Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Forester Birthday Bourbon 2003 Spring
Bottled ByBrown-Forman Distillers Company Louisville,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content93 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 9101
Bottling InfoThis rich robust bourbon was barreled in the Spring of 1990. The barrels that were selected for this vintage were stored in a warm area of the maturation warehouse, notably the outer edges of the maturation ricks on the upper floors. There the resting bourbon was exposed to a wide range of temperature extremes that allowed it to penetrate deeply into the barrel wood. Over the years the bourbon absorbed a rich level of sweet, spicy wood notes.

Review from drinkdrankdrunk (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1647, Created:20090812130407, Updated:20090813142955)
Purchased at:Stop and Save Liquor Dallas
Purchased for:$35
Nose:Huge complex nose, floral, maple syrup, brown sugar, it has everything, the alcohol burn fills the nose, but not enough to make you pull away, you can really breathe this one in deep.
Taste:Smooth, balanced, rye spices up front, peaks with an oak punch and fades to corn and cinnamon. Very much like a roller coaster of flavor.
Finish:Long but ends abrubtly. Lots of oak in the finish.
Overall:This is a special bottle, full of Old Forester charm and depth. Alot to think about so you have to pull up a chair and just, smell, swirl, sip and really concentrate on the flavors that rush across your palate. Too many different flavors for me to identify, but very enjoyable! This was a splurge purchase for me and it will be savored.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1494, Created:20090220181841)
Purchased at:Sudbury, MA
Purchased for:see above
Info on this bottle:Old Forester Birthday / Fall 1990
Nose:After having popped this bottle back in July 08 - Now? I haven't touched this bottle since September and it hit the pinnacle. This is richer, broader in profile, and bigger than the 2007. It's incredibly delicious seven months later... I had only taken two or three shots from the bottle and let it be. Take everything that the 07 has, add the 06 in the nose, plus a touch of 05 in the body, then take the edge off. That's what I have here...
Taste:The more patient we become the greater the pleasure. Coconut, malt, rare spice, legs like ballerina, fine hard candy notes- layered. And more...
Finish:Rare honey. Sassy. Warms the entire palette and especially around the gumline.
Overall:I love this bourbon! Bottom of the glass show rare leather... (Reidel Tulip). BB

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1215, Created:20080730183822) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sudbury, MA
Purchased for:$39 (rare find)
Info on this bottle:Old Forester BB = Fall 1990
Nose:The color in the bottle is of tangerine/oranges. Luminescent. The nose is vibrant and extremely well-balanced. Fine Citrus, Tangerine, Tea, Dry Spice, Dried Fruit, Apricot. Tight and mottled along with lots of definition. This is interesting bourbon... some good O.F. Rye, a Honey tone surfaces as it keeps opening... light Caraway, some Nutmeg and Cinnamon, Bubble Gum (Bazooka), and as always = pick your Caramel.
Taste:Slow and luscious. Soft burn. Ultimately refined. There's a Sugar Water meets Rye component that unmistakable, blending with Honey and a slight Mint. This is gorgeous...
Finish:Medium length. Medium viscosity. Fairly quick with a lengthy warm and lingering note. 60-90 thereafter.
Overall:With the slightest touch of spring water the nose evolves with a similarity to Saz 18. In a blindfold test I could have been fooled. Banana... and you know how this my element. Pineapple-ish essence. Ripe Fruit with Caramel. It doesn't get better... and regardless of any other reviews - this is it! The Caramel and Rye is still coming through the Fruit... This is real special. 13 Years? Tasting profile, I would have guessed 18. Mellowed. BB

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 112)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn on Hurstbourne Lane, Louisville
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liqor store
Proof Of this Bottle:93
Nose:Apples and caramel with a hint of spice - nutmeg. A little oak and flowers.
Taste: A burst of alcohol heat followed by apples and caramel with some cinimmon spice leading into a woody dryness.
Finish:Very woody and tannic at first but sweetns up as it progresses. It has a long finish that is very nice.
Overall:A very good bourbon to highlight wood flavors. Actually a little woodier than I prefer on a regular basis, but nice.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews