Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameJim Beam Rye
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 36585
Bottling Info

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1761, Created:20091121065341, Updated:20091121081323)
Purchased at:Bought by a friend in DEnver
Purchased for:Not expensive
Info on this bottle:current bottling
Nose:Rounded, mild, some wood and light grains
Taste:Good natural whiskey taste and without the grassy/coppery /anise-like hit I recall from this brand some years ago. Well-modulated and good depth for a 4-year old whiskey. I don't know if a change was heralded by the newish buff labeling or it is just the serendipity of the bottle, but I like it a lot.
Finish:Short but pleasant.
Overall:This was a pleasant surprise and is an excellent value. About 5 years ago, I recall not being able to finish a glass from the old canary-yellow label bottle; this current one is much better.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from independant (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1733, Created:20091022072727)
Purchased at:VA ABC
Purchased for:17.95
Info on this bottle:Standard
Nose:Pepper and rye. You know this is a rye whiskey.
Taste:The nose lets you know you are about to get a spicy treat but the taste lets you down. Nothing bad, it is that you almost expect more from a rye. Almost like the spicy from the nose is muted.
Finish:A good strong spicy finish the kind you look for in a rye whiskey, at least one at 80 proof. The finish almost makes you forget the lack of taste.
Overall:By far the best thing out there with Jim Beam on the label, But not the best rye whiskey out there even at this price point.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1711, Created:20091002000310, Updated:20131016004440)
Purchased at:Dominick's
Nose:Black pepper mostly, maybe some apple, Nice and strong w/ well hidden alcohol.
Taste:After a quick citrusy burst, it's smooth with an emphasis on spice. I found it more mild than the nose predicted, which was kind of a let down.
Finish:Light alcohol which is not at all unpleasant, w/ a lingering sweetness contrasted by a tart bite.
Overall:This might be the best of anything Beam related. It is a very fine sipping whiskey, reasonably complex but not at all harsh. To find comparable complexity in Beam's bourbon's you'd have to shell out for Baker's or Booker's either of which is honestly too harsh to be truly enjoyable, which is not a problem here.

As a cocktail-related aside, I find this rye to work just perfectly in the perfect Manhattan recipe (i.e. a Manhattan made w/ both sweet and dry vermouth). I can't think of one I like better in such a concoction. It is not assertive enough to hold it's own against the Angostura in a regular Manhattan though.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1419, Created:20090111130422)
Purchased at:Part of a three Blind Rye tasting
Purchased for:Sailor
Nose:It???s a rye alright. Get the rye on the nose with some nice fall spices. There is no alc to speak of. Things seem a little muted. I might have to drop a little water into this after the first round of tasting.

There is some light oak, leather, and maybe some wet leaves during the fall. That nice scent when the leaves have fallen and the rain has soaked the gound with an all night drizzle
Taste:Light, little spice and rye, not real alc to it. Some of this wet earth tones are there with just a touch of wood. Cannot claim oak at thin point
Finish:Rye and spice but very soft. Some pumpkin spice pops up at about 15 seconds, but overall this is very mellow.
Overall:Blind comments first:
If I had to guess, I would say around 80 proof. I do not know my ryes well enough yet to guess maker with any certainty, but Jim Beam comes to mind. Not a bad rye, but nothing to write home about.

The beam taste gave this away to me. I think this bottle runs $10-15. A great way to have a light rye on your shelf without spending a mint

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1400, Created:20081223185321, Updated:20090102172438) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Yetter's (Claymont, DE)
Purchased for:$10.99
Info on this bottle:newer parchment label
Nose:cream soda, licorice (not quite anise...), aromatic sawdust (a good thing) or should i say, sawmill? oh, and now i sense camphor. and old, broke-in leather that's been sitting in the shed for a decade or so.
Taste:slight spicey, but at 80 proof, yep, you gotta really focus on what is...subtle? not there? that's the trick. catching a pleasant sweetness, more maple syrup than black-strap molasses. wish it was thicker and more assertive.
Finish:not long at all, but a nice linger-to-fade: sweetness disappears first after 5 or so seconds...that rye spice hangs on for 10 seconds...60 seconds later, i can sense that sawdust/millwork olfactory impression descended into the mouth. ok...i admit, nice!
Overall:JB rye isn't trying to pretend to be anything else but what it is...and what it is IS what i respect and will try to befriend so i can be privy to the secrets i KNOW it harbors. i hope i'm not duped next time i'm invited to the informal gathering around the fire!

p.s. it made an already nice Trader Joe's egg nog, even noggier...

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1194, Created:20080711005724)
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA
Purchased for:$12 (Yellow Label and Plastic Yellow Cap as seen in picture)
Info on this bottle:Jim Beam RYE
Nose:Light Pepper and Banana.
Taste:The old Pine Brothers Honey Cough Drops. Light Rye. Good balance. Nothing offensive. Good burn, comforting and not at all harsh. I'm amazed... it's actually quite good.
Finish:Short to medium in length.
Overall:This was a back-to-basics experiment, returning back thirty-plus years to the very first Rye I had ever tasted. I will forever remain a Rye Fan and going back to revisit ones initial impressions is vital, very important. It helps us to understand and APPRECIATE the finer things in life, no matter how simple or sophisticated... and this little bugger actually shows a hint of leather at the bottom of the glass! It was fun... Cheers BB

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 404, Created:20060318065150)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Rye spice - pepper and nutmeg, with some vanilla and apples.
Taste:Vanilla and apples with spice - pepper, cinnamon and mint, with a little oak wood.
Finish:Clean and spicy. Very short with only a little sweetness at the end.
Overall:Not a complex drink - try it in a cocktail.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 282, Created:20050930134154)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:13.99
Info on this bottle:Straight Rye Whiskey
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:The distinctive spicy smell of rye greets the nose first. As one lets it warm in the glass and open up, out comes a whiff of tobacco, corn, and mild spices. A pleasant uncomplicated nose.
Taste:The edge is taken off the rye sharpness by the sweetness, which tastes more of barley malt than corn. The taste is not complex but it is good and smooth.
Finish:The finish is dry and of medium length with rye crowding out the malt as the embers die in the mouth.
Overall:Jim Beam Rye reminds me of a good Irish Whiskey in its smoothness and malt sweetness......... but the rye bite is ever present to add its own zest. For my money an excellent buy and a good product. It is a very nice sipping whiskey. I may just add a dash to some of my 'left on the shelf' bourbons to see if it adds backbone!

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews