat and alcohol bite.
Overall:Decent bottle for the price. Adds a nice spice to mixed drinks. Allow a single ice cube to melt in it to bring out the vanilla a little more and tone down the bite.

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2160, Created:20130302155513, Updated:20130302155612) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:FloraBama Liquor Store
Purchased for:46.99 + tax
Info on this bottle:10 years old
Nose:Green apples, Caramel and Vanilla later on.
Taste:Sweet front end. Begins to dry in the middle palete. Caramel and vanilla in the beginning. Very little, if any fruit.
Finish:Short smoky dry finish.
Overall:This, in my opinion, is not worth the price tag. I expect more from a 10 y/o bourbon and the fairly high price. For almost the same money you can buy a Four Roses Barrel Proof in any of their ten expressions and have a much better whiskey.

Review from karloff (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2134, Created:20121126071443)
Purchased at:Sunderland
Purchased for:22 pounds
Info on this bottle:Gift from the wife
Nose:Oak smoke nose with fresh herbs.
Taste:Cramel, vanilla and honey.
Finish:Long and smooth.
Overall:a great bourbon and at a nice price

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2091, Created:20120628171030) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:Ripping out of the glass I find rye, corn, orange, champhor, ginger, oak, a hint of flowers, and cinnamon. Lively attack on the nose that is not pleasant, but is appealing.
Taste:Rye spiciness dominates as expected, gingery/cinnamony but it is not raw nor offensive. The is a mite of subtlety, yes, even softness, in the heat of the attack. I chaulk that up to the sweetness that comes from the rye itself.
Finish:Fairly long and tingly with left over cinnamon red hots mixed in with the rye flavors.
Overall:Worth having.

Review from KettleOne (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2050, Created:20120223185607, Updated:20120223185639)
Purchased at:ABC Store in Durham, NC
Purchased for:30
Nose:This bourbon is terrific from beginning to end. Honestly, the nose is a nice vanilla and some sort of spice I cannot identify. I like how this bourbon starts...
Taste:Sweet corn but not to the extent of being too sweet. This one has a lot of flavors and complexity, but what I taste most (which keeps me coming back for more bottles) is the spicyness of the rye. That is what makes this bourbon so special for me; it is different from all the rest. It doesn't fall into the pack in any way.
Finish:Say, I've noticed that this bourbon is best when drunk neat but cold. On the rocks is great, too, but if you don't drink it quickly you sort of miss out on the spicy finish and alcohol burn. This alcohol burn isn't without a rich flavor --- which makes it awesome whisky.
Overall:I love the medicine bottle. Fits nicely in the back of my beverage refrigerator right next to the WT Rare Breed mini bottle. The bottle shape is so old school that it makes me want to pull the cork with my teeth, spit it out and start drinking. However, that isn't civilized. I say,GOOD WORK to the Tax Lawyer Guy who owns Bulleit and keeps changing the distillery's history for no apparent reason when everyone who drinks the bourbon doesn't give a crap about its history.

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2030, Created:20120115023850, Updated:20150911192738)
Purchased at:LCBO Stoney Creek,Ontario,Canada
Purchased for:$38.20
Info on this bottle:Bulleit Bourbon...Frontier Whiskey...
Nose:Fairly sweet.I got big hits of vanilla and caramel with less charred oak than I expected...
Taste:Definately heavy on the corn sweetness with this one.The vanilla and caramel of the nose is muted and the corn is amped up.There is definately a bit more of rye spice than usual,but,not as much as I have been lead to believe.Charred oak in the background...
Finish:This is fairly viscous stuff so the finish definitely lingers.It's definitely woody and nowhere near as sweet as the Maker's 46 I was consuming earlier.It still has that corn sweetness going on but it's muted with the rye spice taking control.I don't find it super "hot" as I have been lead to believe this bourbon is.The finish is similar to Four Roses Small Batch minus the cinnamon and with a bit more spice..So it's pretty good!
Overall:Not bad..I was a little worried I was getting into some fire water from some of the reviews I've read.This is pretty good stuff that won't burn your tongue off.There is definately a "corniness" to the stuff and you definately notice the rye factor with it.Not as sweet and more to the spicey side of things.

I love the bottle..So classic!!And,it came with a cool glass!!!

Good stuff for a change of pace!!!

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2020, Created:20111227182820)
Purchased at:Layton, UT
Purchased for:$25 750ml
Nose:Nice golden amber color.

Very nice vanilla sweetness, caramel, slight cinnamon, and oak.
Taste:The taste is sweet with some very nice vanilla notes, some nice caramel, cinnamon, oak.
Finish:Medium Body. Slightly dry finish. Nice kick, but still pretty smooth. Recommended.
Overall:Really like this one, and not too bad on the pocket.

Review from Blue Smoke (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1918, Created:20110119003833)
Purchased at:Pick n Save (minoqocua,WI)
Purchased for:$22
Nose:Wow, big burst of Carmel, oak n vanilla upon gentle inhale. Breathe deeper n find citrus, flowers nougat. Move ur nose to the edge of glass n picked up cinnamon, cologne n leather. Wow again. Solid n complex nose I wish was in fact, a cologne!!
Taste:I can pick up some pear esq fruit. Real smooth with a nice little alcohol tingle. The rye is highly noticeable n lends itself to a solid corny taste with a hint of scotch hiding behind the scene.
Finish:Sweet warm cornny mash. Almost makes you think you're chewing the distiller's beer!!
Overall:Bulleit is by far one of the BEST bounons on the market today! Thick legs on the glass, solid reddish amber glow and irristible nose invite you to sit back pour a snifter full and let the time slowly drift by while you reflect on life!!

Review from midwestinNY (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1891, Created:20101118232532) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Martin Bros Liquor Store Upper West Side
Purchased for:32 (apparently geographically inflationary)
Nose:Smells great, VERY spicy, but once aired out, much much sweeter. This is a strong bourbon though, don't get it confused with a sweet candy boubon like Basil. This is stout, sweet then salty all of a sudden.
Taste:Awesome, starts off sweet, very caramel tasting then abruptly hits you with tobacco spice and SO much rye in this one, not sure what a "frontier" whiskey is, but this has a lot of rye in it.
Finish:Finishes hard, not totally like a ballet or a sunset fading, you notice it fading away. But somehow, it hits you but it's not abrasive, peppery from the rye but it's balanced with a softened roundness to it.
Overall:This IS the alternate bourbon to have in your collection, when you need something totally different than the what you know is good to throw you a curveball that you'll end up being thankful for. This is special stuff.

Review from MikeRossTky (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1887, Created:20101117061357)
Purchased at:Tokyo Japan Ebisu Station Seijo Ishii
Purchased for:JPY 3990 750ml
Info on this bottle:Distilled in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
Nose:[Olfactory impressions]
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression]
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]
Overall:Saw for the first time being sold in Tokyo. Cork with plastic. Imported by Moet Hennessy Diago.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1878, Created:20101025181153)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$13 for 375 ml
Info on this bottle:Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey
Nose:Rye, flowers, citrus fruit, ginger, cinnamon, and juicy fruit gum. Nice, nice nose, it will challenge you, especially if you are new to bourbon whiskey. It reeks of America!!
Taste:Ah, gee, folks, compared to the nose this is a kitty kat. That rye sweetness I have long argued for is abundant...........and unique! This stuff is gasoline for the soul. While probably not for the faint of heart, it is not an uncivilized and woolly barbarian.......although there must be one in its ancestry. It zippy spice is never in complete command, and neither is the rye bite. Sweetness ever hums at low frequency in the background..........cannot be ignored or forgotten.
Finish:Moderately long, much more moderate than I remembered or expected.
Overall:My opinion is that every person who calls herself a bourbon lover should always have a bottle of Bulleit and Old Granddad bourbons on their shelf. As you all know, that is merely an opinion, but it is not uninformed, and has been defended many times on this very site.

Review from JoshuaNeff (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1551, Created:20090502011859)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:about $25
Nose:Leather, cereal, perhaps toffee hiding in there, hint of smoke with an unpleasant smell of something chemical and flammable. A bit of water opens up floral
Taste:slightly rough with a kick of spice, followed by wood, smoke, grainy, butter. (short lasting)
Finish:kicks up quickly to a bit rough with red hots.
Overall:Nose isn't bad, but the enjoyable flavors are far too brief. The initial taste is slightly rough, with flavors just starting to surface before a hot and distracting finish kicks in- only to vanish leaving as quickly as it came.

Review from BourbonDave (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1412, Created:20090105202809, Updated:20090113174049)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$20
Info on this bottle:750ml
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Corn, vanilla and rye. Very floral. You can pick up orange peel/citrus that is very nice. It has a nice smell that makes me want to try it.
Taste:It is smooth and sweet once you get past the rye. This bourbon is very nice with one ice cube to cut the peppery rye. This is the 3rd time I've had this bourbon and I like it more every time I have it. It reminds me of cinnamon candy.
Finish:A short finish that is dry and a little sweet, not as rough going down as I had thought. Still has that spicy cinnamon flavor from the rye. I like the taste that stays on the palate and lips afterwards.
Overall:For $20 bucks this is a first rate pick. I've changed my mind about this bourbon. I don't think it has the taste that is as rough as the marketing suggests. I think it strikes a nice balance of sweet and spicy (the way I like my bar-b-cue). So if you like spicy bourbon or sweet bourbon this is a great everyday pour. Definitely one of the best buys in bourbon!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1375, Created:20081201164516, Updated:20081201164724)
Purchased at:Ontario Liquor Control Board
Purchased for:$34 (CAN)
Info on this bottle:Standard, current bottling
Nose:Cinnamon red hots, balanced wood and light ethanol
Taste:Medium-bodied, sweetish, flavors like the nose with wood accents
Finish:Pleasant, not quite together perhaps but all-bourbon
Overall:A good bourbon worth its money. No immature or off-tastes and it has good body and flavor. It is a little rough perhaps in the texture or finish. Not quite as good as I recall the initial release (the one made I mean at Four Roses) but still very creditable.

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1200, Created:20080717120327) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Owensboro Kentucky in 2005
Purchased for:Don't remember
Nose:Kind of raw. Lots of alcohol showing thru.
Taste:Raw and un-refined. Not much there to speak of. Slightly sweet. Had to gulp to swallow it.
Finish:Short finish and harsh.
Overall:Thi is not my kind of bourbon. I will not replace it. Four Roses can do a lot better than this.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1199, Created:20080716215019) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Somewhere on Cape Cod
Purchased for:$5
Info on this bottle:Bulleit
Nose:What nose?
Taste:Raw and unrefined.
Finish:Unrefined and Raw.
Overall:Not my bag! No thanks. BB

Review from Luv2ryd2002 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1065, Created:20080411215226) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Bethesda Naval Base
Purchased for:18.00
Nose:you can smell the charred oak barrel strong in this but its not overpowering.
Taste:taste like it smells. coats the mouth nicely.
Finish:good strong finish. This does seem like the real McCoy.
Overall:Okay, Ill admit Im new to the bourbon scene but I really like this alot. I had a sense that this was as authentic a frontier bourbon as one could find today. I felt like pulling the cork out with my teeth a la Rooster Cogburn. A heavy pour in a glass with ice and a splash of water and a good cigar makes the world seem right.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 857, Created:20071012201326)
Purchased at:Walmart in Orlando
Purchased for:18
Info on this bottle:750 ml
Nose:Malt, spice, nutmeg with a tint of orange peal
Taste:
Finish:Long finish with full flavors of vanilla, tobacco, and leather. Last lingering taste is ethanol
Overall:

Review from Lovejones (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 592, Created:20060925221551, Updated:20061001091434) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Old Town Liquors - Louisville, KY
Purchased for:18.00
Nose:Jumped at me, in a good way.
Taste:Welcome. Did not dissapoint the first impression from the nose. Less sharp than I expected.
Finish:Very nice and smooth. I like the way it decayed. Pleasant finish
Overall:Not the greatest, but very good for the price. I prefer this in a mixed drink.
I like the bottle, and am always looking for a good medium range gift bourbon when I travel. This is mine right now.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 582, Created:20060831154416, Updated:20060901043132) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$15
Nose:Bulleit comes on with a dry nose that is lively, interesting, warming, and delicious! The aromas that waft up are: vanilla and char, honeysuckle, brown sugar, leather, rye, fruit (figs?), and bubble gum with a bit of alcohol vapor. Like I said, delicious..........you can almost taste the aromas without a drop dripping into your mouth. This nose has some character! One more time, y'all, DELICIOUS!
Taste:More sweet than the nose foretold, but quite assertive in its spicy mid-palate attack. Not quite as complex as I hoped for, but still quite nice. Only moderately thick and rich, seems 'young' to me (it is frontier whiskey so one would expect it to be young). Promising, but not polished bourbon.
Finish:A short to moderate finish, due primarily, I think, to the high rye content whose lingering spiciness successfully fends off the sweetness.
Overall:I like Bulleit bourbon..........I like teenagers too (my granddaughter is one), because they are full of themselves. But they lack maturity and are sometimes abrasive. Bulleit pleases me in a curious way and I like to have some around for those times when I want something a bit different! I am glad someone offers it (Four Roses is it?)!

Review from BourbonSteve (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 490, Created:20060503072336) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:World Beverage, smyrna , GA
Purchased for:2.00
Nose:One of the best noses' Ive had in awhile! Some plum is present with a bit of wildflowers, TONS of dried apricot.............very nice, somewhat light and fruity.
Taste:Medium balance, not getting alot here....................a little kick , spicy peppers coming on....................not bad.
Finish:Long finish with a bit of a kick to remind you it's "frontier whiskey". Alittle oak and leather at the end.
Overall:Rough around the edges but nice overall. A great buy, one I reccommend. It's a bit like a cowboy who went to see the King. Even though he's in his court he's still a cowboy: Smooth but tough, not as much oak in this bottle and more fruity and lighter than I expected.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 374, Created:20060311073306)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Sweet caramel and spice - cloves, with corn and oak and a hint of citrus.
Taste:Sweet corn and vanilla with a little spicy clove and cinnamon. Very little alcohol burn but a hint of warmth in the mouth.
Finish:Sweet start with a dry oak finish.
Overall:Very nice straight or in a manhattan.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 276, Created:20050926152005)
Purchased at:Part of a basket from Oscar Getz Museum Auction
Info on this bottle:Autographed by Tom Bulleit
Nose:Sweet corn and vanilla with some fruit - ripe pears and spice - nutmeg. Very clean and not overly complex.
Taste:Corn with lots of vanilla and spice - nutmeg and a little allspice with a hint of fruit - pears or apples. No alcohol burn, but a pleasant warmth in the mouth.
Finish:Sweet vanilla and spice that lasts a long time.
Overall:Not a bad sippin bourbon and it would also make a good manhattan or old fashioned cocktail

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 221, Created:20050721103726, Updated:20050721103851) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sherlock's, Marietta, GA
Purchased for:$18
Nose:This bourbon has a nice spicey nose, ya know it's in present company when it's poured.
Taste:I like this bourbon a lot. I think bourbon should have spice and kick. This is a very prounounced flavor, burn and presence. It's slightly sweet, but not much vanilla or caramel.
Finish:This is where Bulleit either makes you or breaks you. If you like a good sippin' whiskey that reminds you on the finish that you're drinkin' it, then Bulleit's for you. If you don't like kick...then ya better move on. This stuff will getcha!
Overall:Overall, I think those who like Knob Creek (or other spicey variants) will thouroughly enjoy Bulleit. It's the best bottle you can get for its price range. They just came out with handles in certain states. It's a great small batch that is deceptively cheap with great quality. Get past your snooty price issues and take a chance. You'll be happy that you did.

Review from craigyp (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 206, Created:20050701063920)
Purchased at:Asda ( Wal Mart ) UK
Purchased for:Present
Info on this bottle:Distilled in Kentucky
Nose:Good strong impressionable smell. A smell that left me thinking tis wasnt going to be weak and poor. A smell that made me want to drink it.
Taste:Definatly not sweet compared to other bourbons. Taste backed up the strong smell. Halfway house to me between sweet style bourbons and a weakish middle of the road scotch whisky.
Finish:dark and powerfull. taste continued throughout the drink but in no way burned or ripped. Smooth and powerfull
Overall:Good drinking whisky. If you want to sit down after work, chill relax and let your mind flow into your whisky to me this is a good starter....

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 168)
Purchased at:Sigman Spirits, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$15
Nose:Rye, camphor, corn, vanilla
Taste:A burst of rye, camphor and corn sweetness. This frontier bourbon is not suble, nor is it really assaultive. It is boisterous and young tasting.
Finish:A bit dry with a decided alcohol burn for a 90 proofer. Still, a lingering sweetness that is far from unpleasant
Overall:It is aptly named, cause it 'seems' like a frontier whiskey. It hits your mouth with a shout of 'I'm a big bad bourbon', then backs off to a gentle sweetness as it slowly dies in the mouth and throat. A nice reminder that bourbon comes in many packages and flavors. It is worth a try and, no doubt, this is just the right whiskey for some people.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 72)
Purchased at:Liqour Barn in Louisville, Kentucky
Purchased for:$15/1L Bottle
Info on this bottle:Distilled in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
Nose:A pleasently complex nose of; charred oak, leather, vanilla toffee, and a dash of nutmeg. There are some playful sweet corn undertones deep in the mix along with some non-descript and very subtle florals.
Taste:Lively corn sweetness; very little vanilla, nugat on the palate rather than the toffee found in the nose. Oak turns a bit tannic.
Finish:Increased tannicness as the spicey components of the rye arrive with some considerable heat. A bit rough.
Overall:Bulleit is a decent enough bourbon for the money. It is a bit different in that it does have a very rough and tumble flavor profile that have would suited a cowboy on a cattle drive just fine. It is unique enough to keep a bottle on hand, but I could not reccomend it as an everyday table bourbon.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews